+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Difficulty with the decision of where to go for my hip resurface  (Read 3819 times)

Coquí

My name is Edgardo, I lived in Puerto Rico and I am 36 years old. Thanks to all the people that shared their stories in this website. It is an incredible source of information and support for people suffering from different types of conditions on their hips.

Regarding my story:

- I have AVN on left hip
- Diagnosed early 2009
- I suffered from an occasional pain in my left groin since I was 18 years old (1997)
- The pain during these early years was not a problem and I was very active and able to play sports (I thought the occasional pain was muscular and due to the physical activity)
- I visited several Orthopedic doctors in PR. All of them recommended me to modify physical activity (low impact) and to wait until a total hip replacement was necessary.
- Currently I am able to walk without a cane or other device, but since August 2014  I have been experiencing a sudden intense pain in my left groin. The pain is very intense and limits me even to walk or stay straight for 5-10 minutes. I never experienced anything like that before, and more recently experience the pain for more than a day.
- I have not done any high impact activities since 2009. I want to gain back my ability to do exersices and play freely with my two young kids. I am looking forward to have my hip resurface and gain part of my life back.

I have a few questions/concerns that I hope someone can provide me with some info:

1) Are anyone here a resurface patient from Puerto Rico?
2) Of the resurface patients due to AVN in the hip in this website, are there any who suffer also from synovial chondomatrosis on the shoulders?
3) I will definetly will go ahead with resurface of my left hip, but I am having problems deciding between Dr. Gross or Dr. Su. I know both of them have a lot of experience with resurfacing. If someone analized both doctors and could share with me the reasoning for selecting one over the other it will really help (you can send me an email if you want it to be private). I am not looking for an analysis of who is a better doctor (from what I researched they both have great qualifications, knowledge,experience, historical data of procedures and passion for what they do and their patients). I am looking more into: medical facilities, devices they use, therapy recommendations after the procedure, schedule of activities recommended after the procedure, traveling logistics.

Thanks again for sharing.

Comfortably Numb

Re: Difficulty with the decision of where to go for my hip resurface
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:50:22 AM »
Have both doctors (Su and Gross) reviewed your records to determine if you are a candidate for resurfacing?  You may gain a lot of information concerning both doctors, their staff, facilities, etc. after an initial consultation.  Both surgeons are highly rated and do a large number of resurfacings.  I know nothing about Dr. Su other than what I've read on this and other forums.  I live very close to Dr. Gross' office and Providence NE Orthopedic Hospital, and I cannot imagine a better situation for an out of state (or out of country) patient.  Compared to New York City, Columbia is almost a rural setting.  Everything you need (motel, hospital, pharmacy, restaurants, etc.) is right there in one place.  The airport is practically deserted on most days.  Most importantly, Dr. Gross is known for his willingness to take on difficult cases with great success.  Obviously I'm very partial to Dr. Gross.  I think you will become the same way once you compare the situations a little closer.  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:50:53 AM by Comfortably Numb »
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »
the surgeon you chose may depend on your size.  If you are a smaller man, you might not be able to use a surgeon that uses the BHR.  Hopefully, that won't be a problem for you.

There is also a surgeon in FL that a handful of patients here have used - Dr. Raterman

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#florida

Here are some stories

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/dr-raterman

I am not recommending him, but wanted you to know you did have a closer choice.  You can't beat Dr. Gross or Dr. Su.  All of the surgeons that have done a thousand or two have great outcomes.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Coquí

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »

Thanks both for your replies. I sent both doctors my xrays. I talked to Dr. Gross and he told me I was a good candidate for resurface. Waiting to talk to Dr. Su because he is traveling during July.

I am also waiting to talk with Dr. Gross' staff to see possible dates for the procedure and to clarify some general questions regarding the logistics for out of town patients. Regarding this, since I will be traveling from Puerto Rico, does anyone recommend staying in South Carolina at least a week after the resurface? If you do, any recommendations of places to stay? What about PT post op with Dr. Gross? I will be traveling with my wife.

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
This motel is literally right outside the front door of Providence NE Orthopedic Hospital.  Extremely convenient: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/caene-courtyard-columbia-northeast-i-77/
This motel is very close to the hospital but not exactly a short walk like the Mariott:  http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/south-carolina/hilton-garden-inn-columbia-northeast-CAENOGI/index.html
I would recommend that you book the Mariott the second you get a surgery date.  This location will be very convenient for your wife to walk back and forth to the hospital, and will put you in close proximity to Dr. Gross and staff following surgery.  I don't think you will need more than two or three extra days at the motel, but you can always book more and cancel later.  Your airline tickets (dates) will be more critical if they are non-refundable, etc.
You should consider a direct flight to and from Charlotte, NC.  Tickets are considerably cheaper than flying into Columbia--and you would have to stop in Atlanta if coming to the Columbia airport.  The Charlotte airport in about 75-80 miles straight up I-77 from Providence NE Hospital.  Even with car rental included, I would be willing to bet that your tickets are less than 1/2 the Columbia cost.  Check out this website for all flights and add your filters (non-stop, time of day, etc.):  https://matrix.itasoftware.com/
After being discharged from the hospital, you will do all of your PT on your own.  Dr. Gross has a very safe and simple approach to PT, and you will do great if you adhere to his instructions.  Good Luck!
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

einreb

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »
does anyone recommend staying in South Carolina at least a week after the resurface? If you do, any recommendations of places to stay? What about PT post op with Dr. Gross? I will be traveling with my wife.

I cant imagine wanting to stay in a hotel for a week after surgery.  I stayed one night in a hotel in Charlotte NC after being discharged from the hospital to have the flight flexibility the next day.

Dr Gross doesnt do the PT, you do that on your own and/or with a PT.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

surfhippy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »
I had Dr. Gross as my surgeon and I recommend him highly. He is using the Biomet uncemented devise with great results. The Biomet is a better approach than the cemented BHR in my opinion. Dr. Gross was not happy with cemented devises, and that's why he pushed Biomet to develop the new, cementless components. There has been good results with both, but I decided the newer, proven technology was for me. He did mine as an outpatient procedure, and I stayed in the hotel 1 night after surgery, and was released to travel the 5 hours back home by car. Good luck with your decision and procedure. You will ask yourself, why you waited so long. I believe eveyone probably ask this of themselves after the realize they can really be pain free, and live an active life.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Saf57

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »
I don't believe that it is fair to say that Dr. Gross was "not happy" with the cemented devices. He did my resurfacing in 2003 with a cemented device during the initial FDA clinical trials, and had great success over many years, the results of which he published. I do think it's fair to say that Dr. Gross believes that in the very long term, cementless devices will achieve better outcomes. However, the jury is still out on that hypothesis.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
Edgardo,

I highly recommend Dr. Gross.  Everything about him, his staff, and the experience is seamless and fantastic. 

The Marriott is definitely the place to stay, and you should stay for as long as you feel comfortable.  I think that by day 3 you'd wish you didn't stay a week but that's just me.  I did not have to get on a flight afterwards.....just a 3 hour car drive.  But, you can't go wrong with him.

Whatever you do.....take your pain meds on schedule for your travels.  You'll be fine.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz