+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral operation July 2015  (Read 13515 times)

Paul_D

Bilateral operation July 2015
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:05:07 AM »
Hello All,

This is my first post and I am scheduled for bilateral hip resurfacing by Dr. Bose in July this year.

I am nervous as hell as I have never spent time in hospital let alone an operation of such calibre. I am scared of the general anaesthetic the most and how I will feel when (if) I wake up.

My background is that I am a 44 year old male that has had quite an active earlier life. I played basketball in my younger years and also to some degree gymnastics although not so good at it. I played golf, football, cricket, skiing and surfing. My flexibility has been always quite rigid and at the age of 34 I was told that I had early onsets of OA. This was from a chiropractor that I had once seen because of a sore lower back problem. He insisted that I get an xray on my hips and he called me the following day with this news. Basically he said in 10 years that I will need total hip replacement and he was 100% correct to the year.

In the years following this announcement my hips did become more stiffer up and til today I now have great difficulty tieing up my shoelaces, picking things off the ground and walking more than 500m without pain. If I sit for 5 or 10 minutes I can then continue some more. My quality of life has suffered as I avoid any activity that requires walking. I am lucky that my job is office based and I can sit in the luxury of my desk but there are times I should go to work sites which always put myself in awkward situations having to explain my condition.

I have chosen bilateral although my right hip is probably 1 to 2 years ahead of my left in OA stages. My thinking is to get it over and done with and rehabilitate both hips at the same time evenly. Due to my fear of operations I think I could only endure this once!

I aim to post my progress on this forum and I am looking to read about everyones experiences to hopefully get the confidence and support I need to be ready for this surgery. I am hoping to be able to return to some normal sporting activities by the end of the year but not sure if this is a tough ask. I will be happy just to be able to walk unlimited kilometres.

Regards,
Paul

L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

Snowbound

Re: Bilateral operation July 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
Paul, That sounds exactly like my story (except I'm 54). I had bilateral surgery at the end of January and it was the right decision. The hip pain is gone and I can now put on my socks while standing.

I could barely get my socks on and couldn't spend any time on my feet. I was very tight in the adductors, groin and hip flexors. My right hip was worse than my left. Prior to surgery I measured the spread I could get between my knees lying on my back with my feet together, it was 18". I'm now up to 23" and still improving. I doubt I'll ever sit cross legged again, but the results are very encouraging.

Doing both hips at the same time was the right choice for me. The early recovery is a little more difficult but you only have to to go through the surgery once and it cuts the rehab time in half. They had me walking the day after surgery and home after two nights. I did need to use crutches for 4 weeks per the doctors instructions. I could have walked without the crutches sooner, but I followed all of with doctor's instructions. I got the crutches that clamp on your forearm rather than the underarm crutches.

My right hip has been slower recovering. My left hip has been good from the start but on the right side I've had pain in the inner hip radiating down the adductor and sometimes the inner hamstring. It's been slowly improving and it's almost gone now. It could be from going to the gym every day that irritates it, or possible from sitting at a computer all day with work.

My hips and legs are still weaker than before but it's coming along slowly with exercise. I just returned from a scuba diving vacation in Roatan and had no problems at all. I'm looking forward to getting back to pain free hockey next winter and skiing.

The hardest part of doing them both at once was sleeping because you don't have a good side to lie on and I'm not a back sleeper. I setup the spare bed in the living room beside the recliner and alternated sleeping on them, and that helped alot. I found I could sleep on one for about 3 hours then I'd need to switch.

For the surgery, I avoided the anesthetic and just went with the spinal. I was given the choice of being put under, staying alert or something in between. I chose to stay alert because I was interested in the surgery, and I didn't like anesthetic from a past experience. They gave me the option to be put under at any time it I couldn't take it, but I found it fascinating. It's a little surreal to hear them grinding and hammering on your pelvis, but you don't feel any pain.

Good luck with the surgery.

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »
I have had my bilateral surgry January 2014. It was my best decision! You can read my story in "China Lady's Diary".
I understand, that most surgeons only make one side each time. Because I wanted to be through the recovery very fast, I asked Dr. Brockwell, Hongkong, if it is possible to do both sides in one go. He simply said: of course!
I could not walk "2 miles in week three", or whatever I read very often on this site. But it doesn't matter, in the end result I was faster.
My best wishes for your surgery! And try to stay patient with yourself.....
..... I will find out

Paul_D

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »
Thank you both for your replies and comforting thoughts. I have so many questions running through my head and I feel a forum such as this is the best to get answers from people that have been through this procedure.

I am thinking now about the before and after ROM that I will be able to achieve. If I take a measurement as you have done below I only get 13" which I guess is not good. I was in a resort last year in Spain and I could not even straddle a jetski so I guess I am quite a bad example. What ROM should I expect with this bilat BHR?

I know I will never be able to do the splits but would be nice now to imagine what life will be like.

China Lady

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Dont worry so much. I was in a very bad shape before surgery. I looked like a walrus when I mounted my BMW G650GS, even with the seat on low. Now it's absolute easy. I dont now the degrees or numbers, but everything is back again. Even better than years ago!
..... I will find out

Snowbound

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »
Paul, I don't know what kind of ROM one can expect from this surgery. I do know that now my adductors and hip flexors aren't so tight and painful I can work at stretching it out and it's slowly improving. It is slow going so you need to be patient.

Another place I've improved is on my back with one leg stretched out straight and bending the other leg up (like in a seated position). Before surgery I couldn't barely get to a 90deg position, and I had to pull my leg to do it. I can now get my knee about another 20deg closer to my chest.

I've been doing a yoga stretch class and that helps a lot. Some positions I can't get into very well, especially the hip openers, but it's improving. There's a position called child's pose that I couldn't come anywhere close to doing correctly before but I can now almost do.

When I was starting to get back into the gym I found my adductors were still feeling really tight so I went for a massage a few times (about 3 months after surgery) and that seemed to help.

You'll find that right after surgery you won't be able to lift your legs so someone will need to help you get them into bed, but every day they get a bit stronger. Walking wasn't too much a problem, I mostly went with the crutches and just used the walker a couple of times. The biggest issue with crutches is trying to carry a mug of coffee.

Snowbound

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »
Dont worry so much. I was in a very bad shape before surgery. I looked like a walrus when I mounted my BMW G650GS, even with the seat on low. Now it's absolute easy. I dont now the degrees or numbers, but everything is back again. Even better than years ago!
I was like that with my bicycle, I had to tilt it to the side to be able to get my leg over the seat. Now I can get on it like a "normal" person 8)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:02:11 AM by Snowbound »

karlos.bell

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
 :) Hi Paul I had mine done 29th April Belgium Dr De Smet.
Operations yes they are not the best things but if required so you can have a life its worth the risk. Me I had  2 back operations, 1 stem cell, 1 hernia, 2 hip arthroscope. The only one really required was the recent hips. All others were unnecessary. I picked renowned surgeons so there was little risk for stuff ups so I made it through. Similar I had very, very deep hip sockets so I was never going to make it an old age with my hips. "It is a known fact". I was very active as well.  Hunting, motorbikes, mountain bikes, running, tramping, skiing, road biking, flying, wake boarding, water skiing,  So I am here like a lot of others and blessed to have some new hips. Dr Bose seems a very good surgeon so be patient you should be fine. Good luck. Kind Regards K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Paul_D

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 03:10:09 AM »
Hi Karlos thanks for the confidence and I now feel that I have accepted my fate and as the days count down to July 23 and July 28 I feel more at ease. Just yesterday I setup a team building (foosball tournament!) day for my employees and when I found that my level of participation was minimal due to back pain from my aching hips, all I could think about was the sooner the better.

I had a few years ago a friend that recommended the arthroscopy but I never went for it. Did this help you?

MattJersey

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »
On arthroscopy, my surgeon told me I was 10 years too late for it, but it only lasts 7-8 years of benefit typically, so I was about where I would have been anyway.

I was in a similar frame of mind to you once the op was scheduled, sooner the better. But I remained uncertain even having walked up to theatre, sitting chatting with the nurse while I waited them getting ready for me. That was the scariest time. About to board a one way train.

But so far so good. And your anaesthetic etc fears ... It's difficult to imagine, but from the moment they give you it, it is literally like blinking. One blink closed, the next open and you are in recovery with a BHR. No passage of time, it is instant.

Millions of anaesthetics daily. You have every reason to expect a great result, and no problems.

Good luck.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Paul_D

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »
Just 2 weeks (or less) until I fly out to India. Getting super nervous and also just saw an article on the recall of BHR components?

http://www.smith-nephew.com/news-and-media/media-releases/news/statement-regarding-bhr-system/

Is this going to be an issue now?

I also have a question in regards to exercises before operation. How best to physically prepare?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:24:17 AM by Paul_D »

chuckm

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »
Paul, everything is fine. It's not a recall. Smith and Nephew decided not to sell the small sizes anymore.

The United Kingdom's 'National Institute of Clinical Excellence' (NICE) has recently singled out hip resurfacing and changed the outcomes requirement from 90% to 95%. 
The small sizes of BHR 46mm and under, according to the UK national registry, are having good outcomes under 95%. So what used to be acceptable to them when the bar was 90% they have changed their minds. So Smith and Nephew, who makes the BHR has simply said they are no longer selling those small sizes.
Anyone who needs larger than 46MM (which would be almost all men and some large boned women) will still be able to get the BHR which has an outcome average above 95%.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

MattJersey

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
I'm 173cm, 72kg, and got a 48mm if that helps you in case you're now wondering about what size you will likely be.

Ten weeks today, going well. Better than pre op now for "straight" stuff, like walking, swimming, cycling. Not yet rowing. Hip flex ROM up from about 85 max pre op, probably about 110 or 115-120 if I use my hands to pull knee higher.

Will be trying a bit of gentle golf at end of July.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Paul_D

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »
Hi Chuck and Matt,

Thanks for the quick responses. I am understanding day by day more and more about the mechanics now of the hip resurfacing procedure and myself being 184cm and 92kg I guess I will be getting a larger size ~50mm so therefore the recall and reasoning makes more sense. I notice that for the smaller head sizes are at greater risk of failure so I feel totally comfortable now being at the higher end.

Trying to now prepare mentally and physically for this operation and watching videos helps then it scares the sh%$# it out of me seeing the scars and thoughts of waking up after the procedure. There is no option for me but just to do it now as to hit it home for me I will just go for a short walk until I get some pain to make myself realise I will soon be over this!

2 weeks until surgery from today :O

Glad to here your recovery is going well Matt!

JHippy

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
Paul, judging from what you wrote I predict in a few months you'll feel even better than you did 10+ years ago. Good luck and keep us posted!
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Paul_D

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
Pre-op day

I am finally here in Chennai lieing down in the Raffles suite in a very relaxed and calm mode. I am finally ready and all fears are aside.

I have today undergone all pre-op investigations and been cleared for surgery tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to this time tomorrow!

djganz

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
Hi Paul,

That's great!  Good luck with your operation tomorrow!

Best,

Dean
LHR (62/56) 6/22/15, RHR (60/54) 6/24/15, Biomet, Dr Gross

JHippy

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »
Good luck tomorrow, Paul!
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Paul_D

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 10:32:35 PM »
Operation Day 23/7/2015

At 8am I was transferred to the surgery room to have my right hip installed with the BHR. All I remember is seeing Dr. Bose friendly face and before I knew it I was awake in the recovery room. Waking up was fine and my first words were "is it finished?" as I was so surprised it was over so quickly.

When I awoke, I had very little pain as a nerve block was in use and I generally felt alert and ok. Dr. Bose visited and said everything went perfectly which made me feel at ease.

The PT came at one stage and I talk about 6 steps with a walking frame. The legs felt ok but it was the dizziness that made me stop.

I spent 6 - 8 hours in the recovery room and I was keen to get back to my room and watch movies on the flat screen but I was told I must pass urine first. I didnt think it would be a problem but it was. I struggled for a few hours and insisted it would be easier from my room. I thought it was more nerves with all the people around but was later told it was the anaesthetic. After a few hours more I finally managed which felt like the biggest achievement for me.

I went to sleep on my back with leg socks compressing and decompressing all night.

djganz

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 02:07:50 AM »
Congratulations, Paul. Good luck with your recovery and with your next operation.
Dean
LHR (62/56) 6/22/15, RHR (60/54) 6/24/15, Biomet, Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat