+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Brooks Study - 2,200 BHR Patients with 99% Survivorship 2014  (Read 5846 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing

Dr. Brooks Study -  2,200 BHR Patients with 99% Survivorship 2014 Presentation

December 12, 2014 Orlando FL

Read Complete Article Here:

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/hip/news/online/{57d1fb7b-1c1f-46fe-a320-3cf8cfbf7f58}/speaker-success-of-hip-resurfacing-depends-on-device-technique-in-properly-selected-patients

"Resurfacing is very attractive to patients, less attractive to surgeons because there are many ways to get into trouble. If you do it, if you do the deep dive, you will become a better hip surgeon," Peter J. Brooks, MD, FRCS(C), said at the Current Concepts in Joint Replacement Winter Meeting.

Brooks said in the mid-term results of study of more than 2,200 patients implanted with the Birmingham Hip, there were few complications with no dislocations or femoral loosening seen...

...Overall survivorship at up to 8 years was more than 99%, he said. For the male patients with osteoarthritis who were younger than 50 years, survivorship was 100%.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/99-percent-survivorship-study-dr-brooks%20-2014.php
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

evant

Re: Dr. Brooks Study - 2,200 BHR Patients with 99% Survivorship 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »
Thanks for the Dr Brooks article Pat.

Tremendous surgeon - superb results.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:06:48 AM »
Always good to hear of great results backing my choice. :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Beth

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:17:25 PM »
Simply WONDERFUL news for us Dr Brooks Hippies!!!
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Staggerwing

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »
Coming up on my 2 year anniversary with a left BHR from Dr. Brooks.  Great to read this information.  So glad I chose to go with him. 
I don't even think about my hip anymore. 
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

Manofword

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 10:14:59 PM »
Coming up on 3yrs for me and I am still very active in competing in triathlons, racquetball! Never had a problem in recovery and there is no way I could stay this active without my BHR! I have sent numerous people Dr. Brook's way and they have all had similar results. I am glad I found him less than 1hr from me. When I first started to research this procedure, I thought that I would have to travel cross country.
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »
Manofword - Thanks for your update on your 3 year anniversary.  Looking forward to your future updates for many years!

Staggerwind - Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary, too.  Thanks for giving us your update.

Good Luck to both of you!

Pat

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:13:30 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ahausheer

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 02:12:38 AM »
I am a recent patient of Dr. Brooks and am very satisfied.  His 8 year hardware survivorship of 99% is absolutely amazing and it seems he is slightly under recognized in the field.  He is as good as they get.

Why even bother experimenting with other hardware such as plastic inserts or ceramic on ceramic which don't yet have the long term track record. Why take the risk. If you want something tried and true from one of the best, well, his results speak for themselves. 

I chose him specifically because of his experience (3,000+ BHR surgeries), excellent long term results, and his surgical approach (where he actually cuts you open) and here is why:

The alignment of the acetabular cup is the most critical aspect of the procedure as proper alignment prevents premature wear and impingement issues. Some surgeons choose to open you up in a way that makes recovery much easier, but their view and access to the acetabulum (the pelvis) and thus positioning of the acetabular cup, is more difficult. I would much rather know the surgeon has the best view/access possible, and thus the best possibility of correct placement of the cup, rather than a faster recovery. I could care less about an extra week or two of pain, I care more about continued success 10, 20, 30 years from now.  I suspect part of his success, other than his experience, is due in part to his surgical approach. 

You may want to double check me on this, but I believe Dr, Brooks uses a surgical approach that favors placement of the acetabular cup as opposed to offering the patient the fastest surgical recovery and I applaud him for this. Favor the procedure and the long term outcome, rather than making compromises so the patient recovers just a little bit faster.

Its all too easy to compare recovery stories on here without knowing the surgical approach and individual variables and think one surgeon should be favored over another simply due to quicker short term surgical recovery and or post surgical pain.

His surgical approach may also help with low back issues due to the tendon he cuts to get into the hip socket. I believe he talks about this in a video somewhere.  Having had a low back issues that I believe was due to my bad hips made choosing him a no brainer. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:22:11 AM by ahausheer »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal