+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best thr device?  (Read 8144 times)

horse doc

Best thr device?
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
I need to get my hip fixed. As of 3 years ago, I wasn't a candidate for resurfacing. I was contemplating going from the USA to McMinn for a bmhr and that's still a remote option if I determine that its that much better than a thr.

I've procrastinated for 3 years and it seems there has been a lot of flux regarding device usage.

I'm late forties, tall skinny male, I need to be able to ride my sport horses and flog my dirtbike in the woods.

Any specific device recommendations for or against will be appreciated.

Tim Bratten

Re: Best thr device?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
So far I'm real happy with the THR I got from De Smet. It's a mix of components from two manufacturers that took him awhile to settle on, but he seems to be pleased with the results he's getting. I imagine if you want this particular "device" you would be best off letting him do the surgery. In fact, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the most important decision is picking the right surgeon (and letting them put in the device that works well for them). Anyways, here's a video where he talks about hip resurfacing and how, from the results he is seeing, his improved THR system is working practically as well. In the video he says, in terms of functionality (for the average person) there is virtually no difference between his THR system and HR.   

http://vimeo.com/12310293

PS: at your age, IMHO, for the sake of bone conservation, it might be to your advantage to consider resurfacing! Also HR might be better at handling a crash on the dirtbike or a fall from a horse, because in rare cases THRs have been known to break.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:46:26 PM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
Hi

The BMHR is no longer available.  For some reason Smith & Nephew decided to no longer produce it for use either here or overseas.  Some of the surgeons overseas that used it a lot were disappointed.  Other than that, I don't know any more about it.

Just thought you would want to know.  Maybe McMinn will tell you a reason.

I would get several free opinions via email from the experienced surgeons as to what would be best for you.  All the experienced hr surgeons also do thrs.

The are marked on my list:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
I've just emailed the McMinn centre to ask why the BMHR has been discontinued.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

horse doc

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I would guess that many surface hippies started their surgeon search by choosing a device first (HR instead of THR)

My first surgeon repaired my femoral neck fracture in an emergency situation.  When pain started a year later he offered large diameter MoM THR.  During subsequent consults he withdrew that offer as his group abandoned MoM implants in response to presentations given at the annual joint conference. 

I went locally to one of the Docs on the list with 500 resurfs a couple of years ago.  He only offered me a THR (metal on plastic) when i decide things are bad enough.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't do HR any more and he acted like he had never heard of Mr McMinn.

Radiographs emailed and opinions/recommendations gained almost 3 years ago:

Dr Rogerson: See Mr McMinn for bmhr
Dr Bose: bmhr maybe, Deltamotion THR preferably
Dr Su: bmhr by McMinn or Bose but didn't rule out BHR at HSS
Mr McMinn:bmhr maybe

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »
Personally I would feel comfortable allowing any of those surgeons make the device choice for me. Explain your needs and see what they come up with
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:48:40 AM »
  I would guess that many surface hippies started their surgeon search by choosing a device first (HR instead of THR)
That wasn't how it worked for me. My chiropractor recommended a surgeon who's relatively close by. I just went to Dr. Gross based on the referral and didn't question what kind of device he was using, I was just happy that he said he could fix me (which he did!). I think the choice of surgeon outweighs the choice of device.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

HippyDogwood

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »

The BMHR is no longer available.  For some reason Smith & Nephew decided to no longer produce it for use either here or overseas.  Some of the surgeons overseas that used it a lot were disappointed.  Other than that, I don't know any more about it.

Wow - I hadn't seen that

I wonder whether guys like McMinn have stockpiled components to at least have availability for a while?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
Just had an email back from the McMinn centre. They can't say why the BMHR is no longer available.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Some Dude

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 06:20:10 AM »
I was revised to a Zimmer "Fit More" ceramic on poly thr. I'm very happy with it at 15 months out. Here it is next to a bhr

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »
What stem is that mate? Looks cool :)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Some Dude

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
Zimmer "Fit More" is what I was told. On my x-rays (sorry haven't downloaded them) the "Knuckle" ? on the top of the femur was still almost all the way there, so it's pounded into a fairly fat piece of bone and is short enough to allow for future revisions (if needed), wich I really hope isn't  ;D

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
Looks cool mate! It looks a bit like a corin mini hip :)  ;D
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

luann again

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
Hey Horse Doc,
 I have been an extreme horseback rider and trainer my entire life. I was recommended by a Dr that did THR to get a HR because of my age and active lifestyle. I received a Wright C+ (my surgeon discussed the chioce with me, I am a petite female and he said the size of the C+ fit me better) 4 and 1/2 years ago in my right hip. I had osteoarthritis and "bone spurs" galore. Drs were not sure if it was due to riding injury or not ( I was a thoroughbred/QH jockey for about 5 years in the late 80's, early 90's- could have been wear and tear?).
To make a long story short, best decision I ever made!! I can ride better than ever! No pain (or at least, very little! I have aches everywhere!lol!) I still break colts,train cutting horse, show reiners, take long trail rides, etc!
A lot of my anecdotes on the HR recovery and riding can be seen here under Horseback riding (sports).
Good luck! Hope this helps!
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz