+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kettlebell Training after Resurfacing  (Read 11735 times)

encore

Kettlebell Training after Resurfacing
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
Hello All,

I have been coresponding with the golfer's out there who have been resurfaced, but I also have been involved in training with weights my entire life. I am 45 years old now. This all came to a halt about 7 years ago when I developed a sudden pain in my right hip due to stretching out for a run one afternoon. It never became any better; only worse. After a labrel tear repair to that right hip, several more years of limping, no running of course, and very little weight bearing exercise, and an additional 25 Ibs to my mid section, I somehow managed to get in regular work days and a round or two of golf every week.

Prior to this I had trained feverishly in gyms and and had fallen in love with running off road for long distances. My father was a bodybuilder in the 1950's, so I couldn't help but pick up on the lifestyle as a young teenager.

After discovering Dr. Gross early this past winter I found myself under his care and on his operating table on March the 12th. Now I am just about 4 months post-op and have been truly blessed with a rapid recovery. I am back on the golf course (too often says my wife) and the physical therapy was a sinch due to my training background. I did however find myself overdoing it regularly and it would literally take days to recover at times. During my 6 week follow up appointment, Dr. Gross and his assistant, Lee, were both very pleased with my progress and range of motion but warned me of over-doing things and the harmful outcomes that could occur with doing too much, too soon. I have followed their advice but have worked very hard on the elliptical trainer and continued to do body weight resistance workouts such as push ups, chins, etc.

But... Here's the good part. Recently I discovered Kettlebells. Some of you will be familiar with these. Holding true to my promise to Dr. Gross and Lee, I purchased a very light 20 Ib Kettlebell. Since I cannot squat (or was advised not to) or do big complex weight lifting movements any longer due to the pressure it will place on my still recovering femoral head and neck, I have incorporated this small round iron ball sporting a handle into my regular workouts. This little Kettlebell is kicking my tail. And I used to deep squat 405 Ibs for reps. There are numerous training regimens with these, but I have chosen one that allows me to workout non stop for 20 - 30 minutes. The exercises are done with zero rest inbetween switching hands and I am only flexing my legs and hips somewhat as I do the movements. (I hope I haven't found a loophole around Dr. Gross's strict instructions) Using the Kettlebell places just enough stress on my lower body that I am feeling sore in my glutes and hamstrings the morning after each workout, but no deep or sharp pain in that joint. I can't say the same for my upper body though, and my waist line is shrinking too.

A word to the wise: I was fortunate enough for my pain to end, entirely, about 4 - 5 weeks ago. Even upon standing I no longer experience pain. I've been working terribly hard on the pt exercises as well as on my elliptical trainer; a lot. I wouldn't think of starting a hard resistant training program if I still had any pain, and I would stop immediately if I did. The body is amazing and has its own way of yelling at us when we do things to it we shouldn't. If anyone reading this is thinking of beginning a weight training program after having a hip or two resurfaced, I would make sure you are at the very least out of the "pain" phase and would probably get your surgeons input as well. Dr. Gross told me to allow my body to be the judge, to go into things slowly for an entire year, and to absolutely not do anything to jepordize both of our efforts.   

If there is anyone out there post-op from hip resurfacing who is using Kettlebells I would like to hear from you. So far, so good, for me and that little terror of a Kettlebell... All 20 Ibs of it.

Jeff   
R Uncemented Resurfacing
Dr. Gross; 3/12/2008

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Kettlebell Training after Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:05:59 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Congratulations on your speedy recovery! I'm only 13 days post op so only pt exercises and a little elliptical for me now. Before surgery I was training regularly with kettlebells. Great for conditioning. It sounds like the routine you are using is perfect for where you are at. I like your approach of getting back into it and letting your body tell you when enough is enough. I'll be doing the same thing.

take care,

spencer

Tekka

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I've only just come across you topic, interesting...i'm a Kettlebell Instructor here in the UK, i coach all types of athletes of all levels and i am always amazed at the first time reaction of a bell session....even blows the hardcore away. I'm scheduled for a re-surf end of Jan 09. I would be really interested what ur doing with the bell and how ur getting on with your re-couperation.

ps i'm 12 stone and can swing,clean and snatch a 32kg " it's all in the hips...well it was !!! )

Regards
Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »
Hi guys how are you getting on? Are you guys still able to swing the bells ok?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »
Hey Danny,

Better than ever! Don't even think about the hip anymore.

Tekka

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:09:24 AM »
Hello Danny,

I continue to use a bell twice a week.

On the same page as Spencer...dont really think about the hip.

Cheers Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat