+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mr McMinn on withdrawal of small-sized BHRs  (Read 5816 times)

Granton

Mr McMinn on withdrawal of small-sized BHRs
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »
i received this today. It contains a link to a strong, fact-filled lecture by Mr McMinn.

He feels strongly about this, and with justification. His results with them are demonstrably excellent and it is denying many women (in particular) a fix for their problems. The central point is that with the smaller components, the surgeon has to be that much better / more experienced.

----------

I am writing to all patients who have received the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR) from myself. I am sorry to tell you that Smith & Nephew who are currently the manufacturers of the BHR have decided to withdraw small sizes of BHR implants appropriate for women. They have done this because the National Joint Register (NJR) shows worse results of BHR in women compared to men. Smith & Nephew did not discuss this matter with me or as far as I can gather, did not discuss it with any other high volume surgeons. The results of BHR in women in my practice are good. In the below lecture, you will see an explanation for why there is a discrepancy between my results and NJR results.
View the lecture here: http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/news-archive.html#womenresurfacing
We currently have waiting a number of women who have had a successful BHR in the past and now want their other hip resurfaced also. A lot of women are very disappointed at this time. I am not sure how to react to this surprise happening. My own view is that Smith & Nephew should have instead restricted BHR use to those surgeons who could demonstrate success with this implant.
I feel sorry for the hundreds of women that will be deprived of a successful BHR and I would welcome any thoughts on how we should proceed from my former patients.
Yours Sincerely,
Derek McMinn MD FRCS
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Visiting Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery – Imperial College London
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

JHippy

Re: Mr McMinn on withdrawal of small-sized BHRs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:34:01 AM »
Thank you, I've been waiting to hear McMinn's reaction.

Great video.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
In all this discussion something is not right for me: it should not be "female" to "male". The size matters!
I am female, 1.82m, strong bones.....my german friend, also bilateral March 2015, 1.80m, strong bones. We both have had an easy healing and are back to normal life.
..... I will find out

Granton

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 03:03:58 AM »
it should not be "female" to "male". The size matters!

And it IS about the size of the components. But I think that you will find that women are overwhelmingly the users of the smaller sizes which S&N will no longer supply. Therefore it is mainly women who are affected.

Do you know what size implant you received?
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 03:39:56 AM »
I think S&N have withdrawn sub48mm devices, although Dr Rogerson appears to be looking at 50mm plus.

The female issue isn't only about size, but a tendency for dysplasia and failures in that population where selection and surgeon experience are even more important.

I would expect the experienced surgeons to overcome this somehow, but it may take a long time, as we start to see many long term success results, as I hope we will, and as I hope to be!

But since this is a manufacturer withdrawal, not forced as I understand, then perhaps we will find them still manufactured but sold to a non Smith and Nephew company, and marketed under that co but only to proven experienced surgeons (or for training purposes), so S&N are disassociated and not liable. Or maybe that is too simplistic an approach.

I sure hope there is a 48mm size around for my left hip in future if and when the time comes!

DR ROGERSON thread
 Be that as it may, as of June 3, 2015 we will no longer be able to perform BHR hip resurfacing in the female population at large or in males with femoral head sizes templated below 50 mm.  I personally feel that this is most unfortunate for these younger patients, male or female, who want to remain extremely active.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:42:05 AM by MattJersey »
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Granton

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »
perhaps we will find them still manufactured but sold to a non Smith and Nephew company, and marketed under that co but only to proven experienced surgeons (or for training purposes), so S&N are disassociated and not liable. Or maybe that is too simplistic an approach.

The BHR was originally manufactured by Midland Medical Technology, which was owned by Messrs McMinn and Treacy before it was sold to S&N. Perhaps MMT needs to be revived!
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »
David
Thank You for the copy of your McMinn letter and additional information.  It is so important.

I posted Mr. McMinn's video about his excellent results with women and small men here:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/mcminn-positive-results-hip-resurfacing-women-2015.php
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »
Amazing!!! Article a must listen to for all people considering any hip work that is done on their body......
Even more amazing he has designed a Cup system that looks like it will replace the HR metal CUP when ours wears out the Metal on Metal. You may I say......... May have a product to only replace the cup if it does with a very thin metal polyethylene device.
I hope Derrick is around along time can sell this product available to all rather than the big company's taking it over for money benefit........

Read for all....... K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz