+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Three week update - JHippy  (Read 2860 times)

JHippy

Three week update - JHippy
« on: January 07, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »
My surgery was three weeks ago today. Man I feel great. Have got most of my energy back. Getting around no problem with one crutch, and actually barely needing it. There's actually been a few times that I'd take three for four steps and realize I forgot to grab the crutch, so I can see that I won't be needing it much longer. Been doing half mile walks, give or take. Not every day like I should, though.

Driving
Driving has been no problem, just have to be careful where I park so I have room to open the door wide enough to get in and out (90 degree restriction still in play). Getting in and out of the car and running errands around town has been no problem. Been going out to dinner occasionally -- the getting to and from and sitting for a few hours is no problem at all, completely normal.

Small scare
I've been very, very paranoid of getting a neck fracture and thus playing it safe. And I realize I'm probably obsessing too much about this. Though my bone density was fine, my vitamin D was a tiny bit low (23, the good range is 30-100). And the big thing is my BMI is about 36, where above 30 is at higher risk. Though, my surgeon didn't feel the need to put me on his slow recovery plan; he had me full weight bearing as tolerated from day one. So obviously he's much less worried about it than I am. About 5 or 6 days ago I had a small scare. I was getting a very focused throbbing pain deep in the joint. Then later the pain would sometimes shoot down my leg. It was mild, but reminiscent of the deep joint pain before surgery. And I was thinking that it did not feel like muscle or soft tissue pain so I started to worry that maybe it was the femoral neck. So I took it real easy and babied the hip. The pain disappeared after a couple days and hasn't come back. Once during the last part of that couple days I felt a little tinge in my lower back as well, so maybe it was actually sciatica and not the hip at all. But nevertheless I'm paranoid so I'm not pushing anything related to impact or weight bearing.

Clunking
I fairly often feel the sensation that I think people refer to as clunking. Very minor though. Usually with motions that are on the edge of what I should be doing right now. Nothing bad enough to be worrisome in the last two weeks, just serves as a little reminder that I'm doing something I shouldn't right now.

Independence
I've been almost completely independent for a while. The only assistance I need is with carrying things. Besides the weight restriction, being on one crutch you really only have one free hand.

Sleeping on incision
I've been sleeping more and more on operated side. Still using a pillow between my legs but I was doing that pre-surgery so that's no different for me. Doing my PT in bed every morning and feeling very strong. Confidently swinging my legs in and out of the bed, with only a slight tinge of pain if twist too much.

Drugs
Surgeon has me on Fosamax once a week, which is a bone strengthening drug. It's a precaution because of my BMI. I'm also taking vitamin D and calcium daily. I didn't realize at first that you're not supposed to take Fosamax with food, drink or other medications -- especially calcium! And you're not supposed lie down after taking it. The latter is to avoid irritation in the esophagus, which is a common side effect. And calcium among other things can inhibit Fosamax from doing what it does. Yikes! I asked Nancy at the doctor's office about it and she felt there was no need to double up on a dose or anything, I just need to do it right from now on. It's important to read the instructions for all the meds you may be taking :).

I also discovered (on my own, not from the doctor/nurses) that the anti-inflammatory meds we all take after surgery is not just for inflammation, but also because it helps prevent Heterotopic Ossification which is undesirable bone formation is the traumatized area that could result in pain and/or limited range of motion. So if anyone is thinking you don't need it because the swelling is gone, keep taking it anyway! Fortunately I haven't screwed up on that one. :) Generally speaking, follow your doctor's protocol to the letter. There's a reason for everything.

Incision
The incision is looking great. Healing very nicely. Putting Bactroban on it daily. Skin is very dry around the incision though, especially after a shower. Itching has calmed down, almost completely gone, and at it's worst it wasn't that bad. Numbness is mostly gone. The sensation in that area to touch is getting fairly close to normal. Localized swelling I think is pretty much gone, and I haven't iced in over a week if not longer.

---

So far so good, knock on wood!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:17:39 PM by JHippy »
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

hernanu

Re: Three week update - JHippy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:29:56 PM »
It all sounds good. A couple of pieces of advice:

Don't rush to go off the crutches. They are a pain, but give you support. It's especially tempting when you're feeling so good, but part of the goal is to get your stride right (no plug intended).

It's like ice skating competitions - there are technical scores, but you also want high scores for style. You don't want to have to unlearn bad behavior.  I asked some of the people who work at my gym to look at my stride and let me know if it seems "off".

You're going to obsess. You can't blame yourself for this, just accept it as the result of the disease happening and now going away. You've had major surgery, so you will have pains, twitches, catches and clunking that will happen. If you get worried about it, call your doctor with impunity. It's their job to make you comfortable mentally as well as physically.

Otherwise enjoy the good recovery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

JHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 09:18:21 PM »
Thank you, hernanu!

Funny, I have been feeling pressure to wean off the crutch -- not because my body says it's time but because I feel I "should" by now. So I really appreciate the advice, hits home. I won't rush it. Good news is I have been focusing on good form when walking so I'll definitely keep that up.

And after writing that post I'm obsessing much less (amazing how cathartic that can be). But maybe I will call in next week just to make sure I'm on the right track.

jss

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:14:08 AM »
When we were standing in the rental car return line, I had two instances of 'clunking'. Fortunately I'd read about that phenomenon on this site before leaving for Columbia and knew there was no reason to be alarmed; I didn't let that stop me from being alarmed anyway.

I'm doing the same thing you are; trying to be a little more conservative than the instructions I was given. Good luck!
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

Jerry C.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
 I had not heard that anti-inflammatories lessened the chance of heterotrophic bone formation.  I received radiation therapy to both hips within 24 hours of having the surgery.  Because of the type of arthritis I have the surgeon thought that it was necessary.

jss

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
You're almost two months out. How's it going?
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

JHippy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 04:35:46 AM »
Hi jss! I'm doing really good. Looks like you are too, very glad to see that. :)

All was good at my 6-week follow up. Now I have fewer restrictions and more physical therapy. With the restrictions loosened I don't feel limited at all in daily activities. Things have improved a lot in this last week and a half since my follow up. Been working on the stretches and trying to get to where I can grab my foot comfortably. I have been putting on socks, and, even trimmed my toenails (barely) so it's getting there. No more crutch needed. Most of the time I'm walking with good form (thanks, hernanu for that advice). I occasionally limp slightly when tired or if I did too much the day before. Or for the first few steps after sitting in a low chair. I'm no longer paranoid about fractures, just being sensible and adhering to the restrictions. Little aches and pains here and there, but nothing major. Think I still have the occasional clunk but doesn't alarm me at all surprisingly. Very happy with where I am now, night and day from pre-surgery. It's amazing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat