+-

Author Topic: DeltaMotion THR  (Read 2713 times)

TheRunner

DeltaMotion THR
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:44:20 AM »
Hi there:

I'm totally new to this site and have enjoyed reading and trying to find out everything I can about Hip Resurfacing.  I was diagnosed about a year ago with several problems in my right hip, labral tears, cysts, FAI and arthritis.  I was told by 2 surgeons here in Toronto that I could not be scoped to clean up the mess because I had too much arthritis.  I was told to complete my racing season (world duathlon, 1/2 Ironman and Berlin Marathon then go back to see surgeon).  Well I did complete the season and ended up with a Femoral Head Stress Fracture - probably from compensating when running).  Back at the Surgeon and was told if I had a THR I would not be able to run again.  Saw another surgeon who told me the same and I was in so much pain I was ready to say just do it.  I then started surfing and found this site (a god send - thank you for setting it up).  After a lot of searching I decided Hip Resurfacing was for me so I got my x-rays and MRI results and sent them along to Mr. McMinn, Dr. Bose and a few others.  Both said I appeared to be a good candidate for the BHR. 

I was optimistic then the blow hit me, Dr. Bose came back and said I was not a suitable candidate for BHR surgery because I do not have osteophyte formation (bone spurs) which occurs in advanced arthritis. He indicated that there is a very high chance of early failure with hip resurfacing.  A second reason Dr. Bose said was that my bone size looks small to qualify for hip resurfacing where the min size would be 46 femoral head size.  He then suggested the Deltamotion THR.  I have to say I was devastated to hear this.  Has anyone else been told this at all and have continued to seek other opinions and had successful hip resurfacing done?

I did speak to Mr. McMinn's people and they seem to think that I am ok for BHR although I am nervous about getting over to the UK and being told that I am now not a good candidate.  I do have a consultation booked with Mr. McMinn and a surgery date for February.  Can anyone shed any light on these conflicting answers.  Would much appreciated it as I really do not want a THR at this point in my life  - still want to compete on the world circuit in both duathlon, triathlon and Marathon.

Dannywayoflife

Re: DeltaMotion THR
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:24:14 AM »
That's unusual. Although to be honest if Mr McMinn says your a candidate I'd bet you'll wake up with a bhr. A thr isn't the end of the world though, plenty of people running on them have a look at hip runner.

Hope this helps

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

ecchastang

Re: DeltaMotion THR
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »
Have you had your surgery yet?
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross