+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cemented vs Noncemented  (Read 2563 times)

Kingrob

Cemented vs Noncemented
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:42:45 AM »
I am planning on getting my rt hip resurfaced next year. Trying to decided on the cemented vs non cemented. I would like to know if the components Dr. Gross uses are reheated to get the porous coating on. I have went through a lot of the information on this site and it seems reheating the cobalt chrome weakens the components. This weakening can cause problems in wear as well as metal ions released into your system. Other then that I think I would go with the cement less.

I hope that if I get this procedure done it would last me the rest of my life, but that might not be the case. I am also trying to understand this from the point of failure and needing a revision. Would I have the same choice for a THR if I never had the hip resurfacing? For example if the HR fails could I get a Minnie Hip? I really want to understand this process. I don't think it is standard to have a Metal on Metal THR - would that be my only option if I needed a revision? If I had a revision to a THR would they require the use of the bigger cup sizes? I don't think the bigger cup sizes are used in a THR for wear reasons - otherwise why wouldn't they use the bigger cup sizes. Is there something I am missing? Does having a cemented vs noncemented HR make a difference in your options for a THR?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:02:30 PM by Kingrob »

karlos.bell

Re: Cemented vs Noncemented
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:33:06 PM »
 :) Hey King Rob. I went through these options recently. Can be a lot of variables and ones that we do not consider. I asked the same at the same time, cement less ?? depends on the bone quality at the time. Only the femur is cemented in HR from what I know.
My surgeon tested it at time of operation and the bone is meant to bleed (good quality) for example I had so much unnecessary surgery it made the cement less job not a good option so he opted for cementing (very low risk) . Also the cementing from my understanding again and I have seen stuff from Pat on this is only a temporary measure until bone integrates 100% into the joint. Sometimes its good to get the basics and work on the finer stuff later on as your decision can change due to the findings. Good though you have made a decsion or had an offer that is sometimes the most hardest thing. Not sure on his components but they must be well proven surely if the are FDA approved stuff.  Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 05:07:26 PM »
King Rob, you've made a very wise decision to personally meet with Dr. Gross and his staff.  I will be seeing him and his PA, Lee Webb, on Tuesday for my 7 week (they were on vacation last week) post-op evaluation.  I urge you not to delay any of this.  You've found the right surgeon.  It takes a lot of time to get an appointment and then even MORE time to get a surgery date.  I did the dance for 3 years before pulling the trigger, and I wish I had that time back.  I live in the Columbia area and would be more than happy to point you in the right direction on a few things.  Just send me a PM.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:08:16 PM by Comfortably Numb »
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
 :) 8) Cool Kingrob : yep why wait if you know its an issue. Do your home work and be happy with your decision, I am sure you will. No you don't need to see Dr De Smet just some info I picked up along my journey.  7 weeks now 8 kms of biking and 2 kms of walking today. yesterday was 4 km walking 5 kms biking. Still long way to go but I have now reached the point of my old hips after 7 weeks!!! Can just put a sock on a funny way so its looking onwards and upwards from here. Pretty dam exciting if you only have small issues to contend with. Hell I drove my bro-inlaws pontiac 1968 389 cub the other day with a manual clutch LH drive and no problems. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:49:53 AM »
The guys who developed the BHR have yet to see cement failure at 20 years. McMinn has been using his unique cement technique scince the early 90's and like i say has yet to see this cement failure.

The BHR uses a unique cement technique where there is no cement mantle the device is line to line. Cementless can work very well however its very very hard to beat the stats of the BHR when the surgeon is good and so is the patient!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz