+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nerve Damage  (Read 7841 times)

janecavallo

Nerve Damage
« on: July 13, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
Hi

I had a BHR on April 9th 08 at the NOC Oxford, England. I am 43 years old and after the surgery I suffered nerve damage. Three months on and I can still not walk because my leg gives way. I can not get up the stairs so have to live downstairs. I am unable to lift my leg of the bed and have numbness down the leftside of my right leg and foot. I also have a bedsore due to numbness in my foot. I have seen a neurologist and had conductive nerve tests which showed damage to the sciatic nerve. I have been told it will take time to heal. I have a life to get back too but have no idea how long this is all going to take. HELP.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Nerve Damage
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
Hi Jane

I gave you your own topic since you have something really important to talk about.

I am very sorry to hear about your nerve damage.  There is no way to predict how long it will take to heal.  The doctors should give you the best idea.

Some people have had problems that took a year or two to heal, while some never healed.  I certainly hope for your sake, that yours will begin to heal in time.

Unfortunately, none of us are doctors here, we are just patients.  We certainly can talk with you and give you support, but we just don't do much more than that.

Has your numbness gotten any better over the last 3 months?  Have the doctors given you any special PT or exercises to try to help?  I really don't know any, but just wondered what they were trying to do for you.

I wish I could say more, but I can't.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep in touch if you need someone to talk with. We have lots of good listeners here who will help give you moral support.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »
Hi Jane,

Sorry to hear about your nerve damage.  Who was your doctor?  Do you know if he used the anterior or posterior approach?  I know several patients that have had drop foot or nerve damage.  They have described it to me as a burning fire sensation and very painful at times.  The only thing that heals it is time.  I know several that it took about six months to a year before it got better, but the several cases I know of all did get better.  It is extremely rare if it takes much longer than a year.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Vicky

janecavallo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »
Hi Vicky

Thanks for your reply, the Consultant was a Mr Dipak Raj at NOC, Oxford and I believe he used the posterior approach due to the scar being right round the back of my backside. I have had four replacements on my left side, two being done at Oxford by a different Consultant and also being THRS. I really hoped having the BHR to my right side would have made my life a lot easier, but unfortunately it all seems to have gone wrong. I have "electric shock" type pain in my foot and also burning sensensations. Just wondering how many others have ever suffered the same problems, or am I only in the 1per cent.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »
Actually with both the anterior lateral and posterior lateral, you can not tell which approach a doctor did on you unless he tells you.  The incision is in the same place for both, it is the side the doctor dislocates the hip on and which muscles are cut.  I know of several people this has happened to, some heal in six months, some have taken up to a year.  I personally do not know any that have taken longer than that, but have read a post of one person that had permanent nerve damage.  Both are very rare but does happen.  I have also read of a few that had it for only a few weeks or a month or two.  I hope yours goes away sooner rather than later.  Nerve damage can happen with either resurfacing or THR's.

Keep us posted and keep your chin up.
Vicky

vcollins

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
I had hip resurfacing surgery with Dr. Mont 10 months ago.  Since about month 5 I have had some thigh discomfort with a sciatica like feeling.  I have been told that I have piriformis syndrome and need to rest, stretch, and get some deep tissue massage.  I hope this plan of action helps.

V. Collins

Buddy

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »
Buddy Levy here, from Moscow, Idaho. I'm three weeks post op and generally, things are going great. Have transitioned to cane, the hip joint feels excellent, and there is only moderate discomfort at the incision--pretty normal I think. Even feels like I'm healing faster than the previous hip.

Except--this one odd problem I'm having which is located on the recent surgery side (left) and is in my low glut high hamstring area--in the back of my leg pretty much where the glut meets the hamstring. The skin feels dead, numb, and when pressure is applied (certain sitting positions, or direct contact of some sort) there is a sharp, deep, almost electrical pain back there. It's tingly and numbish, but if I press my fingers in there it feels like a deep, deep charley horse or something.

I first noticed this a few days after surgery, when getting into a car and pressing back against the car seat with my butt. But that was so soon after surgery I did not think much of it. Now, at three weeks, I'm concerned because it does not seem to be going away.

Any ideas what this might be? Feels like nerve damage or something.

Best,

Buddy

JanH

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:31:26 AM »
My husband had a 2nd hip replacement in July 2008 at Clinica San Rafael in Cadiz, Spain.  A few weeks after he came home he started getting pains in his groin and down into his thigh.  Over the next few weeks it got worse until in September he was hardly able to walk and found it impossible to go upstairs.  Like you, Jane, he had to sleep downstairs.  He is back in hospital now and still they haven't told us what could be wrong.  When I read your posting this morning it seemed a similar thing had happened to you.  How are things now?  I would like to keep in touch.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:33:17 AM »
Hi Jan

I am sorry to hear about your husband's post op surgery problem with his resurfacing.

I am not a doctor and can't help with any suggestions.  Hopefully, the doctor will find out what is wrong.  Sometimes a misplaced or moved acetabular cup can cause a lot of problems, but only x-rays and an experienced surgeon can tell you what is really wrong.

There is a great group of folks on the discussion group and I hope that at least we can give you some support.  Please tell your husband that he is in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

loriding69

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
My husband had a 2nd hip replacement in July 2008 at Clinica San Rafael in Cadiz, Spain.  A few weeks after he came home he started getting pains in his groin and down into his thigh.  Over the next few weeks it got worse until in September he was hardly able to walk and found it impossible to go upstairs.  Like you, Jane, he had to sleep downstairs.  He is back in hospital now and still they haven't told us what could be wrong.  When I read your posting this morning it seemed a similar thing had happened to you.  How are things now?  I would like to keep in touch.

Tacoma Washington here. My name is Eyria and I had resurfacing done in 2003, now i'm hardly able to walk some days and as for the shooting pain down my thigh, my docs aren't sure of what is going on. My PT told me because of my age it would be best to go ahead and get another either resurfacing or THR done. So that i can live my younger years pain free and still do the things that i love to do now and not regret it later. Just wanted to let out a little frustration. Take care and god speed.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »
Hi Eyria

I am sorry to hear about your current problems with your hip resurfacing.

Who originally did your resurfacing?  What device did you get?  How old are you?

Can the pain be refered pain from your back?  Have you tried a chiropractor?

Have you had x-rays of your hip resurfacing?  If you do, you can send them to some of the really experienced surgeons to see if they can tell what is going on.

I hope to hear back from you.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM