+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Numbness / tingling post-op on opposite side  (Read 9217 times)

EastOrlandoHippy

Numbness / tingling post-op on opposite side
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
I am about 4 weeks post-op from a left side hip resurfacing operation.  So far my leg and hip on the operated side are wonderful.  A little stiff and sore at times, but getting better every day.  The bizarre thing is my leg on the opposite side (the non-operated on side):  I usually have some type of half-numb sensation in my outer thigh.  This can be bothersome some times, but I hope for improvement over time.  I don't know what could have caused it:  TEDS hose?  Perhaps the anesthesiologist nicked something when they gave me a spinal injection?  Not sure.  Anyone have any type of similar experience?  And if so, how far post-op are you and what has happened over time?  I am proud to be a "hippy" and still glad I had the op.  I feel badly for people who have had "slap foot" and other complications.  I am just looking for info on what to expect.  Thanks you for reading this.

jss

Re: Numbness / tingling post-op on opposite side
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »
EastOrlando, I've seen this very issue raised a few times on assorted forums (all different people). No one has ever posted much useful on it other than that they slowly improve. Was your BHR done from an anterior approach?

Good luck!
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:25:06 AM »
I have this condition on my left in-operated leg. It is caused by nerve damage in either anaesthetic or during procedure, and is one of the risks. The sensation is like the tingling that follows as a dental local anaesthetic wears off.

I have spoken with doctor about it, and it usually takes months, possibly much longer to resolve, since nerves grow very slowly, my GP said 1mm per day repair. So from your lower spine down to your knee being maybe 600mm then perhaps a year or two.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »
Hi guys, I had that numbness too. Couldn't feel a thing down the side around the scar and down to the knee. It was cold and clammy stiff-like tissue. I really didn't think much of it because I have had many knee surgeries and the same thing happened there too where I had numb areas.
It all went away quickly once I started to use the foam roller and really massaged the areas. I'm not so sure its a nerve issue more than perhaps a vascular issue. It is 100% gone though.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »
Chuck, we're talking about the non-operated leg. I expect the sensations like you mention all over the operated side, but not the odd numbness on the other side.

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »
I researched this issue some time ago and found this explanation:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/355540-numbness-in-the-outer-thighs/

I experienced this condition periodically (pre-surgery) and attributed it to my messed up lower back.  I have sciatica and several bulging discs in the lumbar area.  Nerve compression appears to be the main cause.  I'm not sure how it could relate to our hip conditions but I'm certain it's possible considering the way we have been spread apart, cut on, and have come to overly rely on our good side, possibly at the expense of our lower backs.
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

MattJersey

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
Thanks for that CN.

Having read it, I don't think this is the same thing I have. It refers to difficulty using muscles. The first thing the surgeon asked when I mentioned this was can you flex your quads? and I can, all my muscles are working perfectly well.

I am pretty sure mine is related to the spinal anaesthetic, some small amount of damage (or residual anaesthetic, is that possible?) and in due course it will correct. Didn't exist at all before the op. In the information I was given about the spinal, it explained various risks and side effects and this is among them, noting that the deep nerves that drive muscles return to normal faster, but the superficial ones can take longer, months, maybe longer, possibly never.

It's not an especially big deal though, and at present it doesn't bother me other than feeling odd when I touch it.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal