+-

Author Topic: 3 year HR Anniversary with Dr Scott Marwin 2011  (Read 4541 times)

Woodstock Hippy

3 year HR Anniversary with Dr Scott Marwin 2011
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
Hello to all,

It's hard to believe it but tomorrow will be three years tomorrow since my bilateral HR at NYU Hospital for Joint Disease with Dr. Scott Marwin.  It's been a great three years.  If I didn't remember the surgery, I wouldn't even know I have them.  I run three or four days a week and it all feels great.  Had a great year of short course triathlon and ran a very hilly 15k trail race a week ago.  It left my knees sore but my hips felt fine.  It was the longest run I've done in almost 10 years.  Before my new hips, I thought I've never run like that again.  I retired when I had my surgery and live couldn't be any better.  It gets better every day!

I have lurked in from time to time over the years and I always advise anyone with hip issues to come here for information.  Thank you, Pat, for keeping this sight going.  It is a service to all of us.  And thanks to everyone who posts here.  Keep up the good work everybody.

This surgery was so worth it.  My first hip doctor told me to take it easy and learn how to relax.  Dr Marwin told me to go run.  I did and I'll keep doing it until I can't do it any more!

Merry Christmas everyone and have a ''hippy'' New Year!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:36:17 PM by Pat Walter »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

JHippy

Re: 3 year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 03:25:17 AM »
Wow, that's excellent! Thank you for the update, Woodstock Hippy!

How long after surgery did you start running? Were you a runner beforehand?
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »
I started running again right after my 6 month check-up.  I had my running clothes on and I went right to the trails near my house.  First I ran 1 minute on, 1 minute off but after a couple of those I just ran, slowly, but I was running.  I kept it up, never more than 2 days on, 1 day off, with swimming and cycling.  Swimming also on a 2 on, 1 off schedule.  I'm still getting better with every race I do.  I had been a runner for thirty years before groin pain and a visit to my first hip doctor brought it to an end.  About two years later I had my bilateral surgery.  I was also a heavy construction carpenter for 40 years and, hey, things wear out.  That's why we have these replacement parts.  Now I'm good as new, or better, again.

I think about it like having an old car.  If you get a crack in the mirror, you might let it go because it's an old car.  Then you get a dent in the fender and you let it go.  Then a rip in the seat and pretty soon you have an old piece of junk.  I like to get these things fixed and keep things running in good order so I can keep using this ''old car'' for a long time

luann again

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 01:45:47 AM »
Wow! That is great news! Thank you for letting  us know! Bilateral to boot! Awesome!
Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

shoraztri

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:44:13 AM »
Great news there Woodstock Hippie". :) A real milestone to achieve , and sounds like you are very active - Triathlon maybe??. Congrats on the "Birthday ".
Cheers ,
 Kiwi Boy from Down Under. ;)
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

lgbran

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »
Congrats on your 3 year aniversary,
Great to see you back to full activity and then some. I love the sound of your training regime and mixing it up. Keep on posting 😊
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
Thanks everyone, it's great to be feeling good again.  Today's plan is for a 6 mile easy run in the morning, then a mountain bike ride in the afternoon.   I'm just having a cup of tea and then I have to get moving!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »
It's awesome being 3 isn't it!?  8)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 04:29:32 AM »
Congrats Woodstock! Good to hear.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
Yeah, congrats, Woody.  I recall some of those posts back then.  Great to see some of the folks from back then still posting here.   Great job with the running, your story is very inspiring.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 03:57:14 AM »
It's the old crew and yes, three years later and I am a Bi-lat Hipper. I am very active - just completed the Marine corps Marathon, Baltimore 10 Miler,  Luray Olympic,  Gettyburg 5 miler, a whole bunch of Century rides and swam the Chesapeake Bay and of course Ironman Maryland.  Running fast is an issue that I will leave for the advanced sports discussion. Just a word to all you who are going through BHR or about to go through BHR - Its well worth it. I had my three year check up and blood work , no metal icons stuff going on.  And, sex life is great.  Well, that's because of another medical miracle but ill save that for later.

Thanks Pat for all you do. This Thanksgiving I had to reflect on the support this site gave me through some real tough times - physically and mentally.  Good luck to all of you. take it slow and it only gets better.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:25 AM »
Congratulations on your 3 year anniversary.  I wish you many more.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
HnH, thank you, thank you, thank you for recommending Hoka One One shoes.  They really have been the game changer.  It's like they took 20 years off of my legs!

It looks like you have had a really good year with the long course stuff.  I also had a good year, but I keep it to sprints and Olympics.  This season I had the blessing and course of finishing 2nd in my age group in 5 races and it wasn't until the final race of the year, a 7 stage tri in MJ, that I finally got a 1st place and man did it hurt and feel great

shoraztri

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 11:32:16 PM »
Hi Woodstock Hippie,
Thats a brilliant post on ya 3 years Anniversary. Truly amazing and another big boost for me . I turn 6 months !!! in 3 weeks , so am just a baby. Am then looking to ease into jogging / slow Run. Was good to hear that you fired up those legs at the 6 month point. This has given me the confidence to "have a go then ". Am doing alot of Indoor riding via my Computrainer [love it] and plenty of swimming,and long , easy walking. Our local Tri season is upon us , so are keen to "dabble " here a little in small sprint type races . Will do the run section as a jog though , as no need to hurry up that healing process.
Cheers for Xmaz and a few lazy drinks or 5 !!.
Kiwi Boyo from Down Under.  ;D ;)
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »
Shoraz, HnH and I are comtemporaries in this journey through ''the land of the new hips''.  He didn't tell us now about how he was ripping it up before his first hip failed.  He had qualified for Kona and it was while training for it the hip number 1 failed him.  After having that taken care of, recovering  and running again he wanted to get back to what he had lost and he signed up for another IM, Arizona I think,  then training for that hip number 2 failed.  He scared the crap out of all of us here by running that race only three month out from his second surgery and by sticking to his plan he had a very successful race.

And look at his results from this year; HnH is back!

shoraztri

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
Hi Woodstock Hippie,
Thanks for the reply , and now am curious about the Run Speed Post Op., compared to pre-operation. Want to know what the "drop off " rate [ -speedwise-], is like pkm[or mile in your cases].
I have new Hoka shoes, as these seem the best recommended by 'hippie' people.
Cheers.
Kiwi Boyo Down Under. ;D :D :P

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
Speed is still coming back.  ''Speed'' is a relative word at this point.  Five years before my hips, I had surgery on both knees and started limiting my running but still raced tri's using my swim and bike to carry me.  Then my right hip started to go and I stopped running completely and raced the mountain bike until both hips failed.  So there was a long time away from running.  Now it's all feeling good and I'm running well again.  I'm going to run a four race winter 5k series soon and see how much speed I've gotten back.

imgetinold

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »
Congrats!  I'm about 3 weeks behind you. 

I haven't been on here in over a year, but I vividly remember reading all of your posts, and your replies to my questions.  It's great to hear how you've gotten your life back.

Here's to another 30!

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

shoraztri

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 12:14:03 AM »
Hi Woodstock Hippie,
Thanks for ya input and answers. Like you , I hammered the Swim and Bike legs , and then relied on hangin in there for the Run section. Having a cautious approach now , so will do a few minutes off the Bike [Ride say 60.00mins],and onto the "jog " section . Will see in the New Year how it all shapes up.
Cheers ,
 Kiwi Boyo from Down Under. :P ;D

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
shoraz, the good news is that wedon't have to run as fast as we used to when we were young.  I just got an age group first in a 10k in Ft Lauderdale with a time that's too slow to post here.  But like i said,  I'm getting faster every week!

Merry Christmas

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats