+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Six-month update  (Read 2202 times)

Sadie1

Surgery
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »
I have scheduled surgery scheduled Feb with Dr Gross.  Am very nervous about the recovery period.  I am female and have read that resurfacing is better for males.  Any comments or opinions?

Dannywayoflife

Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
Worry not your under a great surgeon. Your correct resurfacing statistically doesn't do as well in women as men however a huge part of that is the surgeons skill. In the top surgeons hands the difference is tiny.'
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Sadie1

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
Thank you. 

Snowbound

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:17:56 PM »
I believe it's also a case that fewer women meet the criteria, but if you have a good surgeon and he feels that HR is the way to go then you should have nothing to worry about I know a woman in her mid forties who's had a hip done and she's extremely happy with the result.

Juno

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:32:58 AM »
Search and check out my story. I am a 50 year old very active, small boned female and has both hips successfully done by Dr. Gross last year. I couldn't be happier! Great recovery and I can now do all physical activities. I don't even think about my hips any more. Best of luck!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
Surgery as a whole is scary.

I've had two for HR though, and have to say that each time it was such a relief since I felt the difference right away. Not that the recovery is easy, but the OA was gone. Gone gone gone.

The best results come from the best surgeons, and Dr. Gross from the testimonials here is one of the best. So you're in very good hands, more so because a skilled surgeon won't do an HR if it doesn't have the prospect of being successful.

If you want more information about Dr. Gross's success rate with women, I'd call his office and ask for that. You should go into this as comfortable as possible.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jss

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:57:36 AM »
Sadie,

I had surgery with Dr Gross on Jan 7. I won't bore you with the details, but feared that my Leggs-Calves-Perthes deformity would put me in the same contraindication category as a "small boned woman" for hip resurfacing. Both Dr Gross and his assistant, Lee, immediately squelched that notion by decrying that there is any such contraindication.

The way they explained it to me ... was that proper placement of the acetabular cup will eliminate the problem that has led to the story-line against some women having resurfacing. Because there is less bone in the acetabulum, many surgeons would use cups that were too shallow, resulting in an artificial dysplasia; which when combined with a MoM implant would result in metallosis. Dr Gross is well versed in the problem with which you are concerned and knows exactly how to avoid it.

You're going to do great. Good luck!
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

JHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
Good luck with the surgery, Sadie. You're in great hands.

The recovery is very manageable. Uncomfortable in the beginning, but it's temporary and gets better quickly. You'll definitely want help for the first couple weeks, though.

Here's an article by Dr. Gross about hip resurfacing for women:
http://www.surfacehippy.info/hip-resurfacing-for-women-dr-gross-2013.php
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

petemeads

Six-month update
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »
Just wanted to give my update at six months- and found the forum broken! Well done to Pat for getting things back to normal again.
At six months I have a metal hip which is better than my other one both for pain and range of movement and I am very pleased with the way things are working out. My operation was done with a lateral incision which made abduction very hard for the first few days but allowed me to walk well with two crutches (only allowed partial weight-bearing initially) from day 6. No ice, lots of swelling and lots of getting up in the night to pee - as reported by many others here. Stockings and aspirin for six weeks, could put my own stockings on by the third week.
Some physiotherapy but mainly walking to get muscles working again - encouraged by the physio, who said research indicated walking was as good as PT exercises.
By 6 weeks I had walked 60 miles but then overdid things by walking too far too fast (6.4m at 4mph) on the day I was allowed to drive again. This set me back to using one crutch for another week but by week 8 I was back on the climbing wall. Later that week I jogged my first 5k with no problems.
To date I have done 520 miles on foot and 240 miles on bikes, static and road, with longest walk of 21 miles around the Peak District and fastest 5k of 24:36 (which is my best time for over a year) and longest run/jog of 8.4 miles. I reckoned I could run further but basic fitness is the limiting factor at the moment.
My surgeon was very understanding and gave me no restrictions apart from the initial partial weight bearing, saying I was not to knock the head off my femur in the first 6 weeks. He knows I climb and run and is pleased that everything has gone so well for me, but is not happy to have a go at the other hip until it becomes really necessary. Fair enough, I suppose, but it will be a limiting factor very soon and I am not getting any younger...
Age 69, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

MattJersey

Re: Six-month update
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »
Great stuff Pete, inspirational and motivational. I'll be four weeks post op next week, and feel like the progress is coming nicely. I guess six week check up will pass soon and then six months will come round quick as ...

Long may your success continue!
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

shoraztri

Re: Six-month update
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »
Hi petemeads,
Thats great news on your 6 month report. Wow , your sure are chewing out those kms and an excellant Run speed time per km. That 5km at 24.36 certainly is slick. No doubt your Biking is "flying" along so to speak. Congrats all round. ;D
I am approaching my 11 month POST Op. so will write up my progress in early July. :)
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear