+-

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing with Dysplasia anyone?  (Read 1803 times)

Slinkycarrot

Hip resurfacing with Dysplasia anyone?
« on: July 20, 2015, 06:11:16 PM »
Hey there,

I have moderate hip dysplasia (undercoverage anteriorly) and am looking at a hip resurfacing.

My local surgeon thinks it is fine to do (although he may be just talking his own book).  I emailed Dr Vijay Bose and he has recommended against hip resurfacing due to dysplasia and is suggesting the large head COC option.

HAs anyone here had a BHR with dysplasia or have any views on whether it is ok?

Thanks

Roz

BAM

Re: Hip resurfacing with Dysplasia anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »
Hi, Roz -- I had severe bi-lateral dysplasia and Dr. Gross resurfaced both my hips.  I'm beyond amazed at how great I feel now!  The dysplasia didn't cause me trouble until late 40s but when they went, they went bad fast. 

Let me know if I can answer any questions -- I've got several posts of pre- and post-op info throughout the forums. 

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »
Same here.  My first diagnosis, provided by a spinal surgeon, was "adult hip dysplasia."  I went to Dr. Gross and he said I was an excellent candidate for resurfacing, at age 67 no less.  He works with many difficult cases and has performed thousands of resufacings.  I highly recommend that you contact his office for a case review before you decide on anyone else.  Good luck!
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

NYRFan19

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:56:47 AM »
Westro-

I too had mild-moderate dysplasia in my hips and am now 16 weeks post op from having my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Su.  So far so good with everything for the most part. I had inquired about the dysplasia with Dr. Su prior to surgery as well as a second doctor who performed resurfacings and neither had an issue with it. They both told me that mine was not severe enough that it would effect the outcome....I do know that Dr. Su reamed my acetabular socket a little bit deeper during the surgery to give the hip more coverage. 
Matt-----LBHR 03/31/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)
             RBHR 12/04/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)

mari

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
I had mild dysplasia also.  Dr. Gross resurfaced my right hip over 6 years ago, and it is doing well.  I would recommend that you contact his office.  I was very happy with his work.
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

Slinkycarrot

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
thANK YOU for your input!

Its so confusing, I don't know what to think as every surgeon is telling me something different and talking their own book!  Its hard to get impartial advise with regards to hip replacements i find.

ANyway that is good to know that there are success stories and to keep the hope alive.  Thank you.

NYRFan19

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »
Unless it is severe dysplasia then I think any of the highly recommended doctors on here like Dr. Gross, Dr. Su, etc would have no problem addressing it and giving you a successful outcome but I would definitely seek out one of the more experienced doctors because of your case. Like you, a bunch of my local doctors told me that there was nothing they could do for me until I was older and then I would get a hip replacement, and others didn't do resurfacings.  Then I found Dr. Su and HSS and that all changed. Best of luck
Matt-----LBHR 03/31/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)
             RBHR 12/04/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats