+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What PT should I do?  (Read 3195 times)

sharon

What PT should I do?
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:33:44 AM »
hi
i had my operation nearly 4 weeks ago and i left hospital with my two crutches and nothing else.  i cant believe you had exercises to do.  this might be why i get pains in my muscles after walking. has anyone got information on what exercises i should be doing to ade in my recovery from the birmingham hip surgery as i am very impressed by your recovery.
i am in desperate need of some help.
sharon :-[
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:08:38 AM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: What PT should I do?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »
Hi Sharon

Not every doctor has their patients do a lot of PT.  It really varies.  Some people don't really do any.  I did mine for a few weeks after surgery, then did a lot of walking.  I was very stiff at the 4 - 6 week point and did some water therapy that really helped.

Here are the exercises I did for the first few weeks.  They are the same as are done for a THR
http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesearly.php  You should be able to do them pretty easily now since you are 4 weeks post op.  The abduction exercises are the most difficult and take the longest to be able to accomplish.

Here are the pool exercises I did http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php  They really helped me after a few weeks.

Don't worry that you never did a lot of PT, many people don't.  It is also very normal to still have some muscle pain and stiffness at 4 weeks.  Walking is what all doctors suggest.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:17:16 PM »
Try www.grossortho.com and you can see the care path they use. Click on patient forms and go to carepaths. Dr. Gross has told me to follow the level I for 6 weeks. They don't seem very macho, but they are working for me. I have been instructed to do them 2x per day. I so this and continue to increase the reps. I have modified the leg extension by letting my lower leg drape off the bed to get a better range of motion. these excercises are boring, but they actually relieve some of my pain. He has a level II carepath for after the six week office visit. This is also on the web site.

Dr. G does not allow the pool until I heal, about 4 weeks.

I had bilat, R 6/23, L 6/25. I walk my driveway 4 lenghts / day about 500 yards. It has hills and is 400 feet long. Ive been on one crutch for 4 days, and need to go cane shopping. I can walk on flat areas with no support. I'm  happy wiih my walking ability. I could walk further, but I'd like a change of venue. I believe the hills have helped me progress faster than expected.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

xocy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »
I also think that the early excercises are different for un cemented vs cemented, but I'm not sure.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat