+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Byrd for Hip Arthroscopy  (Read 6137 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Dr. Byrd for Hip Arthroscopy
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
Just wanted you to know that I am scheduled for hip arthroscopy on Aug 4.  Thomas Byrd, OS in Nashville will do the surgery.  He is probably the most experienced OS in the US with this surgery

http://nsmoc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=77

Craig Morrison is the OS who referred me to him.  His group is suppose to do more hip replacement than any other group in the Southeast.  They support hip resurfacing as the first choice of hip replacements.  I know Dr. Morrison is the choice of a number of athletes in the area.

http://www.sjri.com/

I felt very comfortable when he referred me to Dr. Byrd because he thought that I should check this option before hip replacement.  Dr Byrd feels that arthroscopy will definitely delay hip replacement and perhaps make it unnecessary. 

I was just curious to see if anyone has had any experience with either of these OS.  I have been tremendously impressed with both.

Thanks for your post and support.  After the surgery I hope I can be an encouragment to others.  I know there are not many OS that do hip arthroscopy but I am looking forward to it.  After all what do I have to loose? I have had a number of arthroscopic surgeries and felt like new after all of them.

Louann

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

FutureHippy

Re: Dr. Byrd for Hip Arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
Sorry to bring this from the deads but:

Can you please share why you went for Arthroscopy? Was it after your Hip Resurfacing? If so why did you need it? I read a lot about him and yes he seems great. My doctor suggested that I have arthroscopy (debridement) to get rid of some OA but from what I can read, this doesn't really help that much and OA comes back pretty quick.

Also you said that you felt like new after each surgery. Can you explain what was done and how long it took before issues came back?

I'd expect that a hip resurfacing would ensure one would not need other surgeries, unless the device needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
Hi

I am sorry to confuse you, but I only posted the information for Louann.  She was not able to figure out how to make a post.  She was reading it waiting for replies, but none came.

I don't know how things turned out for her since she never wrote back.  Maybe I should just delete the post since it is confusing.

I had a hip resurfacing in 2006 with Dr. De Smet of Belgium.  Many people that have arthroscopies still end up having hip resurfacings.  Many of them don't solve the problems and often they have to be non-weight bearing for a long time.  So most people just go ahead and have a hip resurfacing - according to the thousands of stories I have read since I started my website in 2005.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

macorthores

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
hip arthroscopy for OA really will only probably give you a couple of years a possible pain relief. significant OA of the hip cannot be helped by a scope.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat