+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR 23 yrs after a varus osteotomy for legg-perthes-calve disease?  (Read 2519 times)

ecchastang

I am 35, extremely active guy in Boulder.  I had a varus osteotomy for legg-perthes-calve disease when I was about 12.  I haven't seen a Dr. since about 16 (it was done by the Shriner's).  It has bothered me over the years, getting progressively worse, and seems to have accelerated in the last 1.5 yrs.  2 yrs ago, I could still do 7 mile runs, 15 mile hikes, etc.  I would feel it afterwards, but overall it was tolerable.  Now I feel it with a 1 mile walk.  My ROM has always been bad, but getting worse as well. 

So my question is, since my femur neck angle was changed with the prior surgery, is it still even an option for hip resurfacing.  My bones must be strong, as I can still deadlift 382 about 2 weeks ago but it is a lot of rounding of back, as my hip won't flex enough to avoid that.  BTW, I am 5'6" 165 lbs, so not overweight either. 
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

einreb

Re: BHR 23 yrs after a varus osteotomy for legg-perthes-calve disease?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:48 PM »
This doesn't directly answer your question... you're going to have to reach out to very experienced surgeons.

I had perthes, researched resurfacing for years and eventually pulled the trigger with Dr Gross.  I did not have the varus osteotomy so i cant speak to that, but my hip was really oddly shaped.

Do you still have screws/metal in your hip?  I suspect is a function of the remaining bone left in the neck and if there is enough bone there to place the device properly.

Good luck! I suspect I can relate to what you are going through with regards to limiting activity, pain, etc...  the last few years for me before surgery were pretty miserable.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

ecchastang

Re: BHR 23 yrs after a varus osteotomy for legg-perthes-calve disease?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »
Yes, the metal was removed about 20 yrs ago.  That was my last X-ray, shortly after that.  I have an appt with Dr. Rector here in Boulder March 2nd, 4 weeks away.  He has done over 800 resurfaces. 
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal