+-

Author Topic: Bilateral BHR , with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis  (Read 2980 times)

Oelslad

• Dave Oelslager
I am 55 years old. I have lived with Ankylosing Spondylitis  (AS) since I was age 18. I was also diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis at age 50. When I was diagnosed with AS, the miracle drug was Motrin! While I stayed as active as I could, (mostly water exercise over the years) I ended up needing my left hip resurfaced in November of 2014. And, due to the rigorous physical therapy to try to bring the left hip back, my right hip gave out and I had right hip resurfacing in April of 2015. Needless to say, my entire body went into an inflamed status after the April surgery. Right now I am 9 weeks post op and with steroids and my Remicade infusions, I am only exercising in the water. I also walk with a cane. I need to also say that with my right hip having to be done, my left hip had not healed enough and thus declined some. So, I am back to the beginning essentially with both hips. I been off work since November. While I always read about very active folks doing well from this surgery, while I am doing well,my underlying issues make my recovery very slow. Are there others out there like me?

Jerry C.

Re: Bilateral BHR , with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »
 Sorry to hear that your progress has been slowed.  I am 55 also and have had both hips resurfaced last year.  I have AS also.  Not sure how long I have had it but was diagnosed in my early fifties.  I am still able to function fairly well with my job and still golf for exercise.  The stiff back is an annoyance but I manage. I hope your inflammation subsides and your quality of life starts improving.  Jerry

HowieF-16

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:48:13 AM »
I am 52 and had my right hip resurfaced in Jan 2014 AND I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. In Jan of this year I had a major flare for the first time in 15 years. I was forced to switch meds because the TNF Alpha inhibitors were no longer working. I think that might be helpful for you, too. Work with you Rheumy and see if a new Biologic may be more helpful. In the meantime, I think your training regimen in the water is ideal. Keep positive thoughts. I am confident it will all work out in the end.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

MattJersey

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 06:55:41 PM »
Hi all, rekindling this topic as I searched and it had rheumatoid in it.

My sister is suffering palindromic variety, with some other complications following use of methotrexate to manage it. She is lucky enough that no osteo with it. Was talking to a friend whose sister suffering some other form but with osteo in hip quite bad.

Anyone whose been (is going) through it and had resurfacing? Any special comments or just as successful as others' stories on here?

Thanks all.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats