+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 Months on from Bi-lat  (Read 1317 times)

Daytona Dave

7 Months on from Bi-lat
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:03:33 PM »
So its been 7 months since my Left HR and 6 Years since my Right HR.
And I have not run for at least seven years, mainly because after making a good recovery from my first op I started to slowly suffer in my other hip.
But last week I ran  my first 5k run. Very slow and was hurting by the end of it, but felt fantastic all the same. Funny thing is it was the older hip playing up. I am putting it down to tight hip flexors or something ( backed up by my physio).
In addition to this and to put the icing on the cake I finally returned to skydiving with a couple of jumps last Sunday.

Life is good  :)

shoraztri

Re: 7 Months on from Bi-lat
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »
HI Daytona Dave.
Great to see you back at having a wee trot. I guess after a very long lay-off , you will be a little sore, - muscular wise- as the body would not be used to it . Im sure that as you ease back into running , that everything will settle down well.  ;)
Is a big achievement to be back skydiving !!, all the best here and happy soft landings .  :)
Cheers.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

livendive

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »
That's awesome, congrats Dave!

I'm now at 17 weeks since right hip and 9 weeks since left hip + C5-C6 fusion, and making progress each week but still fighting some IT band & illiopsoas issues.  I started cycling again a few weeks ago and have managed 30 km a few times without any problem.  For the 8 week anniversary of my left hip I tried longer walking, went 3 km but was sore and limping pretty hard by the end, and for a few days after, so I dialed it back.  This week I've done 2 km a few times and that's been better, so I'm going to repeat next week, then try to ramp up again.  I've booked myself for a 10k in September, hoping to be able to run it, but will walk if necessary...I'm telling my wife and daughter I want a pair of Hoka One One shoes for Father's Day.  :D 

July will by my 20 year anniversary in skydiving, and I'm hoping to make a simple hop & pop to commemorate the occasion, but only if neck feels solid and hips are prepared to run or slide out a landing, as it's usually pretty hot here in the summer and no-wind landings are fast and tough to shut down.

Blue skies,
Dave
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

Daytona Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
Thanks shoraztri .
And livendive, sounds like u gotta do the anniversary jump.  U will be about 6-7 months post op by September. My surgeon advised 6 months before skydiving.
For what its worth. a few days on and no adverse effects. Slight soreness on both inner thighs but I put this down to rented gear I was using as I sold my kit last year. Rented kit is never the same as your own. Good luck mate. :-)
 Oh and for what its worth, 11 months since last jump,...... like riding a bike! But u are more experienced so u will already know that :-)

jss

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »
Dave congratulations on slowly returning to your old life!  I'm four months post-op, and while I don't jump out of properly functioning airplanes, I'm slowly bleeding back in my old activities as I'm able.  Good luck with the continuing recovery.
Biomet resurfacing with Dr Gross, Jan 2015

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat