+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I messed up my hip today. Thoughts?  (Read 4365 times)

PistolPete

I messed up my hip today. Thoughts?
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »
I'm exactly 1 month shy of my 3 year Right Hip Resurfacing.  Anyways, things have been really good since.  I've been working out a ton and feeling good.  I teach Martial Arts and things have been going good.  I'm also into bodybuilding and I'm not huge but I'm 205lbs 5'6" tall.

Anyways, tonight while teaching a kickboxing class I was demonstrating squat jumps and I can jump REALLY high.  As I was doing these and tucking my knees towards my chest when I finished something was really wrong.  My hip was now making a grinding feeling and was clicking like crazy.  That was 5 hours ago and it's really bothering me.  It isn't painful so I'm thinking that's a good sign but it still feels like it's grinding and it's popping and I feel my body is out of alignment.

I'm hoping I just tweaked something and it will be better in a few days.  If it's not better by Wednesday I will call my Surgeon to see if he has any recommendations and to get a new X-Ray.  Do you think I just over did it and I need to take it easy with it for a few days?

Last Thursday (today is Sunday) was leg day at the gym and I was able to go fairly heavy with squats and leg presses because I was feeling good.  In the past when i go heavy on leg day I would be limping around for the next week or two.  Anyways, what do you think?  Just a minor setback or something more serious?

Thanks for listening.  I haven't been on this forum in forever which in a lot of ways is a good thing but I'm so glad that this resource is always available.

John C

Re: I messed up my hip today. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »
I like your plan that if its not better by Wednesday, check with your doctor and talk about an x-ray. Clicking and grinding does not sound like a soft tissue problem, and does sound mechanical. However if you are not in pain, it could make sense to wait until Wednesday to see if it resolves itself.
Depending on your rapport with your surgeon, you might even give him a call on Monday just to get his take on the situation and see what he advises.
Good luck, and let us know it turns out.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:07:15 AM »
Hi Pete long time! I agree with John mate.

Hope you sort it out and your ok!

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »
Hey Pete! Good to hear from you.

I had something like it about eight months ago. I worked out hard on the bag and had ramped up the weights, when my back / hip just gave up for a while. I had also wiped out earlier during our wonderful winter, so all in all was in pain on my lower back, etc.

I felt like I had done something to my hip. I had my four year anniversary coming up in a few months, so decided to move it up and let Dr. Snyder look at the hip. Also decided to have metal ions done, etc.

Anyways, I went in to face the music, preparing myself for a revision in my drama filled mind. The result was that both hips were fine, my blood levels were low, I just probably had injured myself somehow. Physical therapy.

If it doesn't hurt, it probably is fine, but give Snyder a call and clear your mind if it persists. You might have been dehydrated, low synovial fluid and had it come into contact. Best thing to do is to face it and clear your mind if it keeps being an issue.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've been doing doing great.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback.  Long time no talk but glad you two are still active here.  You're both a huge asset to this forum.  I've been doing a ton which is prob. why I'm in this situation.  I called Dr. Snyder's office today and they said I need to come in because it's not normal what I'm experiencing.  I have an appointment with him Friday morning.  There still isn't any pain but something is def. wrong.  I'm hoping it's just some inflamation or something of that sort.  Time will tell.

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:16:56 AM »
Good luck with the checkup, Pistol! Please keep us informed.
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
Pete;

Sounds unusual, but I have not experienced that.  I'm 2 days past my 3rd year anniversary on my first one also.  Long ago and far away I was an Ishinryu student and can imagine how what you described might be pushing the envelope a little.

Best hopes this is just muscular or perhaps bursa related, and nothing serious.  Keep us posted, many here pulling for you.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

PistolPete

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »
Now I am freaking out.  When I go up the stairs my hip is squeaking....  This can't be good.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »
Think positive mate
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

chuckm

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
It really doesn't sound like you displaced the resurfacing device - no severe sharp pain. You may have really over stretched and stressed the synovia and now maybe there is some temporary synovial fluid loss. That would explain the grinding and squeaking because a lack of lubrication.
Take it easy and see what surgeon says.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Arrojo

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 04:50:08 PM »
Yikes!  Good luck.  I was doing some squat jumps yesterday as part of P90X.  I agree though, if you arent in pain, then chuckm's theory about the fluid makes sense.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »
Have you popped your Bursa maybe and therefore lost all your fluid in the joint?
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

PistolPete

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »
Have you popped your Bursa maybe and therefore lost all your fluid in the joint?

I'm not sure to be totally honest.  Today is a much better day which I'm happy for.  2 more days until I meet with my surgeon to see what's going on.  I'm thinking I just tweaked something and that i'll be fine.  In the meantime I'm just taking things easy and trying not to stress the hip out at all.  Hoping this is a speedbump and not a roadblock.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
I know nothing of what it feels like if a resurfacing goes bad but I assume that it's pretty painful and I think your know it was broke mate
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »
It has gotten better with each day so I'm thinking that's a good thing.  It is more stable than it has been today which I'm happy about.  Still no pain which is a great sign and I meet with my surgeon first thing tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed.

PistolPete

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »
I had my appointment today and after the X-Rays and a few other tests my surgeon said everything looks perfect.  I just overdid it and was prob. dehydrated.  He said just make sure that I'm staying really hydrated prior to working out and it should be fine.  He also had me do a blood ion test just to be certain but I won't have the results back until next week.  THANK GOD!!!!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »
Knew it! I'm really pleased for you mate!! :)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Tim Bratten

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
Good news! I suppose we're all a little paranoid that something's gonna go wrong with our hip implants. At any rate, I've never heard of a HR actually breaking from activity (I know of a few rare cases where THRs have broken) and I'm glad to hear that's not what happened to you. 
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »
That's great Pete! Dr. Snyder and I had the same talk about eight months ago. Very cool and keep that hydration going.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
I'm glad that I didn't mess this thing up.  It's a major relief for sure.  I just need to be smart moving forward.  I did find out that my left hip is on its way out though.  Dr. Snyder said I've got maybe 2 years left on it and I "might" be able to push it out to 3 years.  Guess my bilateral will be here sooner than I wanted it to be.  Oh well such is life

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat