+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Marchand  (Read 5337 times)

jschoef

Dr. Marchand
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »
I first heard about the BHR watching the Tour de France when Floyd Landis (cough) won it.  I then continually researched this procedure and met many doctors including Dr. Su. in NYC who is one of the most known doctors for this surgery.  He was pleasant enough…but I drove 5 hours to meet him and paid nearly $500.00 for the appointment and he spent about 10 minutes with me, which is fine as it wasn’t a surprise what was wrong with my hip.  I had all the xrays and an mri already done.  Over the next few years after meeting him, I was supposed to get him new xrays every year which was a challenge.  I would mail them and the PA would tell me the disk didn’t work (I am an IT professional, I tested the disk before I sent it in).  I then would email them and the PA would tell me he couldn’t see it well.  I would also not get very clear answer from the PA about what to do or how my hip was doing.  I gave up after some time and stopped contact with his office.  Now 6 years later I make an appointment with Dr. Marchand in RI.  He was very pleasant and informative.  He even gave me his personal cell phone number (which I am sure he regrets).  He talked to me several times before the surgery via text and voice.  He performed the surgery on me 7 weeks ago and I am almost fully recovered.  Dr. Marchand has done over 1300 BHRs and that info should be updated on this site.  He has a 3 month wait list of patients and when I ask him questions via text, he still always gets right back to me immediately even on the weekends.  I have never met a doctor like him.  I cannot say enough good things about this Doctor.  His staff is very pleasant to deal with also.  On a side note, Dr. Su doesn’t take my insurance and from what I know, he doesn’t take a lot of major insurances.  Dr. Marchand does, so this wasn’t too expensive either.  I was also an out of state patient.  People in the New England area should really consider Dr. Marchand as he pretty much has no failures from any fault of his own and is a top doc for this procedure.  Oh a side note, this website is priceless as it answers almost every question/concern.  If anybody has questions on the BHR or Dr. Marchand, don’t hesitate to contact me.
BHR Left Hip, Dr. Marchand 2/15

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Dr. Marchand
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Thank You for taking time to update Dr. Marchand's info.  The best way for perspective patients to learn about surgeons is often thru other patient stories, as yours. I updated Dr. Marchand's info. 

I am glad to hear you are doing well. I hope you will give us some updates in the future. 

Thanks again for taking time to share information.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jschoef

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:42:42 PM »
Thanks, I have lots to share if anyone asks.  I am a former mountain bike racer and was racing at a very high level at one time.  I still keep in top cycling shape and after 7 weeks, I am already at full strength on the bike and just 2 weeks ago, it seemed like an impossibility I would be this strong.  Dr. Marchand laid out a timeline for my recovery and it was pretty much perfect with what he gave me for expectations.  When quoting this site, it would be called a "Superman Recovery".  Granted, I went into the surgery in very good shape and I am relatively young (38).

BTW, When I saw Dr. Su 6 years ago, he told me he was over 3000 BHRs so I am pretty sure he is much higher then that now which means his data is way out of date too.

moe

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
Welcome to the site. Congrats on your great results. Dr Marchand and South County Ortho are awesome. He does not advertise or seek publicity but is the best in New England. He did both my hips about 6 years ago and I've never looked back. Also a former road and mtb racer, although older than yourself. I still ride a lot. Last year I crashed on ice in Big River hard enough to break my femur but the BHR held up and my femur healed as he said it would.

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

jschoef

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
Hi Moe,
I am familiar with you!  I researchered the forums and read what you had to say about Dr. M.  Thanks for the info!

evant

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:05:58 AM »
Enjoyed reading your post.

Glad you're doing well.

Good to hear how experienced Dr Marchand is.

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »
Hi Moe,
I am familiar with you!  I researchered the forums and read what you had to say about Dr. M.  Thanks for the info!

Hey jschoef, good to hear that. I also first heard about BHR's from Landis, cough cough! 

Take it easy in your recovery and focus on the long term and you'll be fine. Even though you feel great now the bone in growth and full healing still needs to occur. A crash now would not be good. Stay safe. If I can help in any way let me know.

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

RAGraham

I just officially joined this website today (two weeks post-op for Birmingham Hip Rresurfacing), although I browsed the site for the 18 months or so prior to surgery to understand what BHR was all about (versus total hip), what expectations should be, what doctors were recommended, etc. My Kaiser Permanente healthcare plan does not do BHRs and was recommending Total Hip Angioplasty. However, the head of orthopedics in Denver, Dr. John Gargaro, had performed a few BHRs prior to joining Kaiser so I spoke candidly with him in October 2014. Based on that conversation, I felt a BHR was still a strong candidate for me so I made several appointments with well-regarded hip surgeons in January (for consultations) and switched insurance plans to Anthem BCBS in January so I could visit the surgeons. I visited Dr. Brian White of Western Orthopedics (does not do BHRs, but is known for advanced hip procedures), Dr. James Rector of Boulder Orthopedics, and Dr. Peter Lammens of Panorama Orthopedics -- all from the Denver area. The preconceived notion was to get a BHR from Dr. Rector (well-regarded on this site), but to talk to Dr. Lammens (a relative unknown on this site) for another opinion, and to talk with Dr. White on the outside chance there was a procedure I was overlooking - there was not! Dr. Rector was professional and experienced with 1200+ BHRs to date (as of Jan 2015). I then saw Dr. Lammens and was surprised to learn that he had 1100+ BHRs (as of Jan 2015). I liked his straight-talking demeanor and his hospital was closer to me, so I opted for him. Very happy so far.

My background: 53 yr old male, extremely active in sports, high-level amateur sponsored racquetball player, sponsored backcountry skier, mogul/bump skier, mountain biker, hiker, snowshoer, non-technical mountain climber, etc. 5'10, 200 lbs, pulse in high 40s, blood pressure low 120s over mid-70s. Thought I pulled a muscle in a racquetball tournament about 5 years ago. After two years I had it looked at and was diagnosed with FAI - a condition in which an irregular-shaped femoral head can cause cartilage tears, which it did. At my age (late 40s), my only option was a total hip replacement and was advised to ward it off as long as I can since it probably would not last long with the type of sports I do. Another year later and I was feeling pain whenever I ran or walked, though I could still do all other sports, oddly enough. After another year, hiking, snowshoeing, climbing, etc. were out of my repertoire also due to back, thigh, hip pain. I skied just once last fall and found it painful. I continued to play racquetball 15+ hours a week but paid for it dearly. My game had diminished, my movements and mechanics were awkward, and I was starting to develop pains elsewhere for compensating for my hip. In the last several months, if I played at a high level, I limped for several days. That was the deciding factor.

My surgery with Dr. Peter Lammens of Panorama Orthopedics (Golden, CO) could not have gone better. Surgery was performed at OrthoColorado hospital (Lakewood, CO) and it is an absolute top-notch facility.

April 1-15, 2015: Played racquetball or squash every day. Almost wondered why I was having surgery done!
Thursday, April 16, 2015: Came out of surgery about 5:30 pm, out of recovery room about 6:30 pm. Plenty of drugs and felt fine, but woozy. Did the walker thing around the room about 11:30 pm and was surprised at how easy it was.
Friday, April 17, 2015: Did not get much sleep (lots of people to check on you in the hospital!), but felt good the next morning. Moved from my private bed to a reclining chair once the catheter was removed. Ate a full breakfast - not because I wanted to, but because I was under the impression that was one of the "check boxes" that needed to be checked before they would discharge me. Met with occupational therapy that morning. Walked to the therapy room on two crutches, walked back on just the cane. No problems with steps, clothing, restroom, etc. I was discharged around 1 pm. Then the meds wore off! Seriously, that night I wondered if I was premature in getting out of the hospital as I was in a lot of pain and felt far less mobile than previously. I took 12-hr Oxycontin, but I had to urinate roughly every hour all night long. Getting in and out of bed was very hard and painful - made worse because I was hooked up to an ice-therapy machine that I had to disconnect from each time!
Saturday, April 18, 2015: decided to forego painkillers. Did not like the side-effects. Used two crutches during the day, did two flights of stairs, did not sleep well at night. Did finally shower!!
Sunday, April 19, 2015: Switched to one crutch. Did 5300 steps, 8 flighs of stairs, slept a little better. Did not get up every hour to urinate, but slept fitfully.
Monday, April 20, 2015: Switched to cane. Did 9125 steps, 4.12 miles (cumulative - walking around house, etc.), 7 flights of stairs. Went back to 12-hr oxycontin at night. Only got up every 2-3 hours, but got better sleep overall.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015: Enlisted the aid of my 79-yr old father to purchase load, and carry a used reclining chair. Chairs in our house are either Victorian (think straight-backed, uncomfortable) or Mid-Century Modern (think comfy-looking, but low-slung and impossible to get in or out of). Absolutely sick of being on my back in bed. Recliner was a godsend. Was able to even cat-nap a little.
Thursday, April 23, 2015: One week post-op: Felt pretty darned good overall. 15,650 steps, 24 flights of stairs, 7.1 miles - but that included several walks, one of which was 1.25 miles with cane.
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 (yesterday): Eliminated my cane entirely. 17.400 steps, 33 flights of stairs, 7.85 miles, including a 1.75 mile walk. Had my ~2 week follow-up appointment. All is well, cleared to drive.
Thursday, April 30, 2015 (today): Back at work full-time (had been working from home about 4-6 hours/day until now). Activity stats are super-lame because I don't have the luxury of taking off for a walk whenever I want. Try to get up periodically. Glad to know that my Aeron office chair at work is far more comfortable than my antique wood desk chair at home!
Future: I am still observing the 90 degree rule, no crossed legs rule, and midline rule until told otherwise. I Intend to play golf at 6 weeks (not competitive) and get back on the racquetball court (again, not competitively) after my June 5 follow-up appointment. Hope to start hiking in mountains after that also. Intent to compete (very competitively) in a racquetball tournament in August -- just shy of 4 months post-op.

My observations:
- Because I was active until the day of my surgery, AND because I did not wait to have surgery until I could no longer walk at all, my muscles never atrophied. I have to believe that has really been a huge factor in the speed of my recovery.
- I also have to believe that my surgeon was largely responsible for my quick recovery by doing a perfect surgery. He told me I was the ideal candidate, came in at exactly the right time (just hitting bone on bone) and my muscle tone and bone density were excellent, so it made surgery easy.
- I suffered through a lot of pain, but am dedicated to a speedy recovery. I may have left the hospital one day too early and I definitely stopped taking pain meds too early. I should have continued pain meds during the day and dealt with the side effects (dehydration, constipation, slight headache). Now that I am back at work and driving, pain meds are not possible during the day, but I also would state that my pain is manageable without them anyway. I am very stiff from sitting.
- I found the rehab exercises to be insignificant compared to my overall activity level. I have worked hard to walk, climb stairs (including our winding basement stairs in our Victorian), to walk the dog, etc. I have been entirely self-sufficient at home since just a couple days after rehab - including cooking, loading/unloading dishwasher, keeping my ice therapy machine topped up, etc.
- I strongly recommend an ice therapy machine. I purchased mine at the hospital for $175 (DonJoy Clear3). I looked at the $3000 GameReady machine (which is actually prescribed by Dr. Rector in Boulder), but was not willing to spend that much. However, I still ice my surgical site all night, every night, so the $175 was well worth it. It cuts down on swelling and helps to manage the pain.
- I had gained about 15 pounds in the year prior to surgery due to slightly decreased activity level and I am slowly losing weight during recovery now so believe I will be at my normal weight 6 weeks post-op.

Overall, I found this website to be an incredible resource. Reading about other people's experiences was fantastic. It gave me a sense of what a long, short, and average recovery would be, and really gave me incredible insight into the surgical procedure itself. Going into the surgery, I felt very knowledgeable about how the surgery would be peformed and what to expect. Mostly, I felt very encouraged about all the positive attitudes and positive stories. I do not think I would have gotten beyond the metal-ion level scares and moved forward with a BHR without this website. Most advice was directing me to a total hip and I was simply not comfortable with that, given my lifestyle.

JHippy

Wow, congratulations! Resurfacing is definitely the right thing for you, glad you found out about it and found a experienced surgeon.

You're definitely recovering fast. Do be careful though. The tendency is to push through but remember it's more about healing than conditioning. I think of it as a broken bone + a torn ligament + pulled muscles. So definitely back off if you feel any pain at all either during an activity or the next day.

But sounds like you're doing great. By Fall I'm sure you're be 110%. Keep us posted! This site was an incredible resource for me as well.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Miguelito

Congratulations!

Though it sounds like you are never going to fall out of shape, be careful of your Achilles' as you ramp things up.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

toby

Hi and congratulations on you resurfacing and excellent recovery thus far. Great too to hear of another experienced, adept and supportive HR surgeon for potential US hippies, strange though with Dr Lammens BHR data that we haven't heard of him-why do you think?
I'm impressed with your progress and ambition but would just recommend that you don't rush-cos you're new hip will last a lifetime with appropriate nurturing,
Best Wishes
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

hernanu

Congratulations! Make sure you stay hydrated. Your body is trying to recover in all sorts of ways.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

MattJersey

Wow! Your two week update sounds epic. My surgeon goes with a much more conservative approach, so the usual six week restrictions, golf at 4 months. Hopefully chip and putt before then. But six weeks? I'm envious.

Best wishes for continued success and some great racquetball this year.

Can I ask, which hip? And you drive an automatic? (Possibly a silly question, as I think all Americans do, don't they?)

And, FAI often hits both hips, how's your other one? (Or are you a bilat? I will have to change "wow" to some even greater superlative!!)
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

RAGraham

Thanks for the positive comments, all.

JHippy and most people cautioned against doing too much too soon and I am absolutely being cognizant of that. I am pretty good at listening to my body, but I do tend to go to the edge. I had just one previous surgery (rotator cuff) and recovered extremely quickly. Bone healing, on the other hand, is new to me and that is when I need to listen to advice. My PA, who was present during surgery, said my bones are strong and dense, surgery was easy and perfect, and after 6 weeks I will probably be fine to return to sports in a cautious manner.

MattJersey, it is my right leg and yes, my vehicle is an automatic. I have no problems at all with pushing and pulling with my right foot (i.e. I will slam on the brakes if necessary!) and I have good leg strength. My vehicle also has automatic suspension so I can lower it to "access height" to make getting in and out easier. That being said, I work 1.4 miles from home and am only driving to and fro because it is still uncomfortable putting too much weight on my right hip while in the vehicle. I could not comfortably drive a long distance right now. Also, my FAI was in my right hip only. I am still unsure why it waited until I was in my late 40s to cause issues, as my understanding is it is something with which one is born. I have been a competitive athlete my entire life so surely I would have extended/overextended my hip plenty of times in the past. I do recall various right side leg and hip discomfort in high school and college (when I competed most seriously), so I wonder if I did cause tears in those early years, but they simply healed themselves? I am just guessing and am still mystified.

Mike, funny you mention the Achilles. A couple of weeks before surgery, I injured my Achilles tendon on my "good" side and was deathly afraid that if I caused too much damage, it might prevent surgery since there is a lot of dependency on the non-operated leg after surgery. So far, I have had no issues, although when walking the other night, someone turned abruptly into me and I tripped and jammed the foot on my non-operated leg, causing a "double limp." I am soaking that foot in Epsom Salts and it is doing better.

Hernanu, thanks for the reminder to stay hydrated. I confess that the tendency is to avoid hydration when on painkillers - to avoid having to get up too often at night. I am working back in to hydration mode. I happen to be a milk fiend, however, so I am drinking 3-4 gallons of milk a week, in addition to as much water as I can.

Toby, I don't know why Dr. Lammens was an unknown in the Surface Hippy world, given the number of surgeries he has performed. I suspect that unless/until someone puts his name forth (as I did), it won't show up. Patricia Walker said she would add him, but there really is no way she can be aware of every experienced BHR surgeon so it is really up to us to make the connection. My assumption prior to meeting with Dr. Lammens was that he had, perhaps, a handful of BHRs under his belt so I was very happy to learn that is is as experienced as Dr. Rector, another Colorado surgeon who is recognized as accomplished in BHR. After meeting with Dr. Lammens, I found that another local area racquetball player (someone I am acquainted with, but did not know well) had also had his BHR performed (8 years ago) by Dr. Lammens. I had an hour-long discussion with this other player and that helped me make my decision.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:12:02 PM by RAGraham »

hernanu

Sounds like you're doing it right, keep it up.

One thing to remember is that you're dealing with two types of healing - bone and muscle.

At this point bone is much more important and fragile. The device has to grow in correctly and hold on, too much pressure at this time no matter how good your muscles feel can be a problem. Think of gluing two pieces of anything together. Until the glue cures and holds, it is vulnerable.

Just follow your doctor's instructions and be patient - this is a marathon, not a sprint.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal