+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: first hip scheduled, now to prepare  (Read 4866 times)

livendive

first hip scheduled, now to prepare
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
I've found the article here on necessary items for rehabilitation helpful.  I'll probably skip the bar by a toilet or shower, though getting into the shower does sound like it might be challenging.  I'm keepin an eye on craigslist for a reclining chair for sleep.  I'm normally a belly/side sleeper and have never been able to sleep on my back, even during a couple 6 day hospital stays, so I might as well get myself something comfortable to relax in where I won't be disturbing my wife by tossing, turning, and complaining all night.  I've never owned a lay-z-boy type chair before...safe to assume they're all about the same and will fit the bill nicely?  I'm also watching ebay for a good deal on some millenial elbow crutches...since I'm going to need them again for my second hip 6-8 weeks after the first, I might as well splurge and get a decent pair.  On that subject, I'm wondering how big the difference is between a cane and an elbow crutch.  Do I need both? Or is there no real difference between one crutch and a cane?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions too.
Dave
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

Daytona Dave

Re: first hip scheduled, now to prepare
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:35 AM »
In my case I was only on the crutches for 1 day in hospital then onto sticks for up to 4 weeks, then 1 stick up to my 6week check up which I had yesterday. I am now only going to use a stick on my longer walks.
I know what you mean about lying on your back in the early days. I found it hard. I put a pillow behind my knees and this made a difference to comfort. Then after a few weeks I would turn onto my non injury side for a short time but with the pillow between my legs. I found this stopped the operated side moving as much. Not recommending this for everyone, but it did work for me.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
I had the bathroom counter right next to the toilet, so that worked for stable support for me.

I did need something stable, so whatever works for you is fine, just practice getting up using mostly your arms, see how that works.

I never slept on my back either, but found I could later, so long as I had a pillow under my knees.

I had occupational therapy at the hospital where they showed me the best way to get in / out of the tub / shower that I had. Do you have occupational therapy at your hospital?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

China Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »
my most helpful element was the elevated toilet seat with arm rests and the elbow crutch. don't worry, you will learn to sleep on your back!
..... I will find out

livendive

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:06:35 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I do get the impression that the hospital (Swedish) has occupational therapists on hand that want to see patients demonstrate ability to do everyday tasks like get in/out of a car, in/out of a shower, and up/down stairs.  I went aheaed and bought a couch this weekend with power recliners on both sides.  I had planned on just getting a cheap manual recliner off Craigslist, but I stopped by a furniture store to see how comfortable I found the position and realized getting out of a chair with a healing hip and no lever to assist collapse of the leg rest would be difficult.  Bonus - with power headrests too, yesterday it proved the most comfortable football watching seat I've ever sat in. lol

The hospital mailed me a notebook of paperwork and guidance, in part for getting bloodwork, an EKG, and a general physical from my primary physician prior to my surgery.  There are also requirements to attend a "your new joint" seminar, held daily at the hospital.  I have to travel to Seattle for another Dr appt (neck) next week, so will knock out that seminar then.  There's also a pre-surgery "check-in" appointment to be conducted, but it appears I can accomplish that remotely by phone.  I'm a bit confused on the elevated toilet seat part, as one part of the book indicates that doesn't apply to me (the picture is X'd out) yet another part says I'll be using it for several weeks to abide by the 90 degree restriction.  I'll follow up with Dr Pritchett's assistant on that one.  We do have counters next to each toilet in our house, and it sounds like those will be helpful.
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
I'd recommend getting an elevated toilet seat. Crouching is going to be uncomfortable for while post-op and you don't want to take any chances.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

dfox

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
I didn't think I would be able to sleep on my back since I'm a side sleeper but actually it wasn't a problem. Slept just fine on my back.  I did spend quite a bit of time in the lazy boy chair with my legs up while icing my hip.  I used 2 large gel type ice packs several times a day for the first 6 weeks.  I'm sold out on icing an injury to reduce the swelling which allows blood to flow to the area speeding the healing process.

Worst part for me was getting my leg in and out of bed. My leg felt like a big dead log and moving it to the side was painful. I had to use my hands under my knee or a towel around my foot to help lift my leg and move it to the side. Hospital also gave me a nice nylon strap that you could hook around your foot and pull on to lift your leg.

Also for the first 2 weeks I had to get out of bed every 2 hours to urinate.  After that the frequency went back to normal.

Overall though it really wasn't too bad and very much worth the temporary discomfort.

RBHR, 5/2014, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »
I found the elevated toilet seat was rubbish just sat with my leg out in front of instead of bending it.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:47:00 AM »
It's for a little later on in the rehab but I found a wobble cusion very very useful for regaining Propreoception and strengthening all my small muscles again!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

livendive

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
Well, Monday my crutches and Krutch Kaddy, sock putter-onner, and grabber came in.  Tuesday I got all the new furniture in place.  This morning I did my pre-operative physical and EKG.  Tomorrow I'll attend a pre joint replacement seminar at Swedish, then all I have left is the waiting.  I'm ready to get this done and start reclaiming my life!

RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

dfox

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
Thought of another item for you to consider.

My sister, a registered nurse, recommended that I take the pain medication even though I don't like using any kind of drugs. Her reason was that I would be able to do more physical therapy and get up and move around more if I wasn't in pain.

Made sense to me so I took the pain medications including narcotics for the first week and then was able to start tapering off.  Got through the occupational therapy at the hospital easily and was discharged on the 2nd day after the surgery. After 10 days the pain was manageable without using the narcotics.

You are right about reclaiming your life! It's great.

Best of luck to you

RBHR, 5/2014, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

livendive

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Doing the short-term preauthorization paperwork at work today and it occurred to me that others here might find a story from this weekend amusing.

I was visiting with family and my mom asked about my surgery schedule and details.  I'm getting a BHR on the right side on January 5th.  I'll also be getting a BHR on the left side at some point >6 weeks later.  I'm also in need of a neck surgery (fusion or disc replacement still undetermined), but it's unclear in which order the left hip and neck will occur.  My mom also asked whether I was getting the same implant as her brother, a titanium/ceramic/HDPE THR and I explained no, I had opted for a slightly different procedure due to my age and desired activity level.  She seemed taken aback, suggesting that her brother's THR should be fine for me, but then mentioned that 5+ years post-op he's *still* on a 90 degree restriction and has been to the ER several times to have his dislocated hip reduced!  In what world is that a good outcome?!  It just goes to show that for folks who don't do their homework, any outcome that matches the expectations their surgeons give them is considered a win.  Sure, he got rid of the constant pain, but he has dislocated his THR merely bending over to fasten his ski boots (which I'm sure makes for a fun 50 mile car ride down a snow-covered mountain and to the nearest ER).
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

JHippy

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 09:27:25 PM »
Yea whenever I read or hear about how successful any type of procedure is I always ask "define success".
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

jss

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »
Wow!  Your poor brother.  As dislocations are going to be an ongoing thing for him, maybe he should get them to show him how to pop it back into socket himself?
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

shabbis

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
I am at exactly one week post-op with Dr Pritchett at Swedish.

First off, Swedish is top notch. Everything from the faciliities to the staff was nothing short of stellar. The service was very efficient, knowledgeable and friendly. They all knew Dr. Pritchett and  hip resurfacing itself in detail. Everyone had great post-op advice that went beyond what is in your packet. Even their "a la carte" food service was decent. Everyone gets a private room, I had a great view of downtown and the Sound. I was only there for one night, but this was probably the first time ever I wouldn't have minded staying longer if I had to as I normally hate hospitals.

The procedure itself went perfectly. I was given some meds and IV pre-op, rolled into the OR, given the spinal and blocker (got a little woozy from the blocker) and then that was it. "Woke up" in the recovery room. Then finally moved to my private room once everything was deemed stable.

The PT and OT sessions were very short for me. I was expecting much more extensive sessions, I guess I was able to demonstrate all the required PT and OT first time through so there was no need for longer sessions.

Now, a week later. My advice so far:
1. Embrace the pain meds, don't fight them. It'll help you sleep and also loosen you up for doing the in-bed PT, which is important. In fact, I am still taking them at night so I can sleep as the pain now isn't that bad, but it's still uncomfortable enough that I cannot reach REM without them.

2. Toilet seat riser: I found that I didn't need it. But everyone's bathroom situation is different. I would just use my crutches to help lower myself down and then lean back to keep the 90+ degree angle in tact.

3. Shower chair: I recommed this, or something to help get over the tub lip. Even a week past post-op, I still can't lift the operated leg very high, not even close to tub lip height. I found this process to be the most difficult of all the OT. I stayed at my parents the first five days and they have a walk-in shower, really helped a lot.

4. Sock putter-on-er: If you plan to wear socks and at all and don't have anyone to dress you. This is a must. I have someone to put my socks on for me, so I skipped this one.

5. Reacher: Also a must. Although, as I've done a lot of yoga in the past, I have found that I can straighten my surgery leg and bend with my other leg to pick things up without breaking the 90 degree rule, works great for me, but it does look quite comical.

I head back up to Seattle for my 2-week post-op next Monday. I assume x-rays are taken to make sure everything settled in correctly?

11/25/2014 LBHR Dr Pritchett

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »
Nice report. Keep it up.

livendive

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
Two weeks out from today, and my hips seem to have figured out that I've got something up my sleeve and might even be considering dumping them.  The September cortisone injections were helpful on the left, but not the right, and it's the right that I've got scheduled for January 5th, with the left to follow in late February.  However Saturday night the benefit I was seeing from the cortisone seems to have ended abruptly, and by yesterday I had to use one of my forearm crutches when we went shopping because my left hip kept trying to "give out" on me.  Not dislocate, just reach a pain point that made it say "huh uh, not doing this".  I've emailed Dr Pritchett today to see if I should try another shot in the left to see if that'll bolster it during recovery from the right side surgery, or at this point just leave it be and look forward to two much stronger hips coming in the next several weeks.
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

livendive

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 11:15:47 AM »
Per Dr Pritchett, the injections negatively impact bone quality, and bone quality is an important factor in successful resurfacing outcomes, so I'll be foregoing another shot in favor of a greater probability of success.  This is likely to make the time between the two surgeries extra entertaining, as my "good" hip is unlikely to live up to that billing.  It feels a bit better today, and I seem to have isolated the motions that make it surrender.  Basically the left side goes on strike as soon as it's put in flexion with any weight on it.  This is avoidable but inconvenient.  I suspect the walker is going to get more use than I expected during the period between hip surgeries.
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
All of this passes.

I had three months between surgeries, and believe me, the HR hip was dragging the other hip around. I was very ready by that time.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat