+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Most Common Location(s) of Pain During First Six Weeks  (Read 3140 times)

Comfortably Numb

Most Common Location(s) of Pain During First Six Weeks
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
I've been very lucky in that my pain levels beyond day 2 post-op have not required any analgesics other than Mobic.    I have, however, experienced pain from the very beginning that is mostly localized in two areas:  the area surrounding the incision and the inner thigh/groin (imagine the pain associated with trying to do an extended leg lift which, of course, I don't do).  The groin pain is particularly bothersome from a psychological standpoint since my primary reason for having the surgery was to relieve preexisting groin pain.  It is most noticeable after standing up from a seated position and taking a couple of steps.  Also, the heel slide exercises sometimes cause groin pain.  I'm wondering how common this is or if most of you experienced pain in entirely different areas during the first 6 weeks. 
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

chuckm

Re: Most Common Location(s) of Pain During First Six Weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »
Hey Comfortably Numb - it sounds like you are describing the same discomforts that every resurfacing patient experiences. The groin pain is the psoas tendon running along side the new hip device. It takes some time for it to heal in that area. Be patient. My surgeon told me I would have that discomfort and told me to take one ibuprofen every morning to help.
The side of the hip around the incision can be sore for awhile too. The surgeon had to split the facia lata which is a tough band of tissue. I remember the foam roller solved that one. Rolling on the incision was uncomfortable at first but it became easy quickly.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:15:17 PM »
Thanks Chuck.  I knew the groin is an area where a small percentage of resurfacing patients have problems long after surgery due to improper cup placement, but I didn't know how common groin pain was in the first few weeks.  My arthritic pain prior to surgery was only in the groin area.  The psoas pain seems to be in the same area, but it has more of a tight muscle feel with occasional spasms when I tweek it. I think I'm just keyed into that area from past experience but in reality the pain type is different.
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

Jake

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:20:28 PM »
I am 7 weeks now and had groin pain for the first 4 weeks.  It has since disappeared, thankfully. 

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 03:30:35 AM »
I have pain around my knee, kind of general ache which I expect to pass in time. No major issue.

And whilst I generally don't feel the groin pain, if I palpate my inner thigh it is very tender indeed and I wish I hadn't. I figure it is responsible for my knee pain too. Looking at image of these muscles and reflecting on how your hip is manipulated during op it is no surprise and it could take four plus weeks to settle, like a serious ankle sprain would.

I am now, day 18, down to one cocodamol tablet at bedtime (tonight I will go without I think).

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:32:04 AM by MattJersey »
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »
 :) Hi, yep same issue but symptoms abating. Right leg absolutely no issue (the bad leg) Left leg as you describe. 4 weeks post now. Should come right be optimistic. Kind Regards K
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:16:55 PM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

MattJersey

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 05:26:55 AM »
It'll be six weeks on Tuesday, in two days time.

Pain around knee has gone, and the inner groin pain, all my adductor pain, has improved significantly, now only if I palpate right at the top I find it uncomfortable. So it is progressing.

My main sources of discomfort at the moment are:

Did a lot of cycling yesterday, maybe three miles (a lot, relatively speaking) and my incision is a bit tender along its length.

Since Thursday last, the "breakthrough" that I hadn't expected arrived. Like overnight my pain levels somehow breached into "not really uncomfortable anymore" territory. Still feel it, but just felt like the crutch was totally unnecessary. No difference between using and not, until tired. Still carrying it or a hiking pole (took it with me on bike yesterday).

Pain, or discomfort, is in butt muscles, and I can feel it is a "weakness" rather than "damaged" type of soreness. And top of outer thigh bone, like it is still bruised a little.

Getting "six week" X-ray done a week tomorrow, and hope to get all clear to drop the crutches, start swimming and "do what feels ok". We will see.

Still worry a bit, especially when I see the less positive stories on here. But, take lots of heart from all the positives, and supportive and wise comments from all the experienced hippies. I am gradually learning to stop worrying and start living, but probably won't properly get there until I'm back swinging the golf clubs again.

Cheers all.

petemeads

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:02:13 AM »
Great to hear Matt, things will get much better very quickly now. I did most of my worrying between the surgeon saying OK for the op and the anesthetist giving me the spinal - since then it has been a journey of wonderment at just how well things improve and how much I can do already. There are still sensations around the incision, numbness along the scar, tightness in the muscle scar tissue etc and the odd clunk, but what the heck I can ride, climb and run as well as I could expect to at my age even without hip problems - basically I am back to normal and all within 7 months. Admittedly my surgeon used a lateral incision rather than McMinn's version, which may make a difference, and has certainly left me with a pretty long scar, otherwise we should be the similar.

Bad news to hear that NICE seem to have frightened Smith & Nephew out of the female/smaller males sector - most of us would accept 90% if we could not get 95% success - I wonder how much of their decision was based on expert surgeon recommendation and how much on legal advice?
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
I'm right behind you, Matt.  My 6 weeks arrives this Wednesday.  All things considered, my recovery has been amazing.  I've been walking 1.5 miles per day since week two with no crutch, cane, or limp.  Today, I increased my distance to two miles and hope to maintain that for awhile.

The location of my pain is pretty much the same as when I started this thread.  Top center of thigh extending into the groin area.  I find it to be the worst when I've been sitting around the house and then get up to walk.  The first couple of steps are painful in a sharp kind of way.  I have noticed, however, that I feel the least pain of all during a long walk.  I guess that's because things eventually loosen up.

My wife and I went to see Earth, Wind, and Fire Friday night and it was awesome.  When I purchased the tickets three months ago, I had images of going to the concert on crutches, or a cane--or maybe not at all.  I will say that I was challenged a bit getting up and down a lot, dancing in the aisles, climbing stairs, going to the jon, bar, etc., but I didn't suffer any ill effects 8)

I'm looking forward to beginning Dr. Gross' Phase 2 exercises.  I imagine that there will be some pain associated with these, especially in my groin area.  I'll be coming back to ask the more experienced hippies how far one should push the pain during PT.  I've already seen some say don't do it if it hurts.  I've found that most of this hurts, so I'll be looking to better define exactly what that means.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:58:38 AM by Comfortably Numb »
30 degree angle

MattJersey

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
Oh my gosh, big news!

Today, first time in  over 15 years ... I cut the big toenail of my right foot ... with my right hand, from outside of my right leg! Whoop whoop!!

Snowbound

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 08:31:11 AM »
I had both hips done at the same time and it's interesting to compare the recovery between the two. On the surface, the right incision healed faster. Pain subsided sooner and numbness of the thigh receded faster. The right hip is still numb but just around the incision, while on the left side it extends down close to the knee.

Internally the left hip has been great right from the surgery, but the inner right hip had persistent pain. It originated at the top of the adductor and radiated down to the knee and sometimes to the inner hamstring and lower glutes. It was worse when I first stood up from sitting and I would limp the first couple of steps before it loosened up. Over time the pain lessened but it was gradual and it wasn't until the 4 month mark that I considered it completely gone. My surgeon said this type of pain is a normal part of the recovery.

karlos.bell

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
 :) First walk in 8 years that I can do without straps and crutches 2 km with my dog Lu. My bilat was 6 weeks ago. Comfort Numb it should get better be patient and be positive it is only early.  Try some Glut min exercises see what happens. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz