+-

Author Topic: 7 days post op - JHippy  (Read 1980 times)

JHippy

7 days post op - JHippy
« on: December 25, 2014, 06:36:33 AM »
Well gotta say this is much easier than I had expected. Seeing improvement everyday. Pain 100% under control. Getting around just fine on crutches, and just trying not to push it in this early stage.

The hardest part is not being very independent. Can't carry much of anything on crutches. Need help with putting on socks and drying my feet after a shower so I don't break the 90 degree restriction. That kind of thing.

Overall, though, just amazed on how well the recovery is going. Really looking forward to the six-week mark.

P.S. - My flight back at the 4 day mark was not bad at all. Took advantage of the wheelchair service in the airports. Flying first class helped though not sure it was necessary. The stewardess put together a bag of ice for me that was pretty much all I needed on the flight (in addition to the pain meds I was already taking). It was not easy on my girlfriend, though, who had to lug both of our stuff. We packed light but wished we'd packed even lighter.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:54:08 AM by JHippy »
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

MPH

Re: 7 days post op - JHippy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »
Great to see you going well. I'm scheduled for the 13/1 and I know my surgeon has concerns with flying post op. How was the wound when you flew and how long was the flight? I've got an hour to fly after surgery and he's being really cagey about allowing it. By the sounds of it you're doing really well, hope I go that well too! Keep us posted. Well done.
RBHR 13th Jan 2015 Andrew Shimmin, Melbourne AUS. 52mm head/58mm cup.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
It took me several weeks before I could bend down far enough to get my socks on or dry my feet. Not because I was keeping any rules, I simply couldn't bend. For a while I was wondering if I'd ever be able to do it again  :( . I was lucky that it was Summer time and I could go barefoot or just in sandals most of the time.
Six months post-op I was able to ease my way back to playing soccer.
Yes, the feeling of helplessness is tough but it sounds like you have a great helper. Hang in there, it will get better.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

John C

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 01:01:11 AM »
HI MPH,
Another Dr Gross hippy here. At four days after surgery, I flew Columbia SC to Atlanta, Atlanta to Salt Lake City, then Salt Lake to Sun Valley Idaho. A pretty full day of flying, but Dr Gross was not concerned and I had no problems. Wheelchair assistance through the big airports like Atlanta really helps.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

JHippy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:35 AM »
Thanks, oldsoccerplayer. That's encouraging, and I figured it will get better over time.

@MPH:
Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
I didn't fly until day 4 post-op. I would have left earlier if I could, though. I thought I was going to be in the hospital 2 days and thought they wanted me to stay locally for an additional 2 days. Turns out I needed to stay locally only for 1 extra day and I ended up getting discharged a day early, so I could have left two days earlier. My flight was 5.5 hours with no stops. I used the wheelchair in the airport (let the airlines know ahead of time). Days 2 to 4 I was walking comfortably with crutches, getting out of and into chairs was slightly difficult but manageable, and I would get uncomfortable in car rides more than 15 minutes or so. Didn't feel too confident changing positions in bed -- whatever position I was in I'd stay there (until I could get assistance). Don't know how the wound looked since I still had the bandage on. With the pain meds the pain was zero. Worst part was the swelling, which ice and elevation mostly controlled; and just having to be super careful with moving about. I wouldn't worry too much about a one hour flight if you have a wheelchair through the airport and don't have to carry anything. Try to get some ice on the plane.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:50:51 AM by JHippy »
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Recent Posts

Re: BHR recovery goal complete..... Ran Boston Marathon by runner
Yesterday at 06:21:18 AM

Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by runner
Yesterday at 06:05:51 AM

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by LarryBud
October 13, 2021, 09:49:28 AM

A Fantastic Surgery Experience by RollerHockeyDan
October 12, 2021, 12:52:58 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear