+-

Author Topic: Received badly placed THR instead of BHR  (Read 23447 times)

mari

Re: 7 yr bilateral anniversary!
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
Congratulations on your anniversary!  I remember your name.  You were one of the persons I followed on this site when I was considering a hip resurfacing.  I just celebrated my 6th anniversary in February, all because of Pat hosting this site and people like you who posted their experiences.  Thank you all!
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

wayne-0

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2015, 12:43:42 AM »
Good to hear Dirk all is well. I too remember reading your posts as I was just 6 months behind you with my  bi-lat surgery. I am in similar circumstances as you being that I had the same doctor (Dr. Ball) who I believe to be an amazing doc, and that I have the ASR implants as well. Just wanted to check in and tell you, and everyone else, that I am doing great still with no problems whatsoever, and no limitations at all. Dr. Ball placed our implants at the correct angles and I believe that makes this surgery successful for us. Here's to many more great years ahead.
BTW I might come down to SD and try to put one in the back of the net against you. Ha Ha Ha
Go Ducks Go

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
Hi Dirk

Congratulations.  Thanks for stopping by to give us an update.  Great to hear back from folks with those older hip resurfacings.

Just a note to new people that not all ASRs have gone bad or needed a revision.  Most devices did well when they were placed very carefully at the proper angles. 

I hope you have another 7 years with your ASRs.  Enjoy.  The reason we all get our hips fixed is to be able to get back to an active, pain free life.  That includes moving on and not dwelling on our repaired hips because once they are healed, we seldom think about them.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
Congrats and good luck Dirk!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Kick Man

Re: Are their new surgeons developing this surgery?
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2015, 10:21:40 PM »
This is an interesting conversation, I selected a surgeon with a little over one hundred resurfacings under his belt and have had excellent results. However, he has been performing total hips for decades which may have some bearing on his skill level. The stats support finding a surgeon with hundreds of BHR's performed but looking at the difference in failure rate between one hundred and one thousand appears to be low risk for selecting the less experienced surgeon - that's just my opinion as I am a bit of a risk taker anyway. Some people have very few options and need to evaluate the cost benefit.

DirkV

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2015, 05:12:41 AM »
I've always felt that this site is a good community. It was a great help to me, and I'm glad if I can help pay some of that back.
Mari, congrats on your successful 6 yrs. And Wayne, great to hear another good performing ASR from Dr. Ball. I followed your story back in the day, and it seemed to be a straightforward good outcome. I live in AZ, so don't look for me in a hockey game in San Diego. I know a couple groups that go to that Snoopy Old Timers Tournament up your way. Maybe some year.
Pat, thanks for the good wishes, and congrats to you on 9 yrs!
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Leela3325

Has this happenend to anyone??
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »
I have been having left hip pain for over a year...got the diagnosis of osteoarthritis and am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Brooks for June 19.  In the 6 months since, my right leg is now more painful than the left.  I was wondering is this because I am favoring my left leg?  Should I have Dr. Books look at it as see if I should have the right hip done first? Has this happened to anyone else?  How do you deal with the pain in your supposedly good leg when you are recovering from the surgery on your bad leg? Any advise is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Lisa

ecchastang

Re: Has this happenend to anyone??
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »
You should definitely have it looked at well before surgery, just in case you need to do bilateral. 
Apr 8th, 2015 Biomet U/C Dr. Gross

Leela3325

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »
Unfortunately, Dr. Brooks does not do bilateral HR's. It is one at a time with him.

hernanu

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
Hi Lisa, I had both diagnosed as needing to be done.

My left was worse, so that went first. My surgeon doesn't do simultaneous bilateral, so the right went three months later.

It was not a happy time for the right, especially since the left felt so good that at the end of three months, the right was being pushed heavily.

It worked for me, since I was able to rehab the left so that the left supported the right. It seems like forever to wait for the second, but now seems like a blip.

It was actually good for me mentally to have both scheduled and set.

Good luck.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jss

Re: 3 years post BHR from Dr Gross
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »
royash, thanks for the update and for the encouragement.  I'm three months post-op with Dr Gross and currently suffering through as bad a case of cabin fever that I've ever had.  It's encouraging to hear about someone else that's back out there 'doing it' after a successful resurfacing.  Three months down and three to go!
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

timosborne

gluteal atrophy 10 months post surgery??
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
Hi-
I am 10 months out from my second replacement.  The recovery has been outstanding so far, much faster than first one.  A big difference this time is numbness at the incision site and about 1/2 outside of leg that was noticeable right after surgery and about half of numb area has resolved but numbness remains around the gluteal area.  I have exercised very consistently and with high intensity including biking, elliptical, and jogging once a week for 40 minutes now. 
Over the last few weeks, I have noticed significant atrophy of my rump on the surgery side where the numbness remains.  There is no loss in apparent strength but I am worried about this.  I have read that high metal ions could cause an inflammatory response that might damage muscle but WTF?
My metal ion levels were measured a few months ago and I did not get a call back indicating no abnormal levels??
I have a call in to see my surgeon but any info from the group here would be very welcome. 
Thanks
Tim
LBHR 9-4-2013 58mm/52mm
RBHR 6-23-2014 58/52

Dannywayoflife

Re: gluteal atrophy 10 months post surgery??
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
Tim if I were you I would speak to your surgeon. It sounds possibly like you have some nerve damage?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

ecchastang

Extremely tight quad post surgery
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »
Dr. Gross did my resurfacing 4 days ago, and in the process lengthened my leg 1.6 cm.  Now when I try to stand up straight, it feels extremely tight on my quad and hip flexors.  I suspect it is from the leg lengthening.  Even laying down, I can't lay flat on my back with my operated leg flat due to tightness. 

Did anyone else experience this post surgery, especially if your leg was lengthened?  How long did it last?

fenceman

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »
Dr. Brooks did my LBR just under 7 years ago.  When I went in for my X-rays just before surgery he said "that Right hip does look bad"  which I thought was strange because it was the Left one that hurt.  After checking his notes he commented that I would be back for the Right hip at some point. I was able to make it 4-1/2 years before it was time to have the Right hip done. 

You should definitely contact him or Phil and let him know the situation.  They may need to schedule a second if you will need both done. It seems that whenever we favor one leg due to pain, it puts a lot on unnatural wear and tear on the other legs hip and knee.   
Good luck!
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

surfhippy

My 9 day post op hip resurfacing with Dr Gross
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2015, 12:42:22 PM »
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my experience. I had outpatient surgery with Dr Gross on April 6Th. First of all, I was very nervous as I am 53 years old and having this done, but after 8 years of some intense pain, I was ready. After reading a good bit of posts, I realize there are a lot of people younger than me having this done. After meeting Dr Gross and his team sent my worries running away. My surgery went well, and everyone was great. I was out before they even wheeled me back to the or. I woke up in post op, it seemed like just minutes after I went in, although it was hours later. I started to get an appetite, we were served a light lunch, and they were bringing out the gatoraide to get me hydrated. My surgery was at 10 am, and I was able to relieve myself and was leaving around 5:30 pm. When Dr gross came to the hotel the next morning, I saw him in the hallway, as I was taking my first walk. He was happy to see me up and about and following his instructions. He checked me out, released me, and we drove back to Florida. Pretty amazing for the procedure involved. My first 2 days back home were a bit rough, but expected. I took my long term narcotics for 5 days and nights, but was able to ween myself off the oxycodone by day 4. I hate feeling drugged up, and although I had to deal with a bit more pain, overall, I felt better. Sleep has been the hardest thing to accomplish, but It's coming along. Each day I am amazed at how much better I am doing. Day 7, the bandages were taken off, and things looked good with no drainage, and almost completely healed up.  Day 8, I transferred to a cane. Went down to the beach and walked a bit. Luckily I have a great oceanfront park, that allows a lot of walking options. Last night was a little rough as I felt pretty sore from the transition to the cane. My walks have been good, and I'm progressing nicely. I have now driven 3 times. A couple down to the beach, and 1 to drop off my taxes, do some grocery shopping, and to shop for a cane. The only pain meds are the Tylenol. Other than surgery pain, I'm experiencing a little muscle pain up front at the attachment point. This subsides overnight, and feels good in the morning. I realize I have a long road ahead of me, But am pleased with the progress I have achieved. Reading posts has given me a realistic view and timeline for my expectations.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

ecchastang

Re: My 9 day post op hip resurfacing with Dr Gross
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
Congrats on the surgery.  I had my surgery (inpatient) Apr 8th so I am 2 days behind you.  You were given oxycodone instead of Nucynta? 

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »
Thanks for your update.  I'm glad that things are going well for you.  I think this is the first report I've read from someone who had outpatient resurfacing by Dr. Gross.  I had my pre-surgery exam yesterday and will have surgery on 4/29.  They said I have the bones of a 25 year old although I just turned 67.  I don't think Dr. Gross has an age limit as long as bone density is good.  I also had a question about oxycodone since he gives Nucynta to just about everyone these days--not than there's a whole lot of difference.  Drop by more often and keep us informed.
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

MattJersey

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2015, 05:29:23 PM »
Good stuff, surf hippy. Hopefully progress will continue as smooth ahead.

I'm due 28/04, will be 45 and recently have wished I was older!, in patient with Mr McMinn. Scared but your story, like so many, is encouraging and also realistic. I expect pain, and I hope it is minimal but it's an investment is how I see it. Pay dividends a few weeks later ...

Driving at day 9, wow. What hip, what car, presumably an automatic gear shift ...

Keep up the good progress. Best wishes.

Matt
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

surfhippy

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »
I was prescribed Nucynta for long term and oxycodone for short term pain. I actually drove 5 days post op, just for a few miles. I have a big suv and it an automatic. It is my right hip, and I just brake with the left leg. I also have great bone density, so recovery should be easier since I've been full weight on the leg post surgery. I'm still targeting 6 months post op for anything crazy like surfing or mountain biking. Staying on top of the rehab! Advil works best for me but it seems I read where it wasn't a good mix for hip recovery. Maybe I just dreamed it. If I could take a couple of Advil PMs, I could get a good nights rest.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: 5 years of BHR... by Pat Walter
Yesterday at 07:58:54 PM

Re: Psoas Tendonitis improvement by jimbone
November 18, 2019, 04:42:40 PM

5 years of BHR... by petemeads
November 18, 2019, 04:30:57 PM

Re: Psoas Tendonitis improvement by Jerryt
November 18, 2019, 09:30:43 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear