+-

Author Topic: Dr.Pritchett Explains Metal Free Cementless Hip Resurfacing Device 2014  (Read 6995 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
Dr. Pritchett recently did a video about the metal free cementless hip resurfacing device he uses called the Synovo Preserve

Here is the link to the video.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/pritchett-metal-free-hip-resurfacing-2014.php

It is always interesting learning about different devices. There are also new people wondering about Dr. Pritchett and the metal free device.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DeviceGuy

Re: Dr.Pritchett Explains Metal Free Cementless Hip Resurfacing Device 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
I am very interested in the Synovo Preserve resurfacing system being used by Dr. Pritchett in Seattle.  It is difficult getting much information on this prosthesis.  Additionally, I can't find another physician that speaks on it's attributes.  The technology makes very good sense to me but if it's that good why isn't it garnishing more attention? Has anyone had this system implanted that can share their experience for both the doctor and the device?  Thanks very much.
L-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 12/14
R-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 04/15

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
The device is very new device guy hence why actual clinical data will be fairly scarce at the moment. I don't think it will be helped by the fact that the US as fat as I'm aware doesn't have a "registry" like some other countries do.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
Hi

Here are Dr. Pritchett patient stories

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/dr-pritchett

http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._Pritchett_Hip_Stories_

There are members here that have the Synovo device.  Hopefully some of them might respond to you.

Why don't you start a new topic, something like - Want to talk to Dr. Pritchett Patients

Pat
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:54:50 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DeviceGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
Thanks Pat, will do.

shabbis

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
Dr Pritchett will be resurfacing my left hip on 11/25. I asked about the Synovo Preserve, but he recommended the BHR MoM for my requirements (was an avid runner, surfer, skier, etc). If I remember correctly, he said the Synovo is better for people with smaller femoral heads and possibly less active.

I am also very nervous about the procedure, post-op pain and recovery, I've never had major surgery before.
11/25/2014 LBHR Dr Pritchett

DeviceGuy

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:18:39 AM »
Shabbis, that may answer some of my questions.  I too am very active sports wise.  While I don't want to test the implant to it's limits, I would like to not have to worry that I am over doing my activities.  It may be that for a larger size femur head allowance and higher than sedentary life style, a MoM prosthesis would be best.  It just makes sense to me that a material as close to the cushioning effect of cartilage would be best.  But if such a material hasn't been developed that can withstand long term "weekend warrior" use, you have to go with what is working most appropriately.
The attributes of the Synovo Preserve really have me intrigued but may not be ready for above average usage for some of us.  Best of luck on the 25th.

livendive

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:23:22 PM »
Dr Pritchett is resurfacing my right hip on January 5th, with my left hip to follow in February or March.  I have pretty strong skin reactions to metal and thus inquired about the Synovo Preserve and the strengths and weaknesses as compared to the MoM BHR.  Given my age (45) and active lifestyle (skydiving, snowboarding, running), Dr. Pritchett advised that I go with the BHR.  He also believed that he would likely be able to revise to the Synovo Preserve in the unlikely event that I develop a reaction to the CoCr alloy in a BHR. 

That said, the Synovo system isn't exactly metal free.  Both sides of the joint are titanium, however the femoral side of the bearing surface has been ceramicized with titanium nitrite and the acetabular side includes a crosslinked high density polyethylene liner.  So while the prostheses are primarily titanium (one of the least bioreactive metals), the bearing surface itself is ceramic on plastic.
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
I am also very nervous about the procedure, post-op pain and recovery, I've never had major surgery before.
Shabbis, that's common to a lot of us Hippies. Use this forum as much as you need for advice. Chances are someone here has experienced what you'll be reporting.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

seahip

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:30:37 AM »
I'm also going to have HR by Dr. Pritchett. HE advised me the same. He said the default is for men to do Birmihgam and women synovo because the synovo is typically used for smaller sized heads. In some cases if cup placement angle is an issue ( like dysplasia ) then he may alter the procedure to use synovo instead of birmingham and has done so in some cases.

Synovo is not totally new. He said he has been doing for 10 years, but it hasn't made economic sense for him to expand it out which will take time effort and money. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:31:53 AM by seahip »

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements