+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Brand new hippy - a couple of questions  (Read 1598 times)

daveyboy

Brand new hippy - a couple of questions
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:05:57 AM »
Hi all.  Well I've finally had it done and to be honest it all feels a bit weird.  Not necessarily the HR, but just the whole process.  My hip was never chronic, so I could get about fine etc, however, doing sport was another issue.  I'd say the weirdness comes from being relatively ok one minute then bamm, crutches, morphine, chronic constipation (not good!!!!!!) a leg that won't lift off the mattress: you all know the score, but jeeez, what a journey. I can't believe I actually did it?!!

I have two questions:

First, am I being unduly paranoid re the acatabular cup?  I understand this is just press fit and within time the bone in-grows into the back of the cup.  However, until then what's holding that cup in place and what are the chances of it moving?

2 I've noticed that when lying on my back in bed, I get some comfort from hip flexor pain when I bend my knee.  However, I have noticed that when my knee has slightly crossed the mid line I get a terrible catching pain in, what I imagine is my psoas? Really painful.

Any input from fellow hippys who've had similar thoughts, concerns or worries would be great.

Thanks

Daveyboy
rBHR Ronan Treacy 11/12/14- Birmingham UK
54mm head - 60mm cup

chuckm

Re: Brand new hippy - a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:37:30 AM »
Great job Daveyboy, you won't regret it. The first couple of weeks is pretty tough though.

First, the acetabular cup. It is press fit but a more accurate description would be pounded into place with a big heavy hammer. It's not moving. Just follow surgeon's orders and you will be fine.

Second, resurfacing surgery really disrupts the psoas tendon and the bursa that it rides over. Post surgery the tendon drops right down to the device and surgical area and that is why it hurts to lift your leg. This takes time to heal so avoid leg lifts until the pain is gone. It took about a month for me when I could lift my leg out of bed pain free. But it was gone for good once I got there.

My advice is to keep reading this site to learn about rehab. You will be getting aches and pains in all different parts of your body with no explanation for a couple of months. That is what most report on this site.

Use ice packs, take the pain meds, and relax. Week three you will be quite happy if not sooner. Oh, the clunking, strange shifting, or slipping in the new hip is normal in the beginning.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
Congrats Davy! Yep as said the cup is under reamed buy 1-2mm so the press fit is pretty tight! ALso the bone starts to grow into it very quickly!

Many many muscles are disrupted and will take a while to fully heal!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

daveyboy

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
Thanks Chuckm / Danny.  Great advice as ever. 
rBHR Ronan Treacy 11/12/14- Birmingham UK
54mm head - 60mm cup

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
Congrats daveyboy - so long as you follow your surgeon's instructions, you should be fine.

That cup is well hammered in, and as long as you let the bone grow back in, gets very strong.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat