+-

Author Topic: Advice on Ceramic/Metal Hip mid resurfacing  (Read 1343 times)

Slinkycarrot

Advice on Ceramic/Metal Hip mid resurfacing
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
Hi there,
I am trying to weigh up my options re device selection. I really want a resurfacing vs THR as I am young and active.  I am interested in the BHR but don't yet have children which is a concern.

My surgeon in South Africa who has done about 700-800 resurfacements, has a specially made prothesis for woman patients - a ceramic head with metal cup.  It has a short stem like a BMHR but he says can take full activity.  He has had 25/25 successful cases with the ceramic head but within a limited time frame and also no full studies on it, just the lab testing data.

Conceptually the ceramic head appeals to me. However with the lack of long term data I would be taking a risk and then also the risk of fracture having ceramic. The metal on metal, has the advantage of long term data but no real data with regards to impact on pregnancy and the higher metal ions.

Does anyone have any thoughts? thanks
Roz

Dannywayoflife

Re: Advice on Ceramic/Metal Hip mid resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:12 PM »
Personally I wouldn't let a surgeon put a device in me without good data. 25 is a TINY cohort. I'd seek advice from other surgeons as well if I were you. There are many who will give you a free opinion. Vijay Bose is one of them and is very very cheap to go to for the surgery due to exchange rates. :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Slinkycarrot

Re: Advice on Ceramic/Metal Hip mid resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »
thanks for the advice, I will speak try speak to Dr Bose. This is the same type that Dr McCinn was using and is currently developing (different manufacturer).

I am considering flying overseas for the surgery.. I am considering Dr Pritchard with the plastic/metal but would be super expensive and not sure my insurance would cover it!

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear