+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Will I be able to walk without crutches 5 weeks post BHR? Getting married  (Read 3917 times)

Slinkycarrot

Hi there,

I am new to this forum.

I am looking at getting a BHR early next week which is 5 weeks before my wedding.  I was trying to put it off until afterwards but the cortisone is no longer working and I am in incredible pain.

I don't know if its too high a risk being so close to the wedding, or whether I will be ok and better than I am now?

Appreciate any thoughts on recovery.

Thanks, Roz

MattJersey

Congratulations.

If you had five weeks to recover, I think you would probably be ok to walk down the aisle without crutches, but would need to take it easy during the day generally, don't go mad and lots of walking or standing around.

This assumes it goes well, and as you will have read, or might do soon, on this site, your selection of surgeon is vital to a successful outcome. Indeed, with one of the more experienced surgeons I would think it highly likely you'll be fine in five weeks, all things going smoothly, and all instructions followed.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Ernie

I can only share my own experience.  After having each hip done, I was using just a cane within a week, and nothing within two.  At five weeks I took our youth group on a mission trip.  However, I was full weight bearing from the start and my fitness level was very good before the surgery.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

surfhippy

I'm basically in the same boat as Ernie, with 1 week on crutches, and 1 week on a cane. You should do just fine. Matt has good advice to limit time standing/walking the day of, and it shouldn't be a problem. I was getting around nicely at 5 weeks, but did have soreness at the end of the day.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Slinkycarrot

Thanks for the input!

Its a really tough decision, as I could have another cortisone and hope that works to get me through the 3 week wedding period (its getting less effective each time, I had a half dose four weeks ago and it lasted 10 days) and then at least when I am at the wedding I can go crazy and dance (hoping the booze and adrenalin see's me through and distracts me from the pain), but then I will probably be in pain for the wedding week/honeymoon.  I have the wedding in Italy for a week and then 2 weeks in Sicily (:

OR I can get the resurfacing now but will have to limit myself and be careful on the day as I wouldn't want to get a fracture but then I should not be in pain for the whole period.  As you will all know pain is a real mood dampener and I want to enjoy this time. 

I have the added complication of needing both hips done with one worse than the other so will need to have cortisone in the other hip to see me through the wedding also (and may put too much pressure on the newly resurfaced hip) and then get that one resurfaced in a few months VS. waiting through this period and getting a bilateral operation.  Problem is as I have both hips screwed and I am currently having to use a wheelchair to get around which is really not ideal and if I wait I will be relying on cortisone to get me walking for the wedding (currently waiting just before i go away for the injection) which is not a given.

Crystal ball please?!

Woodstock Hippy

I think your biggest problems, if you have the surgery 5 weeks before, are going to be fatigue at the end of your wedding day and soreness the day after.  I had bilateral surgery with Dr Scott Marwin on 11/15/2011.  I don't think I ever used two crutches.  I went from a walker to one hand crutch to a cane.  I stayed in the hospital for nine days with PT three times a day and occupational therapy once a day.  I walked out of there using only a cane.  I worked hard on my recovery and when I went back to Dr Marwin for my 4 week visit, he said ''what are you doing with the cane?  get rid of it'' I never used it again.

I'd say to get the surgery, at least on your worst hip.  You should have plenty of time to be ready to dance (maybe not as much as you new wife will want) at your wedding.

All of us hippies will be dancing along with you!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Juno

Westro --- I am a woman and had both hips done by Dr. Gross, 5 months apart. From my perspective, I would wait until after the wedding! I was 48 when I had my first hip done...I'm in great shape and physically young for my age. That said, I was still using a cane at week 5 intermittently (when I was tired). Additionally, you ARE tired and your body is still in recovery phase 4-6 weeks post op. Remember it's not just the hip that you are recovering from...it is the anesthesia as well. Give your self time.

HR was the BEST thing I did for myself. Now 2 years post op I am living my life again, with no issues and no restrictions. But the initial post op phase is one that requires baby steps (literally). Take your time. Enjoy your wedding and then go do it!

Best wishes.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:53:37 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Ernie

If you are having to use a wheelchair to get around now, your fitness level probably isn't great going into surgery, which could make for a longer recovery.  It's a tough decision. 
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Congratulations on your wedding!

If you are in a wheelchair now, it probably does mean you will have a longer recovery period.  I am not a doctor, but people who have more problems pre op usually have a longer recovery post op since it takes the body a long time to heal and then get back to normal.

I would think about having my hip surgery, then using one of the nice, neat walkers with a seat and handlebars with brakes.  I have one I used for a broken foot.  You might get enough energy to walk down the isle without crutches if you have an arm to lean on from who ever is giving you away.  Then after the service, use the walker if needed.  Who cares - you are getting married and obviously your mate loves you no matter what.

Make the best of it all even with a walker or crutches.  The walkers are great since they have seats to sit on and a basket to carry stuff. 

I am sure you will be much more tired, but just pace yourself.

That's only my opinon.  Make the best of it all and move forward - with a smile on your face!!!!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

China Lady

I am with Pat! Get married! Who cares if you walk, sit, walk with crouches..... To get married is a story about two people sharing a life, come high come low. It will be the way it is. If you cannot dance, or what ever......invite her next year to a very special aniversary, when you can do whatever is "missing" this year
..... I will find out

einreb

Problem is as I have both hips screwed and I am currently having to use a wheelchair to get around

I'd definitely lean towards getting it done before.  5 weeks out is a huge improvement over what you are describing as your current condition, your hip will be joint pain free and any muscle/soreness will be of the type that is just going to improve over time rather than get worse.

Just my 2 cents...

-Bernie

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

happyhippy

Hey Roz, Not sure whether you've made your decision, but I'd go for it.  I had my L hip resurfaced 5 years ago at age 45.  My only regret was not doing it sooner.  Pain can make you fatigued and cranky.  I couldn't sleep at night and could barely do anything by the time it was 5:00 pre-surgery.  Post surgery, I was sore and on crutches the first week, down to one crutch the second.  Range of motion was limited but I didn't need anything after that. 
Either way, stay positive, it's going to get better!  Congrats! 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:00:02 AM by happyhippy »

Slinkycarrot

Thanks for all your input guys and gals.

I have decided to wait until afterwards as given i need both hips doing better to do at the same time and also means i don't have to drop out of uni (I quit my job last year to go back to study art!).

Im seeing my ortho tomorrow to see if i can get a nerve block for both hips and then i will have cortisone just before the wedding which fingers crossed will get me walking (:

Wish me luck to walk!

Arrojo

I was off crutches 3 weeks after surgery.  Be sure to follow your PT instructions.  Good luck and congratulations!  (No dancing for you though!)
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Ant

Hi, had surgery 8 weeks ago still limping can get by without crutches but sore hip if walking or on feet for one hour or more, reckon you should be fine after 5 weeks post BHR will depend on quality of surgeon and how good physio.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear