+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Biomet with Dr Gross, Jan 7  (Read 3739 times)

jss

Biomet with Dr Gross, Jan 7
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
We're now home in Dallas after a Biomet hip resurfacing with Dr Gross. It was an uneventful surgery and Dr Gross is expecting a "normal" recovery after which I will have no restrictions.

The pre-surgery appointment was incredibly enlightening. He blames most failed resurfacings on mal-placement of the acetabular cup. I know we're all familiar with the problems associated with "edge loading" the components. We discussed all of the issues that I had, and before we were done, I was 100% certain that I'd made the right choice in choosing him.

I woke up in recovery pain free. As you all know, that wouldn't last. My insurance, UHC, didn't have a contract with the surgery center, so I had to spend the night in Providence Orthopaedic Hospital. We played catch-up on pain beginning the next morning. They'd pumped me full of oxycontin and another fast acting pain killer. Those caused problems as bad as the pain. My urine production had slowed way down, but they checked me out anyway. Later that day I was nauseated and vomiting, and I couldn't pee (my bladder wasn't filling). I discontinued all pain medicine and within 4 hours those symptoms resolved. No more nausea and I was up from 12:30-4AM this morning peeing.

The trip to the airport and then the flight and drive back home was uneventful. I'm haven't taken any pain medicine, except for acetaminaphine, since mid-day yesterday. I HATE taking pain pills and unless I have a spike in pain, I'll just stay on acetaminapnine.

Here's an xray of the finished product.
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

hernanu

Re: Biomet with Dr Gross, Jan 7
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:52:41 AM »
Congrats and good that you made it home well. I also did only acetaminophen (strong amount) and the pain was bearable.

You'll have good and bad days, but the whole is excellent since the OA is gone.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

JHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:30:19 AM »
Well although I'm no surgeon that xray looks great to me. Congratulations! I know you went through some ups and downs prior to this so glad it worked out. I'm was very confident in Dr. Gross and even more so now 3 weeks post-op.

Regarding pain you might want to call the office about the side-effects, maybe they can help you manage that. After a few days to a week you won't really need it much anyway.

Good luck on the recovery and keep us posted.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
Looks good to go! ;) hope you have a swift and smooth recovery :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

jss

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
Guys, thanks for the encouragement. I have a question. Before surgery I'd read of the "clunking" that some of us get in the device; and see that JHippy is experiencing it also. Is it known what the clunking is? And if it ever goes away?

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
Guys, thanks for the encouragement. I have a question. Before surgery I'd read of the "clunking" that some of us get in the device; and see that JHippy is experiencing it also. Is it known what the clunking is? And if it ever goes away?

Congratulations on your new resurfacing. The clunking is caused by deep ligament tissue slipping or "twanging" across the pelvis when you move certain ways. It may or may not go away completely.

I have not heard of anyone where it is a problem. The clunks tend to occur when you are just standing and slowly shift your weight. The same motion done faster and it doesn't happen.

I can reproduce clunks at will. It's like cracking your knuckles. You can do it but it never happens when you using your hands.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »

Not all of us get it, but a good number do.

I got it, mostly when I was brushing my teeth. Now it may be that it was when my environment was the quietest and I noticed it, or when  I was standing still and rocking sideways. Who knows.

Anyways, it was subtle but I could hear it. After about nine months it was fully gone. I think that some of it is caused by our smaller supporting muscles having been weakened. As you recover and they become stronger, it goes away.

I don't think I've had clunking for quite a while. Dehydration can cause it as well, just make sure that no matter what you're doing you're well hydrated.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jss

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »
A 10 day post-op update.

The clunking continues (incurred maybe ... 4 times a day), but as y'alls testimonies say this is normal, I'm not concerned. I was able to discontinue acetaminophen yesterday and removed dressing placed at the time of surgery. To my surprise the incision had already stopped oozing and had no scabs. I'm not going to use that as an excuse to hammer out 1000 meters in the pool, but I'm very happy with the incision. Mobility and pain with movement gets a little better each day, and I even managed to sleep on my non-operative side for a bit last night.

Though I knew it would get better, the first three or four days were kind of ... discouraging. I'm sure glad to be past that. Of course cabin fever is setting in pretty strongly. Today has been the first nice day here (Dallas) where one could go outside and not freeze down to the implant. It was nice to stand outside (on crutches) for a few minutes today.

catalina55

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 12:11:51 AM »
Hey JSS,
Checking in on how the healing is going?  I'm scheduled with Dr Gross on 3/2.  Have to be honest, the level of anxiety is rising.  Being 46 and very healthy, except for that right hip OA, Ive never had a surgery or even an ER visit.  I am schedule to start work 2 weeks post op.  My job is mostly from behind a desk but I do occasionally have to meet with people an do short procedures.  Just wondering what you thought about that.

Thanks.

jss

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
Catalina,

Condolences on needing a hip reline, but all indications I've seen suggest that you're in very good hands. If, may God forbid, either I or my wife need another hip, I'd expect that we'd fly back out to Columbia, SC and have him do it.

I'm almost four weeks post-op and am right on schedule concerning recovery. I'm even going to shed the cane today. I can sit, ride in a car and lay down PAIN FREE! I feel better than I did pre-op. I'm even eyeing Ironman Coure d'Arlene for 2016.

Unfortunately, the hip resurfacing is my fourth artificial joint. It was easier than the spine surgeries, but more difficult than the ankle/foot surgery. The only difficulty I had was concerning pain medicine, which you can read in my first post of this thread. Preparing me for surgery they gave me something to relax me, and it worked! So once they hang the first bag on your IV pole pre-op, any anxiety will be vanquished. The last thing I remember was transferring to the operating table in the OR and leaning forward, presumably for them insert the epidural. (seriously, they could have set me on fire and I wouldn't have remembered) On waking up in recovery I had no pain and laid there for a half hour before they moved me to a private room. It is a strange feeling; being clear minded and then waking up in recovery. Two hours have past, but you'll have no sensation of the passage of time or any grueling ordeal.

Though the pain post-op was worse than the achilles/foot surgery, the recovery has been orders of magnitude easier. Once I was past the first week, I needed not even Tylenol for pain, plus I was allowed to bear 100% weight on the operative hip. So stepping into and out of the shower, putting on underwear/pants, etc ... was not too much of a challenge.

I'm an engineer and make a living behind computers, signal generators, spectrum analyzers, etc ... at a desk and in a lab and returned to work five days post-op. Surgery on Wednesday, flew home (Dallas) on Friday, and worked from home over the VPN beginning the following Monday. The Monday after that, 12 days post-op, I resumed going back into the office/lab. The only problem was that I was still hooked up to the ice machine and it was inconvenient plugging and unplugging every time I needed to get up for something, and of course carrying it from home to work while still on crutches.

The hospital environment, IV's, needles, monitors, strangers looking at you in places that make you uncomfortable, etc... will be a challenge and as it is your first time will make you anxious. But know that they do this ALL THE TIME and that MILLIONS of others have been through exactly what you're fixing to go through and almost everyone comes out without issue.

I hope you'll keep us updated. Good luck in March; you're going to do great!

catalina55

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:03:18 AM »
JSS,

Appreciate the advice and encouragement.  Just thinking about doing a triathlon is incredible. Incredible after resurfacing but after four arthroplasties?  That is outstanding.   I was training for my first triathlon 5 years ago when the incessant right hip pain just became too much.  I avoided getting the radiographs because I knew it wouldn't be good.  Despite my low expectations I was till shocked to see bone on bone. 

I'd love to be able to run again,  Dr. Gross did tell me that some patients just are not able to run after resurfacing due to discomfort.  I remain hopeful as it was such a big part of my life.

It sounds like our jobs are similar (radiologist) and I should be okay with the two weeks off if my progress is similar to yours. I'll keep my fingers crossed.  Unfortunately I am also similar to you with respect to pain meds.  I really do not do well with them at all.  It is actually, at this point, one of my biggest worries.  Hopefully I'll be able to get off the narcotics as quickly as you.

My procedure is scheduled as an outpatient. I spend too much time in hospitals as it is.  I'll stay 2 nights at the hotel across the street and then fly home to Tucson on the 3rd day.  If all goes according to plan.

Thanks again,
Chris

packman

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
Chris - I had Dr. Gross do my right hip March 21/13 - he and his team were fantastic. My advice - the hotel if it is that Mariott junior chain - cannot remember the name of it - don't get the handicapped room near the elevator - we had a mixup on day 2 and had to move and well that room is so noisy from the elevator machinery.
A nurse came by for check on blood pressure etc both days and Dr. Gross came by both days so you will be in good hands. The fast acting short term med probably Oxy I took on day one but it threw me for a brain loop so dropped that for day 2 & was fine. Get a big rental car is my advice - all your leg muscles are ripped and it's like a log lifting it into a car. I had to lay on my back with the seat fully reclined and drag myself in
L
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

catalina55

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 02:41:14 AM »
L,
Glad to here that things went well for you. Thanks for the advice.  Dr Gross' office arranged for the hotel.  They have me reserved at the Residence Inn by Marriott. I wonder if should contact Nancy or the hotel directly regarding the elevator?  We did rent an SUV. Hopefully that will work.  The idea of navigating the trip back Tucson is a little daunting.

Thanks again for the help,
Chris

packman

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:38:46 AM »
I would call the hotel and/or Nancy - there are 2 handicapped rooms with the walk in Shower, unless the Residence Inn modified more.  One was near a door at the end of the hallway where we stayed for the 1st day testing and then 1st day post-op. The other room that we had had to move to unfortunately due to a previous reservation (not Dr. Gross) was near the elevator. If you can avoid that one as sleep is precious and the noise from the elevator motor going up and down just added to the discomfort. The Residence Inn was clean and had a reasonable breakfast. Your cohort will get you Wendy's chicken salad or Cracker Barrel takeout as those were the only nearby food.
The other advice on Airline - see if you can get bulkhead seating unless going first class. You will want the extra leg room and the aisle seat with your leg on the inside. I just shuddered at the idea of the flight attendant or anyone else passing by and knocking the op leg or tripping over it.
Also bring 2 pillows - you will want to put them on the wheelchair to elevate yourself as the general advice is to avoid sitting at right angles and you'll want to be elevated. I wish I had of known this as that was fairly agonizing and I have a high pain threshold from playing a fair bit of contact sports. It is very tiring to crutch the entire distance thru the airport and I needed the wheelchair for time.
All the best - Nancy & Lee Webb are fabulous too - of course they like us Canadians!
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

jss

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
Four and a half weeks post-op and am now more ambulatory than before surgery. If I concentrate on it, I can walk without a limp.

Yesterday the wife and I went for a leisurely 3 mile stroll through Breckenridge Park; my first attempt at anything over a half mile. I wanted to walk the whole park, but the gluteals that Dr Gross navigated through were complaining by the time we got to fork in the path that required a decision to go back to the car or go on a 5-ish mile loop. So we went back to the car. They feel Ok now, the morning after, but they did complain the rest of the day yesterday.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 04:37:08 PM »
That sounds about right. Good decision to go back to the car, not all Hippies (yours truly included) would be sensible enough to stop before it got too bad.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

ecchastang

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
Wanted to check in for an update, since I see you also had perthes disease as a kid.  I sent my x-rays to Dr. Gross and he says I am a perfect candidate, even though Dr. Rector and Pritchett said I am not a candidate for resurfacing, and Dr. Brooks and McMinn said I am a probable candidate.  Waiting for the call from Gross to start the process. 
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

jss

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:40 AM »
I had my six week check up two weeks ago.  I had x-rays and an appointment with a PT and the sent it all off to Gross for evaluation.

The PT put me through all kinds of stretches, strength and ROM measurements.  While I am pain free and get around without a limp (after the first few steps after standing), the evaluation showed me that I have a long way to go.  She put me on a stationary bike.  As I've made a habit out of 60-100 mile bike rides, I figured it would be easy.  Whew!  I had to move the seat to the highest position and then struggled on each cycle as the pedal on the operative side approached top-dead-center.

She assured me that I was doing great for being only six weeks post op.  She went over all of the phase 2 exercises that you're supposed to begin at 6 weeks.  Except for the two that used the hip abductors and lateral rotators, I had no problem.  The ones that gave me trouble were the ones that used the muscles through which Gross navigated to get to the joint.  For the first 10 or so days, I could do the phase 2 exercises only once every three days; far short of the prescribed three times per day.  The aforementioned muscles that were effect by the surgery were unhappy for three days afterwards.  I've finally gotten to where I can do them once a day; which is probably where I'll hang out for a while.

I haven't heard back from Gross on the evaluation yet, but the PT assured me that I was having a fantastic recovery.

jss

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 01:54:14 AM »
I sent my x-rays to Dr. Gross and he says I am a perfect candidate, even though Dr. Rector and Pritchett said I am not a candidate for resurfacing, and Dr. Brooks and McMinn said I am a probable candidate.

I had a similar experience; Pritchett agreed to do the resurfacing, but thought that a replacement would be more appropriate for me.  A local guy hands down refused to do either a resurfacing or a replacement.  Rogerson and Gross said, "No problem."  Gross had done over 100 Perthes and had yet to have one come back with a failure.  Rogerson hadn't been doing Perthes as long, and he wasn't in-network with any insurance providers; so the decision was pretty easy.

A note while waiting for Gross's call...  Murphy and Pandora both dictate that he'll call at an inopportune time.  I wish I had printed all my questions and kept them inside the cover of my phone so I would have been ready when he called.

Please keep us posted, and good luck!

ecchastang

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:36 AM »
Just curious, how long after the call were you able to schedule surgery?
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats