+-

Author Topic: New member trying to make Dr decision  (Read 5502 times)

Ljpviper

New member trying to make Dr decision
« on: November 01, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »
Hello new member here. Injury started with a sports hernia after Crossfit in 09, then spiraled to hip issues soon after. Had right hip done on Jan-2011 for FAI, labrum, also performed microfracture for damaged cartilage. Left hip done Nov-2012 same procedure.

This past May both hips failed one month apart. Seems the microfracture did not hold up. So now I am in the state of WOW two failed hip surgeries. I have pain sitting and lost some range of motion. I can still bike and do some exercise, pain is constant 24-7. I am 43 and just tired of 5 years of chronic pain, injuries doctors, etc.

I have a lot of joint space still based on my x-rays. I sent them to Dr. Gross and he said I would be a candidate. I think I would like to visit him and speak to him about it. I am in Miami so he is not too far.

I also researched stem cell/prp injections, not sure if this will buy me some time or just throwing money away. My bad spot is on the most weight bearing part of the hip joint, so not sure how the injections will help.

Like many of you I am just over it. I almost feel like I lost 5 years of my life with this crap.

wish me luck,

Larry

Tim Bratten

Re: New member trying to make Dr decision
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »
Dr. Gross was not my hip surgeon, but he seems to be very experienced with a good record of success. There are a number of his patients who have posted on this site: maybe they can tell you more. I can only say that at nine months post-op, the HR that De Smet did for me is working extremely well.   
Good luck Larry
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:16:34 PM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

a sensation

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
Hi Larry,

I seem to be in a similar situation as you.  I had two failed scopes (one on each hip) and I still have quite a bit of space in the joints.  2 of the well known surgeons looked at my images that I sent them and recommended I wait.  I'm interested in what Dr. Gross or any other surgeon recommends to you.  BTW, I am 30 years old.  Sorry I don't have any information for you.  Good luck

Ljpviper

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 03:26:15 PM »
Why did your hips fail? I wish the surgeons would better evaluate patients of what can and cant be corrected. These hip arthroscopic surgeries are no joke. My recovery was brutal for both, six weeks no weight bearing, PT, etc. I really did not push my hips either after, I did no running or minimal impact.

Dr Gross mentioned that the microfractures don't hold up well, they seem to fail quite often.

All that to have them fail so quickly, not happy.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
Welcome to the site!

I had about seven years before I decided to do something about it. At that time, all of the surgeons involved (I saw three in succession) were agreed I needed a replacement.

If Dr. Gross says you should get it done, I'd do it. That's me personally though, since I've seen and experienced the results. I know the pain - for me it was simpler in that there was no alternative, the main choice was replacement or resurfacing. Once I saw what I could do with a resurfacing, the only choice left was how much I spaced out the surgeries (both hips needed it).

I didn't have any other treatments, but I am glad I only needed two recoveries.

It's your call on when to do it, but you sound like I did when I made the call.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Ken B

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »
Sorry to hear what you've been through. Perhaps someday there will be a reliable treatment for progressive osteoarthritis of the hip that does not involve a prosthesis but it seems we are not there yet, not even close.

I looked into microfracture and stem cell as well and my impressions were:

Microfracture does not restore articular cartilage. What grows in is fibrocartilage which is not as durable. There seems to be some success among those with very specific lesions of the femoral head and it has been used with professional athletes. But for most people with advanced or even modest and progressing OA it does not seem to be an optimal long term solution. And some have reported recovery times that rival and sometimes extend longer than that of an HR recovery.

Right now the stem cell approach for hip OA seems like a big swindle, that's just my opinion. There might be some anti inflammatory effect but I was not able to find any proof at all this treatment restores articular cartilage to any degree at all. If you dig deep enough to find serious people working on this, not just those clinics out to make money, even they admit that this is in its very early stages and without some sort of scaffolding technology the stem cells are not able to do much good.

After going through this whole process from initial pain onset to surgery over the course of 8 or nine years and seeing the progress of X-rays I question whether some of the hopeful periods of pain relief were nothing more than the development and then further growth of a femoral cyst helped along by time and maybe all of the various non traditional therapies I tried. Hard bone going soft at the worst points of wear might just have resulted in less pain temporarily. Just a layman theory.

Hope you find the solution that is right for you.
RBHR 09/15/14 - Dr. Schmalzried

Ljpviper

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
Ken, you make some excellent points about the microfracture. Also, in my case like many others once the surgeon actually looks in your hip it was a lot worse than the MRI stated. He did the best he could I guess.

Hips are the most complex joints to fix in the body, as you stated they need a better protocol for the different patient options.

Yes, I wonder how much of this stem cell/prp is just bogus, clinics trying to pray on people with pain and no other alternatives other than surgery.

I am comfortable with Dr. Gross if I go that route, its just a big decision, but I am not getting any younger. You never know how chronic pain effects someones life till you actually have it.

HowieF-16

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
Larry,
Dr. Gross is a great surgeon. There is another great surgeon a little closer in Tampa. His name is Dr. Raterman. You can read his Bio on this website. Dr Raterman performed an HR on my right hip in Jan 2014. He has probably crossed the 2000 number threshold by now. Before I had my hip resurfaced, I had received steroid injections, SYNVISC injection, Hip Scope and finally HR. I drove to Tampa from Panama City in the panhandle for the surgery. In fact, a woman from Miami had her hip done the same day as me. An added bonus, as part of the Florida Medical Clinic, Dr Raterman takes many more insurance plans compared to Dr. Gross.  My story is posted on this website if you need more info on my experience. Good luck with your decision.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

a sensation

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 02:33:07 AM »
My scopes probably failed because of too much cartilage damage and also a lack of experience by the surgeon who did my right side.  I also had Microfracturing.   The recovery was miserable.  It sounds like mine was similar to yours .

dfox

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:44:11 AM »
Welcome Larry,

Glad to see you found the site and are considering hip resurfacing. Hope you can find all the information you need to make a decision.

As a long time mechanic, I know it's hard to beat the durability of a metal on metal bearing surface. With a hip joint the load on the bearing surface is very small so the wear is nearly zero.

I like the fact that it's a one time procedure and a permanent repair.  Best of all, after a recovery period there are no restrictions on your activities.

My hip is getting real close to 100 % with no pain at less than 6 months post op. 

These are just my opinions of course.

Good Luck,

Dave
RBHR, 5/2014, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

Ljpviper

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »
Dr. Ratterman might be a good choice as well. Having that many surgeries under his belt gives me a comfort level.

I am not aware of any doctors closer to me in Miami.

Thanks,

Larry

lgbran

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »
The 11//11 marks 1 year post surgery for me. 1 year without chronic arthritic pain. Starting to belt out 200-300 k.m weeks on my bicyle and able to do so so much now.If I were you I would just get it done with the best surgeon available. life pain free post BHR surgery is fantastic
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

bosoxgordon

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
Hello and welcome to the site.

I haven't posted on here much lately frankly because my hip resurfacing has been so successful that I've hardly thought about it over the last year. However, I am very sympathetic to your difficultly in making a decision. I went back and forth for quite some time and go a lot of great help from the good folks out here and on the yahoo group.

All I wanted to say is that I had my surgery with Dr. Gross almost a year ago.  (Nov.13 will be my 1 year anniversary) he and his staff are great! The recovery was difficult at times but the end result is amazing! I feel totally normal now and the operated hip is probably the best joint in my body. I just had my 1 year check up and his assistant Lee Webb said everything looks great and I will probably have this resurfacing last the rest of my life. His technique coupled with the bone growth adhesion on the femoral side makes for a very durable device.

I did the outpatient option with him because I only live 90 minutes away but I've heard nothing but great things about the hospital where he does most of his surgeries. I know it's a tough choice but all I can say is that you will never regret going with Gross if you do decide to go with him. He is the man!
Scott

Dr. Gross Left Uncemeted Biomet 11/13/2013

Ljpviper

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »
I think I am going to go with Dr. Gross. My hips are driving me crazy,with the constant pain.

Hopefully I can get one done in the next few months. I was thinking of getting them both done in the same week, buts that's got to be brutal. I have a two story house so that might not work for me. I guess it makes more sence to do one at a time.

Thanks for all the responses.

Larry

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »
I'm another Dr. Gross Hippie with only good things to say about him and his staff. My decision to go with him was based on my chiropractor's recommendation and the fact that he's relatively close (about 1 1/2 hour drive).
You might want to consult with him about getting both done at the same time, it's a tough decision but I think going through one longer and slower recovery might be easier overall than two regular ones. (I don't know because I only needed one side done). It also depends how much pain is coming from which side.
My wife stayed with me in the hospital room the night after the surgery, with hindsight it would have been better for her to stay in the hotel instead. It's just across the parking lot and with all the comings and goings through the night, she didn't get much sleep. I found the hospital staff attentive enough. I don't remember this but apparently I asked for ice cream at 4am and they brought me some!
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Ljpviper

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
What happens to the ligaments that attach the femur to the pelvis after HR. Are they re attached?

I believe there are 3, on a normal hip they help prevent dislocation and hyper extension.

Thanks

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »
There reattached I believe if there cut.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Ljpviper

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »
Got an appointment to see Dr Gross later this month. Hopefully get all my questions answered and get it done allready!!!!!

dfox

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
Great news! Congrats on moving forward with it. I think you will be very happy you did. 

RBHR, 5/2014, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

Ljpviper

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »
Looks like I will get the right done 2/20 if all goes well. I think two in one week is just going to be too brutal. I have a two story house, so climbing stairs with two operated hips worries me.

I am going to work on my core strength all the way up to the surgery date and maybe try to drop another 15lbs. I will then plan the left for like May.

I see Dr Gross a week from Tuesday.

2015 year of new hips!!!!

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats