+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Groin/Joint pain  (Read 6376 times)

Daytona Dave

Groin/Joint pain
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem?
I am 4 weeks post op on my left BHR. Everything is going fantastic and I am walking 2 miles most days on 1 stick and am virtually pain free.
My problem is my 5yr old right BHR.
Now that I am virtually off all pain killers, and bearing in mind I have taken various over the last year and a half for my left hip , I am getting a pain in my right hip at the front in the groin area.
Its hard to tell if its muscular or direct joint related.  All I know is after about half a mile of walking it starts to ache, getting worse when walking up slopes, then usually eases slightly when walking on level surfaces.
The last five years has not seen me do much walking but I have a very active job so the hip has been tested quite a bit and without any problems.
In addition to that when I went through my x-rays for my latest hip the surgeon commented that the older BHR looked fine ( not that I knew I had this problem at that point).
I will ask the surgeon more when I return for my check up but in the meantime has anyone experienced anything like this and was it just a muscular thing and what exercises helped?

chuckm

Re: Groin/Joint pain
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
Daytona Dave, congrats on second BHR. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING hurts for months one you become active again. Take a few days off from walking so the irritated psoas tendon can calm down. Walking using a stick every day is certainly going to result in aches and pains somewhere. The good leg (old BHR) is having to work especially hard while the new one heals.
Sounds like a typical recovery. If something hurts, back off - especially if starts to creep in during repetition. Once you get back to walking un aided and regain some muscle balance I'm sure the old hip will be no issue.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Daytona Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »
Noted Chuckm. I think patience is the name of the game.
But a stroke of luck last night. We went to friends for dinner and one of the other guests was only a physiotherapist with experience in resurfacing. He was fairly certain it sounds like Bursitis. So I am going to see him next week and he was confident that he will be able to sort it.
So hopefully result!  :)

susannatuttapanna

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:49:28 AM »
I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Robert Gilbert in 2010. Doing well, lots of walking, cycling, and some circuit training. I notice in yoga classes that my hip flexor is tight. And my left hip flexor is also tight (moreso now than pre-surgery). I think, in time, I will gain mobility. It does take time to heal, and stretching is very important.

Best wishes to you! And congratulations for being on the other side of the surgery.

Susan
Susan, scheduled for Hip Resurfacing, October 2010, Dr. Robert Gilbert

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM