+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Increasing external rotation/putting socks on  (Read 3978 times)

ironwill

Increasing external rotation/putting socks on
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:06:22 AM »
I am 6 weeks post right BHR and feeling great.  My hip flexion is now 80 degrees which is a huge improvement as it was 40 presurgery.  My one issue is I still have terrible external rotation.  My surgeon gave me two new exercises to help (sitting and using a towel to pull the ankle to the other knee which I'm not close yet) and (laying holding my left knee to my chest and straightening my right leg against floor).  I know I am only 6 weeks and the muscles are still cut up and healing but I am looking for any exercises and stretches to help from those thst have been through this.

Snowbound

Re: Increasing external rotation/putting socks on
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
I'm close to 5 months, had both hips done at the same time. I struggled to put on my socks pre surgery and couldn't sit with my ankle up on the opposite knee.

I was extremely tight in the adducotors and tight in the hip flexors. Lying on my back I couldn't quite pull my knee up straight to 90 degrees. I can now go to about 110 deg (or 70 if you're measuring from the torso).

Lying on the back with the soles of the feet together I could open my knees 18" apart. I'm now up to 25".

In addition to going to the gym and riding my bike, I've been doing a yoga stretching class which helps a lot. I'd highly recommend it. I can't do all of the positions fully, especially anything related to sitting cross legged, but the instructor says that doesn't matter. She's very good at working with people with limitations.

One other stretch that I've found helpful is the paleo squat. I couldn't do it at first without the help of a block but now I can do it no problem. It looks like this.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/05/b4/8005b4317ef4e1fccf00d4ea03c69356.jpg

I'll also say that I had pain in my right adductor and hamstring until about 4 months. My surgeon said that is normal and the last couple of weeks it's pretty much gone. My hips are still weaker than before but I'm hoping that they'll be in good shape by the end of summer.

briandb

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »
I'm close to 5 months, had both hips done at the same time. I struggled to put on my socks pre surgery and couldn't sit with my ankle up on the opposite knee.

I was extremely tight in the adducotors and tight in the hip flexors. Lying on my back I couldn't quite pull my knee up straight to 90 degrees. I can now go to about 110 deg (or 70 if you're measuring from the torso).

Lying on the back with the soles of the feet together I could open my knees 18" apart. I'm now up to 25".

In addition to going to the gym and riding my bike, I've been doing a yoga stretching class which helps a lot. I'd highly recommend it. I can't do all of the positions fully, especially anything related to sitting cross legged, but the instructor says that doesn't matter. She's very good at working with people with limitations.

One other stretch that I've found helpful is the paleo squat. I couldn't do it at first without the help of a block but now I can do it no problem. It looks like this.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/05/b4/8005b4317ef4e1fccf00d4ea03c69356.jpg

I'll also say that I had pain in my right adductor and hamstring until about 4 months. My surgeon said that is normal and the last couple of weeks it's pretty much gone. My hips are still weaker than before but I'm hoping that they'll be in good shape by the end of summer.

Hey Snowbound, do you go to a strength and conditioning gym?  a CrossFit Gym? 

Snowbound

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »
I go to a fitness center. It has all the standard weight machines, free weights, treadmills steppers, etc... They don't do cross fit but they run a lot of different classes. I do a yoga stretching class.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear