+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 months post-op  (Read 19161 times)

MattJersey

Re: When Is Enough Enough?
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 03:07:56 AM »
My legs are a little sore again today, no painkillers so will take one now, having overdone it a little yesterday.

I don't really see any reason why it should be contained to a mile, but I will try to stay sensible and follow the advice I was given. Different surgeons have different protocols. Obviously I've already overdone a mile more than once, and it seems only to make me a bit sore then ok again once recovered.

Regarding one crutch, cane or two ... I notice that whilst I can get around inside the house, and out really, on one crutch, I have been walking in front of a big mirror at home and can see I am leaning over to my good leg even though I don't feel I am limping much. Put two crutches in my hands and I then have the confidence to walk better, and load my operated leg more, albeit with a tiny limp still.

So, if you're getting around fine on the cane, I would ask: how much weight do you lean on the cane? If you're putting any weight at all on it, then I would suspect it means you're limping (if only a little).

I expect a physiotherapist would be best judge though. And, besides, I'm not sure it matters much, since so many hippies here are on the cane after a week or two and it doesn't seem to have had any long term effect on their outcome ... Who knows, maybe it even accelerates recovery to normal gait.

Ultimately, like most things, a personal decision taken under advice from your surgeon, I suppose.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

JHippy

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 03:19:16 AM »
@Ernie & @Comfortably Numb: I encourage you guys to check with Nancy @Dr. Gross' office. When I was there pre-op they told me of someone who "screwed up his hip" because he walked two miles within less than two weeks post surgery. They were beside themselves as to why someone would do that. I wish I'd probed for more info; I'm curious myself.

@Matt: I really think you should only be walking as far as you can where you're NOT sore the next day.

It's repetitive weight bearing and impact (however minor). Is 10 miles okay? 20? There's a limit somewhere. I don't see how more distance is an any way helpful. Check with your doctors and post what they say here, I'd really like to know.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
JHippy and others.  I just checked with Nancy and this is what she said:
"Our general rule regarding walking is no more than 1.5 total miles per day until after 6 weeks."

This seems to be very reasonable and something I feel comfortable with.  I think a lot of that mileage should be devoted to concentrating on proper form, minimal limping, etc.
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

MattJersey

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
I'm in agreement JHippy, I am trying to follow my surgeon's advice but "by accident" have overdone it. So, for example, had my wife drop me by the supermarket and thought I'd walk back, it's only a short way. But I put my phone's pedometer app on, and it's telling me it was 900 metres, and I'd already done a couple of hundred metres walking the dog outside in the morning.

Similar thing happened walking over to the golf course for lunch. It's not far I thought, no problem, and then found it was 700 metres each way.

Just easy to over-do it. So I am now being extra cautious to contain my poor judgement and over-confidence!
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

ecchastang

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »
I hit the 5 week mark yesterday and celebrated by doing some rock climbing (on top rope, of course). 
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
I hit the 5 week mark yesterday and celebrated by doing some rock climbing (on top rope, of course).

I think that's fantastic considering where you were a few weeks ago when you were looking for a second opinion!  Hell, I think it's fantastic when anyone takes it to the cracks!  Not my cup of tea, but I do like to watch.
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal