+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cemented versus uncemented?  (Read 2152 times)

gunners

Cemented versus uncemented?
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »
Dear Surface Hippies
I have a question please? What are the differences between cemented versus un-cemented in Hip surfacing?
Are there pros and cons to each? I am interested in this sugery if I end up doing it which should I choose, cement or no cement?

Thank you

Gunners

DeviceGuy

Re: Cemented versus uncemented?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 07:53:27 PM »
Gunners, maybe these links will provide some insight for you.  Either method will be fine.  Go with your comfort level, gut, intuition, research, etc.  Just make sure you get a top notch surgeon.  The best device in the wrong hands can spell disaster!!
Good luck.

http://www.grossortho.com/forms/Uncemented_femur_handout_9_2008.pdf

http://www.grossortho.com/forms/UC%20femoral%20HSR-2-11-2011.pdf

http://www.grossortho.com/Journals/Abstract%20Cementless%20Debate%20HSR%20Baltimore%20September%202009.pdf
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:24:31 PM by DeviceGuy »
L-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 12/14
R-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 04/15

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »
both sides have compelling arguments. We are only talking about the femoral component here because all the devices have non cemented cups.

The non cemented surgeons argue they didn't need to develop a non cemented femoral component and they are right, they aren't coming loose even nearly 20 years later.

Dr. Gross is the non cemented advocate and he is partially right. His device is performing very well too. He's wrong in that he predicted the cemented would be coming loose by now and they aren't.

Neither seems to be performing better than the other except the cemented has been around much longer.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

MattJersey

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
It will be a long time before someone can claim categorically that one or other is better. Concentrate on who and their personal success records rather than what, as I think that is the thing that most affects outcome.

I was comfortable with cement anyway as the pioneer of this positively promotes it. And, I have had cement in my mouth in the form of fillings or glue to hold my permanent retainer in place ... That's twelve years old and going strong, and it gets boiling hot drinks, freezing cold drinks, chewing, brushing, flossing every day ... So I figure the cement guys know what's what.

Whichever road you pursue, best wishes.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:20:41 PM »
 :) Hi From Pat somewhere I remember the cement is a bond to act as a temporary agent until the body fully integrates the bone in the femoral component. The uncememnted I asked at my surgery is when you have excellent bone quality then will they do UN-cemented . Example I had surgeries for FAI De SMet played safe and the cemented the Conserve plus Femoral component.
Hope that helps Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »
Carlos the cement is a permanent integral part of the femoral component fixation. It is the metal cup that the bone grows into.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat