+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2.5 weeks out, any last minute advice?  (Read 33627 times)

ecchastang

Re: Received badly placed THR instead of BHR
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:36 PM »
I think the 54mm femoral "ball" is correct. If the outside diameter of the acetabular cup is 62mm, with a thickness of 3mm, then the interior diameter of the cup would be 56mm (62 - 6 = 56). Typically, the femoral ball is 2mm smaller than the interior diameter of the cup, to allow 1mm of clearance on each side. So, a 54mm ball would be typical for a cup with an interior diameter of 56mm.

1mm sounds a lot of clearance. I think the clearance is somewhat less than that, my understanding is it changes from size to size but the studies ive seen by McMinn and Treacy showed the best clearance was in the 150-200 micron range.
That is my understanding as well.  1mm clearance is FAR too much.
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

chuckm

Re: Received badly placed THR instead of BHR
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »
My mistake on the cup thickness. It is about 3mm for the 60mm cup and about 4mm for the 62.
Both cups match up with the 54mm femoral component. While the femoral component is 54mm and round, the cup is a fraction larger than the matching head to allow for the fluid film space. And the cup is not perfectly round like the femoral component, it flares out so there is some space for movement but as Danny says that space is very small.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

surfhippy

Re: My 9 day post op hip resurfacing with Dr Gross
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
Hi Dumpf, Glad to see other surfers on here. The guy next to me in pre-op was also a surfer. Where do you live where it's almost ski season? I'm now 2 weeks post op today, and have been doing pretty good. I started with a cane after 1 week and feel as if I could lose it soon. I'm getting around with it, but don't need it all the time. It's painful the first few steps but eases after a few strides. There are some good surf specific exercises that may help you along with getting up. Just search on youtube or google surf fitness. I'm in pretty good shape with good bone density, and hoping it helps with my rehab. Surfing and mountain biking are my life as far as fitness goes, and can't wait to get back to them. When I'm able, I'm targeting a very fit future with a lot of rehab, then strengthening exercises with an emphasis on flexibility. Keep posting and let me know how the surfing is going.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

shabbis

« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2015, 05:43:36 PM »
I was cleared by my Dr at 2 months and I was back in the water on a longboard the day after being cleared. I was a little tentative and mindful when up and riding trying to avoid critical sections, keep maneuvering to a minimum. Was just glad to be back out in the water. I originally thought I would have been out for at least 6 months.

I am at almost 5 months, still on my high performance longboard, although I did ride my 5'10" a couple times, it went ok, not ready for my shortboards yet.
11/25/2014 LBHR Dr Pritchett

surfhippy

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
Cleared after 2 months is amazing! I'm 2 weeks post op and started getting around without the cane for the first time today. My Dr. is firm on not releasing me for 6 months for surfing and mountain biking, and I'm 53, fit with great bone density. I believe it has to do with the Biomet uncemented device, and waiting until the bone grows into the pores of the device. Will be going out on my longboard to start off for sure.

dumph

« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
Hi Shabbis, interested to see you get back into the water and catching waves so quickly. Are you goofy or natural and which leg did you have the surgery? I think if I had my back leg operated on I would be surfing by now. I'm living in Dunedin, NZ which is actually one of the surf capitals of the world  :)
Been doing lots of yoga, having massage, acupuncture, walking, cycling, swimming plenty. Also started Pilates which has been quite amazing and I'm using this instead of going to physio which I lost faith in. The physio didn't really understand the surgery, the recovery prognosis and had lower expectations than I hold.
Yoga works on the large muscle groups but Pilates focuses on the smaller, inner core muscle groups that are harder to access but fairly critical for full recovery.

shabbis

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
I am regular foot and had my left hip resurfaced. Not sure I would have went out so soon if it was the right hip, I think. We'll see, I have to get the right done at some point as well.

11/25/2014 LBHR Dr Pritchett

surfhippy

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »
I'm now 3 week post op and easily walking a mile in the mornings. I've been taking Advil Pm to help me sleep, and it lets me get a decent nights' sleep and allows my leg to relax without a lot of tossing and turning to get comfy. I dumped the cane after 1 week of use (1 week on crutches, 1 week on cane), and don't even take it with me anymore. Other than surgery pain, which is now minimal, I'm experiencing muscle pain at the attachment point up front, which feels like a nerve pinch. I'm sure this can be worked out with proper stretching, and therapy. I will have to wait for my 6 week follow up to see what I can do about this. My follow up was actually scheduled 5 weeks post op, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the doctor and team to see what I can do. Not looking forward to the 10-11 hours on the road that day, especially since South Carolina has the worse roads in the US highway system, with two lanes on I-95, and I-26. lol. It's been difficult to watch the surf and know I can't be out in it until October. Counting down the days...

dumph

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2015, 05:59:58 AM »
Keep up the good progress Surfhippy. I think simply walking lots is probably the best rehab you can do. Hope you're in the surf before you know it. Have you thought about going out on a bodyboard or bodysurfing a few waves in the meantime?

ecchastang

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
IF you are taking the meloxicam that Dr. Gross prescribes, you are not supposed to be taking advil. 
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

Miguelito

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2015, 09:37:11 AM »
Just wanted to point out that going back for the six week follow-up is not really a requirement for out of state patients. I did not either time. I am sure they would love to see you, of course.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

surfhippy

« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2015, 01:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the replys and encouragement! Ecchastang, I have been off the meds for over a week. The antii inflammatory meds took a toll on my stomach so I quit them a few days early. Dumph, I have thought of bodysurfing, bodyboarding, and if the doc allows, I'll be out there in a heartbeat. I also thought about getting an SUP to get me on the water for some exercise. Mike, I just may have to forgo the trip if I can. I will contact them and see if we can work something out for my next phase of rehab.

Mark

Miguelito

« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2015, 01:49:19 PM »
After my first surgery I was all gung-ho to return for six weeks and show off how good I was doing. But I delayed booking a flight until a week or two before and the cost was outrageous so I called Dr. Gross's office to apologize and say I couldn't make it and I was a little surprised (shouldn't have been, though) that they didn't seem at all put-out, and it was pretty clear that many (most?) out of state patients do not return for the six-week, or one year, two year, etc. They are going to want you to do three things for six weeks, though; see a Physical Therapist for an evaluation, get an x-ray, and fill out a questionnaire; Dr. Gross is very serious about tracking his results.

They know almost every surgery (knock on wood) goes without any real complications, so they understand if out of state patients do not return.

You weren't bilateral, right? If you had FAI (anecdotally, generally bilateral) you are gonna be back for the other hip in a few years anyway, like I was.

Take care,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

surfhippy

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
I'm now 4 weeks post op and feel pretty good. Easily logging a mile on my walks when I walk in the morning. was back at work on week 3, but I'm a picture framer/photographic artist, and have to stand a good bit of my day. Was able to work 31 hours last week and hope to get close to 40 this week.  Usually sore at the end of the day, with tightness at attachment point of the upper quad. With advil, this calms down over night. I opted not to travel for my 6 week post op, and am waiting on my new workout directions in the mail. I will travel 6 month post op, because I will be released, and there is a great mountain bike trail system just a little over an hour away from the doc's office. Will camp for a few days and get some riding in. It's killing me not to surf, as we had real good waves over the weekend, and have surf all week long. I just go down to the beach, walk, stand in the water, watch my friends, and lounge in my beach chair. As soon as the swell drops, I'm going in the ocean!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:42:33 PM by surfhippy »

John C

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2015, 02:00:44 AM »
Please check with Dr Gross before planning your visit to the mountain bike trails. He is usually very adamant about no biking outdoors for the first six months. Indoor stationary bikes are fine. Obviously you can choose the risks that you are comfortable with, but it might be wise to get his input as to the severity and consequences of those risks before committing to the biking plans.
Glad to hear that you are doing so well, but remember that your bones around the joint are "remodeling" right now, and will continue to get weaker out to around three months, before starting to get stronger again. It is my understanding that your bones, particularly at the femoral neck, are actually weaker right now than they were the day after surgery, since they are in the process of breaking down as they "remodel" along new stress lines. The great news after a resurfacing, as opposed to a total hip, is that studies show that eventually the bones around your new hip are often 110% the strength of a normal hip; great stuff. But not yet.
Please check with Dr Gross on this since he is the expert, and I am just trying to pass on my limited understanding of the process as he explained it to me when I wanted to include more activities between 6 weeks and 6 months. He was extremely strict with me on this sort of thing, and it worked.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2015, 08:13:56 AM »
I second what John C said. I think the restriction on not riding a real bike until the 6 month mark is to avoid the risk of falling off and damaging the bone around the implant which is still rebuilding. Definitely check with Dr. Gross' staff.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

MPH

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
My surgeon warned about stress fractures from those of us who are lucky to have the accelerated healing. He was adamant that stress fractures occur from overuse of weakened or damaged muscles when the bone takes more stress. Until that 6 month mark he advised huge caution with time limits on repetitive motion exercise and impact i.e. running. I am taking his advice even though I feel perfectly normal after 15 weeks. Just sharing...... :)
RBHR 13th Jan 2015 Andrew Shimmin, Melbourne AUS. 52mm head/58mm cup.

einreb

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »
I second what John C said. I think the restriction on not riding a real bike until the 6 month mark is to avoid the risk of falling off and damaging the bone around the implant which is still rebuilding. Definitely check with Dr. Gross' staff.

Yep.  Bone is apparently weakest at around the 3 month mark.

I held off until about 5 months before doing some easy road riding.  At  6 months I cut loose.

Its really just an actuarial gamble.  i.e. what are the odds that you are going to take a fall?  Well, the odds will be a bit higher than normal.  All sorts of little stabilizer muscles coming back online, etc.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

surfhippy

« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
Thanks guys. That was a typo. I'm traveling for my 6 month, not week, and won't be riding before then. I'm feeling good but not that good. I did go for a mellow dip in the ocean for the first time today, which felt nice. We have had good surf for the last couple of days, and I was just waiting for the swell to drop.

John C

« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
Funny that it was just a typo. Well, at least you now know that there are lots of people on this forum paying attention and looking out for everyone's best interest.
Enjoy your mountain bike trip.
Isn't it great to get back in the ocean. I was in the pool everyday for the first five months. I stayed out of the surf for six months, except for the one time at about three months when our 18 year old nephew was visiting us here in Hawaii, and got pulled out to sea by a 35 mph offshore wind while surfing. I had to borrow a longboard and paddle a quarter of a mile offshore to catch him and drag him back in on the end of my leash. Felt good to have a paddling workout, but I had to waste a perfectly good wave on the way back in by just proning out so as not to break doctors orders.http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/Smileys/default/cry.gif
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM