+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Small female with dysplasia- Dr. Gross is the only "yes" so far  (Read 3234 times)

Dessay

Hi all!

I'm a lurker who finally joined! I was diagnosed with mild-to-moderate dysplasia at age 38- totally shocked. I have cartilage wear on both sides (my MRI index numbers aren't great despite decent joint space- 387 on left and 420 on right) and two big cysts on my acetabulum on the right. Been to a few great PAO docs (Millis, Santore, LaReau) who say I'm borderline at best and that they couldn't guarantee a good outcome. And the PAO procedure is horrid with a brutal year recovery and tons of risks.

Dr. Gross thinks I'm an excellent candidate for HR, but Dr. Bose turned me down, mostly because of implant size. I have my films in to Dr. Su but haven't heard back yet.

I'll admit, I have my heart set on HR. At 41, I was resigned to a THR and sick about it. I know Dr. Gross is an expert, and I trust him, and my gut tells me he's my guy. When we talked on the phone, he answered all my questions, had really kind things to say about other top docs when I said I wanted other opinions, but he also had that "great surgeon sort of confidence" that I really liked and set me at ease! I talked with Nancy and set a date and I'm so excited!

Should I care that at this point, he's the only one telling me yes? He's super experienced and awesome, I know. But should I be wary that he might be the only one to take me on? The political climate for HR is so bad right now, and that may have a lot to do with things. I just want to make sure I'm not "projecting" the outcome I want, you know? Dr. Gross did say "excellent candidate," which delighted me!

So grateful for the group and the resource! Thanks!

Cara
Right Biomet Dr Gross 3/30/16  42mm

Comfortably Numb

Re: Small female with dysplasia- Dr. Gross is the only "yes" so far
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »
Before I retired, my boss use to tell me that my biggest problem was that I never learned to take YES for an answer.  For some reason, I felt compelled to argue on and on log after I had my answer = YES!

Someone is looking out for you because you have stumbled onto one of the best (if not the best) resurfacing surgeons.  He is particularly good with problem situations.  Take Yes for an answer and get on his schedule!
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

blinky

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
Interesting. I am surprised Bose turned you down due to the size of the implant. Doesn't he work on a lot of small women? Or does he use just the BHR, recently withdrawn in smaller sizes? I didn't consider going to India so didn't check that option out.

Did you try Dr Pritchett? He also still operates on women. IDK how comfortable he is with dysplasia patients. De Smet?

Dr Gross may well be the best choice. He may be the best choice even if the others had said yes. He has so much experience, especially with the tough cases. I do understand your concern, however. I may be in a similar situation: a (large) female dysplasia patient. I will touch base with you again after I speak with him and we can compare notes.

Did you set a date?

DeviceGuy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
Dessay,
Dr. Gross and team is an excellent choice for anyone and especially those recently shot down with the BHR debacle.  I had orthopedic friends tell me to get a total hip because a resurfacing would yield poor results.  I researched and found this site and found Dr. Gross.  Thank goodness!!!  Dr. Gross is confident but not cocky, and respectful but firm in his beliefs.  You just know you're in good hands once you talk to and meet the man.  Beyond that, the orthopedic hospital is just that, all orthopedics.  Hospitals are not healthy places to be in and Dr. Gross recognizes that and wants you out asap.  The staff at the hospital is phenominal.  His pain management, after surgery care, and guidelines in general, are first class.  He uses a minimal incision technique that on average is 4" in length.  That's a good thing for a woman who may be vain on the beach.  My first experience was so good I went back 4 months later for another go at it with the other hip.  It was an exact replica of the first visit.  So what he does is reproducable with positive predictable outcomes.  While nothing is 100%, the odds are very much in your favor having Dr. Gross do your surgery.
Best of luck and take his "yes" to you as a gift.
L-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 12/14
R-Hip Biomet U/C, Gross, MD & Webb, NP; 04/15

Juno

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
Dr. Gross does not use the BHR which has just been banned from use in smaller sizes -- which most of us women need. That is why he is able to perform your surgery.  Check out the other surgeons to see what type of device they use --- if it's BHR they will not do your surgery. That said, as a small woman (5'4" and 120 lbs) with dysplasia, he resurfaced both of my hips in 2013. It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I would highly recommend Dr. Gross and his staff -- Lee Webb is an excellent NP and is always by Dr. Gross' side.

I wish you all the best!!
Juno

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:25:44 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »
If you are looking at going abroad you may want to contact Dr De Smet.
The Hr he uses is also in 2mm increment sizes.
In the US I understand the sizes are 4mm steps.
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Dessay

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Thanks so much, everyone!

Blinky, yes, absolutely- let's touch base again. I think Dr. Bose uses the BHR exclusively, though I'm not entirely sure, so that may be the reason for the "no." My date is October 28th- Dr. Gross is on vacay for two weeks earlier in the month and Sept is already booked.

Indeed, I love to research and be sure of all my options, so I tend to argue even if I get a "yes" answer. I'm going to accept this for the gift it is and go ahead with it. I'm so grateful not to have THR and its limits as my only option. Even if HRA ends up just being a "bridge" to THR, hopefully I'll be into my 60s (and a more typical patient) when that happens. And as great as Dr. Gross is, I don't feel like I'm settling at all. So excited to finally have some power in this situation again! Dealing with chronic pain really sucks at your soul sometimes.

Thanks all- and will stay in touch. My consult in Columbia is August 11th, so I'll have more to report then.  :)

JHippy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:01 PM »
Cara, Dr. Gross is a brilliant surgeon. I'm not surprised that he'd say yes where others don't. And he will turn down patients, or will recommend alternatives, where he doesn't feel the outcome will be good. So if he feels you are an excellent candidate I'd feel confident in that. He's one of the very few that has a lot of experience with difficult cases.  As a young 41 year old woman it would be a shame to have to settle for a THR if that's not what you want. He's keenly aware of that and from what I know about him that's been a strong motivator for him to solve the underlying problems that make the surgery more risky in some groups of people. The problems you're facing (Dysplasia, smaller component size) are pretty much solved in his hands. His stats are great and he says his recent results with women are trending to be pretty much on par with the ideal male group. Do check around and explore your options, but you really couldn't be in better hands than Dr. Gross. Keep us posted!
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Dessay

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
Hi again, everyone!

Heard from Dr DeSMet- ANOTHER YES!!! He said not to wait too long because of the cysts on my socket. But he said I'd do great with resurfacing.

I have great insurance, so I don't see the need to go abroad, but I'm just so happy that another top doc said yes!!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »
Great, now you have another affirmative reply to put you at ease about this.  Part of the reason the Dr Bose said no could be because he uses the Birmingham Hip and Smith & Nephew are no longer using the small sizes.

Good luck with your surgery.  You will be feeling better soon and back to doing the things you love!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

blinky

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »
Hmm, you don't want a trip to Europe?

jk

Good to hear you got a confirming second opinion.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear