+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I month post - op update  (Read 2620 times)

John P

I month post - op update
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:24:15 AM »
Hi all,

Well I am now officially 4 weeks post -op from my BHR right hip and just felt like sharing my progress to date.

Let me first tell you what a typical day is at 4 weeks. Today I got up at 8 am, showered, dressed (It still takes time as I cannot bend fully) and had breakfast with my wife and kids. When I got up I was a little stiff and immediately did my excercises before showering. Once up everthing loosens up. I still use one crutch as my doctor has been cautious and told me to do so until week 6.
At 9.00 I got into my jeep( slowly) and drove 4 miles to have a meeting with a work collegue over coffee. Driving is fine but I have to be careful getting in and out of my jeep. When I returned it was 11 ish. I then went for a 30 minute walk ( one crutch)with my 6 year old son. No pain at all from the joint but I still have a small tender feeling where the incission is. On my return I did my excercises again and relaxed. At 4.00 pm I went for another 30 minute walk. On my retrun I had a small nap and woke about 6.30pm for dinner. I have no problem at all walking around the house , picking up the kids, I even played a game of pool with one of my sons yesterday.
After dinner I went for a 15 minute walk and did my excercises on my return. The rest of the evening was spent watching TV and short walks around the house. At 11.30 ish I headed off to bed. Sleeping is still a little troublsome, I can normally sleep well but wake up every 2 hours or so and have to shift around.Sleeping is getting better.

If I compare this to a couple of weeks ago I really feel the progress now is great. It was really around 3 weeks when I noticed the big, big difference. The slight pains that had me questioning if the op was totally successful subsided. Walking , moving, everthing became easier.

In week 1 after my op I did feel "what have I done to myself" as I was uncomfortable particularly with swelling. The great news for anyone in the early stages is that this is all normal and things will get a lot better. I have slowly progressed to week 4. Certainly not as fast as some stories but I now feel comfortable, painfree, no swelling and more importantly I have a desire to walk more, longer distances and I am really looking forward to enjoying this summer with my family.

I hope this will shine a little hope for anyone in the very early stages of post-op as I know progreess can be slow but It all starts to come good.

John P  (41)
Dublin Ireland
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:18:21 AM by John P »

xocy

Re: I month pro - op update
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:34:34 AM »
Thanks for the update. I'm 1 week post op from bilat and always welcome someting positive.

Mike
Atlanta,GA
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

CITY2SOUTH

Re: I month post - op update
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:04 AM »
John.

Sounds like your doing great! I was very active up until 6 months pre-surgery. My pain just got worse and worse and the daily doses of Celebrex and Tramadol were losing there strength. So I slowly stopped all exercising and could barely get down on the floor to play with my 3 yr old son. I have OA in my left hip about 3 yrs now and it progressed quickly.
 I'm 10 days in and feel awesome. I, like you HAD the same sleep issue and from what I read it is very common. It is a huge side effect from the blood thinner (that I finally found out from Pat). Well I got a script for Lunesta and slept 8 hrs last night and woke up full of energy.
I went for a 1/4 mile walk (cane assisted) with my dog Sampson (140 lb Weimaraner) and it took me about an hr. I collapsed on the couch when I got back.
I hate doing my exercises and can't wait till my 4 week marker so I can get in the pool.

Well good luck with your recovery and enjoy the 4th...
Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

John P

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
Lisa & Mike,

As well as a good recovery I must wish you guys a good,happy& healthy 4th from this side of the pond. Its not a holiday in Ireland but I know its a big day for all you American Hippies.

Best wishes and enjoy.

John P

xocy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
It's Mike here, the bilat. Number 1 on 6/23 Number 2 on 6/28. Things are looking up. Took a few steps without crutches today, they were close by, but I walked easily with one crutch. I still have one hip not behaving as well as the other, but the left one is surprisingly strong. One reason for the long walk today is that I had to see my PCP about a uriniary infection I've had since I got home. The infection is a problem, but hopfully it will be gone soon. I donot plan on using a wheelchair. Walking around the Crawford Long Medical area was not problem and not a strain. I'm still on pain meds.

I'm getting better every day and will keep you guys posted.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
Awwww Mike you are such a trooper...Miss ya Buddy, (Mike and I had our left hips done by the same surgeon, same day) Sorry about the UTI. They suck....Hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up soon.

And yes the 4th is huge here. We cooked out all day and lit a ton of fireworks off at night. Had a BLAST!...My Mom was a Sullivan and visited Ireland with her sisters about 10 yrs ago. I'd like to visit some pubs for sure...

P.S. 2 weeks post-op and walked a mile with cane yesterday..Yippie..and yes Mike I am doing my exercises again..lol

Take care guys,

Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

xocy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »
Yeh, you left me! I liked it so much I stayed and let him do another one. Thank God I don't have 3 hips! By the way, we need to thank God that this surgery is available to us.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz