+-

Author Topic: Searching for a BHR Dr.  (Read 2199 times)

dunnfla123

Searching for a BHR Dr.
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis 7/05. The os  said a thr was necessary but, to wait as long as possible. I started researching and the bhr looked like the way to go. I waited for it's approval in the U.S. and have waited for experienced Drs. I'm ready and your site provided a list of Drs. and their experience. I naturally looked for one close to me and zeroed in on Dr. Kennedy's group in Tampa. I called an he no longer does surgery but, his co-hort, Stolarski does. (your list has him at 100+ resurfacings). Since I just made contact last week with his office I haven't gotten my 'list' of questions answered yet. What disturbs me is I just read somewhere on this site of a woman in Naples, Fl that visited him and was told he no longer does re-surfacing - I didn't get that info when I called his office and inquired about the procedure. I am worried that it might be the bait and switch and will expand my search regardless how  his office replies to my questions. I am an independent contractor and can take up to 3 months off and travel to anyplace in the U.S. I will probably contact Dr. Gross and several on the east coast. My question is how long will I have to remain in area of surgery and when would I be able to drive/fly back home to Fl. I am single but could have my son/brother come drive me if necessary. Also, how do I rate Drs. with 100 + bhr's, besides the different blog sites? Thank you, nervous 52 yo male in Fl!   P.S. could the surgery timeline be possible in the last month of this year or is that unrealistic? 

Firehip

• BHR done on 1/20/09
Re: Searching for a BHR Dr.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
I am also in Florida and seeking a HR doc in the area I have heard there is one in Celebration, south Orlando area but have not confirmed the specifics of his resurfacings, name is Dr. David Dore.  If any info please feel free to contact me.

I was told by a long standing Orlando area ortho to do the THR.......but my hesitation is that I am a career firefighter and want to go back to the job I love very much, the traditional THR Ortho has implied very coldly I might not be able to stay in my job......I am completely lost ........please help........I am 40 y/o and have three kids and still need to work, but the pain is starting to affect my gait and endurance and my limp is being noticed by coworkers I am using my days off to rest before next tour of duty.

I can also travel to any southeast region as long as healthcare supports, I will be looking into that soon, I was under the assumption that it would.  I did not realized resurfacings were SO new.

R side BHR by Dr. David Dore at Celebration Hospital

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
Try Dr. Raterman, I believe he is in Tampa and last I heard he had done over 250 so he must be over 300 by now.  But if you are AVN if you want the best in the world for AVN cases, then you should really consider Dr. Bose in India.  I know it sounds far fetched, but I was 48 single and traveled alone to India for my surgery.  I stayed in the hospital for a week post op which is their standard protocol then went to a five star beach resort to recuperate afterwards.  I paid out of pocket and the whole trip can cost you between $10k and $12k all inclusive.  That was airfare, medical, everything.  Dr. Vijay Bose is THE most experienced in the world for AVN cases and has resurfaced probably close to 450 AVN cases now.  He has done over 1300 total resurfacings but more AVN cases than any other surgeon in the world.  For a really top notch surgeon in the U.S., I would also look into Dr. Su at HSS in NYC. 

For the firefighter, it is crucial that you go to an excellent surgeon that takes care in sewing back every muscle and tendon.  I would definitely look into the two doctors I mention above.  Vicky

Vicky
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:15:41 PM by Pat Walter »

xocy

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »
I just had both hips resurfaced by Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC. There is a lot of info about him on this web site and at www.grossortho.com. You will be hard pressed to find a more experienced OS in the South.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »
If you send Lee Webb (Dr. Gross' assistant) an email she will answer all your questions promptly..

My stay was only 2 days but I was considered Local. ( 3hrs drive)  I think Dr. G does his out of state pts on Wednesday and then you are discharged on a Friday.

My first appt. was in May and I scheduled my procedure for end of June. I could have gotten in sooner but was too nervous.

Mike(my bud)sent you the link so go check it out. There is alot of info. even a video of Dr.G preforming the surgery.

I am 3 weeks post-op and feel great. No Joint Pain whatsoever.

Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

dunnfla123

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »
Hello again all, and thanks for the replies/info. To 'firehip', don't despair. I have waited 3 yrs (first o.s. said wait as long as possible), the last 2 years
  have been for the procedure (devices) to get FDA approval then for the U.S. drs. to 'practice' on the first several hundred plus patients. I decided the limping/pain had reached my limit. I just started contacting drs. last week via email with a 'detailed' list of questions. They are Raterman/Tampa, Fowble/P.B.Gardens, Fl., Mont/Blt. MD., Gross/S.C., Clarke/Syracuse. Three answered immediately and one called to say the Dr. was on vacation. Great response and concise answers to my questions. There appears (from my very limited knowledge on the subject, mostly via this site/internet), that these are all part of a top 10 list for the "east coast area". Obviously Wu and others are all part of/leaders of this elite group. I will pull the trigger on which Dr. to choose in a week or two.... Thanks Vicky for the tip on choosing one that has vast AVN experience, though it won't be overseas. Will be back on this site a few times a week, thanks all. Firehip, keep me informed in your search and I will do the same. Thanks all, Rusty.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
Hi dunnfla123

I just wanted to welcome you to Hip Talk.

I see you have contacted some of the best hip resurfacing surgeons on the list.  I can't add anything else to that except to listen to each one and choose the one you feel the best about.

You have to make the final decision and be comfortable with it.

I wish you the best of luck.  Hopefully, you will be out of pain soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DMCCREIGHT

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:30:52 PM »
Hello!!

I am living in Naples and am also looking for a bhr surgeon.  I was told that Dr. Solarski did them but just recently went into the area where it lists the surgeons by state and his name was not on the site anymore??  I can also confirm that Dr. Raterman in Tampa has done over 250 as well but have not called as yet.  Let me know who you end up selecting. 

thanks,
deb

Rascal

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
DunnFla123,

I'm in Fort Myers FL, I also waited three+ years for resurfacing to be approved. I'm 65 with good bone density and have been told (Dr Kennedy) that I'm a good candidate.

I made the 100+/- trip in Jan/2008 to Sarasota to talk with Dr Kennedy. Although I asked via phone, but was not offered any information by his staff concerning resurfacing possibility. Dr. Kennedy is the big cheese there and is verbally very pro BHR. After Xrays and bone density tests he said I looked very good for BHR...But, he no longer did them due to insurance problems! And, Dr Stolarski also no longer did them! (bummer).  He refereed me to a (younger) associate that he claimed did resurfacing in his office/employ. I had to make another 100+/- trip a month later to see this doctor (can't remember name?).

At this second trip to Sarasota, I was told by the doctor that although he had been trained in BHR and he had done 15 of them...he didn't believe in them. He also said I was a good candidate and if I REALLY wanted a BHR, there was a 95% chance that pending opining me up, he would do a BHR on me. (Here's the kicker)...but it would be his "call" at the time for a possible THR!!! I thanked him and the door did not hit me in the butt getting out of there.

Kind Regards,

JS

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »
Hi Rascal,

I'm sorry you got the royal run around. Have you checked out Dr Raterman in Tampa? I've heard great things about him.

spencer

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »
Yes, Dr. Raterman is supposed to be excellent, I highly recommend him for a local doctor in Florida.

Vicky

dunnfla123

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »
Sorry to all for not posting here sooner. I had BHR with Dr. Raterman on 11/24/08 and it's been 5 weeks now and was a resounding success. I highly reccomend him and his team. Good luck to all.

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear