+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are there any post op successful RS returned runners out there?  (Read 3566 times)

gunners

Dear surface hippies
I am considering seeing another Doctor who performs this operation and would like to know if there are any runners out there who have made a successful return to running after hip resurfacing? I am especially interested in people who are maybe 10 years post op or even longer? Any road racers, 10k folks things of that nature?
Also would like to hear from sprinters, cross trainers and soccer players?
I have an October appointment to have my left hip assessed and RS might be a possibility.
Thank you in advance to anyone who has information to share.
Gunners

petemeads

Re: Are there any post op successful RS returned runners out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:15:11 AM »
Hi gunners, I have made several posts about my return to running, which you can check  out under my ID, but I guess you want reassurance about joint longevity/ion problems rather than that running is possible. I am only at 32 weeks but am racing 5k every Saturday.

I was cycling with a friend the other day who has a BHR from 1997, he continued to run for several years and is currently stronger than me on the bike over 60 miles despite being 71. He has had no problem from his hip in all this time, despite being one of the first of the modern devices.

I am sure there will be plenty of others along soon with their success stories, including triathletes and sprinters.
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Tim Bratten

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:07:33 AM »
Hi gunners
Not much of a runner myself (I hike a lot and jog a bit) but from what I've seen, several posters here have been very successful at getting back to track and field. In particular, Arrojo has had some success competing in the in US National Masters Championships.
Cheers
Tim
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
I'm only back for 3.5 years, but yes, I'm back.  Competive in my age group for distances 5k to 15k and sprint and olympic distance tri's.  I don't even notice that I have bilateral HR's.  I was away form running for about 5 years and started back at the 6 month mark.  Resturned to racing at about the one year mark with a 3rd place in my age group.  Returned to tri's about 16 month and it has been getting better ever since.  If you want to return to running, HR is probably your best bet.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Pre op I was telling myself no running, I want this thing to last, but seeing so many doing so well ... It crosses my mind. Maybe off road would suit.

Can I ask, what kind of pace are you running? Sub 17min 5k? I'm wondering if there any really fast guys and girls out there, to inspire me to get back, as I don't think I can do fun running. I'd want a crack at my PBs again ...
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »
I'm 65 with bilateral HR's and both knees repaird.  i was thrilled to go under 23 this winter for 5k.  22:20 would take first in my age group in any race around here.   I'll see if I can get there soon.

shoraztri

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »
Hi Woodstock Hippie,
Mate have just picked up on this post of yours, re Run times. Thats bloody flying !!!! ;D , and an awesum time. Has then been much "drop-off" in your times POST OPERATION.???..
Im sure you will crank those times down. :)
Cheers,
Kiwi Boyo.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

blinky

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 02:03:18 AM »
Glad to hear of people who have returned to running. I am a former runner who at this point would be happy to walk without pain. But were you warned away from it? Told your hip wouldn't last as long if you ran?

petemeads

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
Woodstock - brilliant! I'm still trying to get under 24 minutes but very hopeful it will be soon, I managed 22:43 in 2013 aged 62 on minimal training due to the hips, no reason why I can't get there again with a bit of effort..?  My local parkrun 65-category record time is 20:21 unfortunately!

Matt - PBs get harder and harder with age, I comfort myself with the WMA Age Grading tables that allow comparison between different ages and genders. I doubt I ever ran better than about 74%, currently I am getting close to 70% over 5km and I am happy with that, but cannot reasonably expect to beat that 74% barrier, which equates to 22:10 at age 65 (me at Xmas).
When I say comfort, of course there is a downside - little old ladies (like the missus) who trail minutes behind still beat me on percentage which means they are better runners. Grrrr!

Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

MattJersey

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
I'm feeling pretty good on the hip at the moment, have to stop myself from coming down the stairs in twos like I used to, hence me getting the taste for running again. I think I'm delusional though as I can't imagine reaching PBs again, it's been twenty years, and there's probably twenty pounds in the way, never mind my cardiovascular system! Probably best I don't try, and stick to golf!
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »
With or without hip surgery, no life long runner is going to running PR's in their sixyies.  But!!!...We get to reset the counter.  Any record before surgery no lonnger counts.  It's a whole new ball game!

My doctor, Scott Marwin, encouraged me to run again.  At my six month visit he told be to wear my running clothes and go across the street to Eisenhour Park on Long Island and run on the grass, then come back and tell himm about it.  I started one minute on on off and was soon running slow but steady. Slow but running. I went back to see him with the biggest smile I ever had!

shoraztri

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
Hi Mates,
Great posts here by all of you. Woodstock Hippie you hit it on the head re-PBs,. Petemeads, I like you figures and sums/%.!!! :) :D . Certainly is more motivating knowing about this.
Will re-set my watch and times accordingly, so therefore my next timed serious Run , will be a 1st and a PB.  ;D ;) .
A new season ahead of me and a new ball game, as you have said. Thanks .
Cheers,
Kiwi Boyo.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:21:45 PM by shoraztri »
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

DeviceGuy

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
Woodstock,
Great story about your Dr having you go for a jog and then come back in to see him.  Sounds like a cool dude that really cares about his patients.
I'm 6 mos out on the left but only 10 weeks now on the right.  I'm chomping at the bit to go for a run but won't until the 6 month mark for the right.  Kinda crazy but since the first hip was done I've had dreams of running, and running fast, but then I get into a panic that I may have damaged something and I wake up.  I like your strategy of starting the clock over on your times.  I've always been so competitive that I have to know the distance, know the time, push to improve, yada yada.  This new phase may have me just run for the joy of running, no watch, no defined distance......like in my dreams.  NOT!!!
L-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 12/14
R-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 04/15

BAM

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
52 yo female bilateral surface hippy here.  7 mos out from the second surgery I'm running 3-5 miles several days a week on trails with a sub 10 minute mile pace.  Ok, not my prior blinding speed, but NO PAIN and no issues.  I started at 6 mos post the second surgery and have had no issues other than cardio :)

Ran a trail, hilly 5k last week sub 30 minutes.  Felt great. I have changed my shoes considerably with the advice of my running coach from the traditional trail shoes to a minimalist trail shoe and LOVE them.

Although a prior pretty competitive marathoner, I won't run on pavement again.  My hips were a product of dsyplasia, but my husband very correctly pointed out that if we were going to the time and expense to have both hips repaired, he didn't see any need for me to beat them up with pavement.  I love to trail run and have access to the best trails in the world here so why not. 

Good luck! 

shabbis

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »
I am only 6 1/2 months post op, but I ran 4.33 miles this morning at a 6:55 pace. I haven't been able to do that the last 4 years of battling arthritis. I am up to 4-5 miles about five days a week. Still can't do the longer runs that I'd like to yet, 10K seems to be my threshold right now.

I was cleared at 3 months to do anything I wanted, so started running again then (also hitting the gym for rehab pretty hard and a lot of surfing). Hip has been flawless and pain free ever since. It's quite amazing. Now the muscles Dr Pritchett had to cut through are a different story, especially the glute. But at least I know that any pain and soreness is muscular and not arthritis.
11/25/2014 LBHR Dr Pritchett

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal