+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Theory for those who have struggled running...  (Read 3426 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Theory for those who have struggled running...
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
Hi everyone.  Dr. Gross did my right hip 3 1/2 years ago.  Like almost everyone here, best thing ever.

I haven't posted in....well....probably over a year, as I am living life.

I have been able to re-start everything in my life with the exception of running.  I bought the Hoka One One shoes.  I've done PT.  But, I can only run about 1/2 mile to 1 mile before I get a soreness in my groin, deep down.  If I keep pushing it - like I did in the spring when I ran a favorite old 5k trail - I was hobbling for a week afterwards.

So, fine.  I can do everything but run over 1/2 mile.

Today, I did the leg workout in the "Tapout XT2" DVD.  It amounted to 45 minutes of squats, jumping, burpees, etc.  About 10 minutes afterward, I took the dog for the morning walk.  About 1/2 way around the neighborhood, I decided to start jogging.  I ended up running almost a mile, with NO onset of the soreness. 

Now (sorry for the long post), I do have some residual weakness in the operated glute.  Certain stability exercises are harder on that leg.  I am wondering if I have some muscles on my operated side that - without some serious activation - just don't do their job.  So, when I just go out and run, I get sore because those muscles are just not working.  But, after 30 minutes of squatting, they have no choice but to start firing, and then they keep working during a run.

Thoughts?  I will be testing this over the next week or two, although it's hard to keep the motivation to run after 30-45 minutes of squatting......

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

blinky

Re: Theory for those who have struggled running...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »
I am no expert, but it sounds plausible. When I first sustained the injury that led me to a bad hip, I could feel my body shift from quad intensive running to hamstring ruled running. I felt my quads just fade away. The change messed me up long term as muscles that weren't supposed to make me go fast were recruited to do that job. I notice the problem now when I walk: to walk without pain, I recruit all kinds of non walking muscles. When I am very tired or when those muscles have been fatigued doing something else, I can't walk.

I am amazed that you can do so many squats, etc, and yet can't run.

Are you doing adductor/abductor work? Those have also become weak in me and I can feel their absence.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
I'm not currently doing any specific exercises.  I did over two months of twice-weekly PT, where I did TONS of adductor, abductor, glute, etc. exercises.  Never had much impact on the running.

So, I'm not overly hopeful that this theory will work, but a little hopeful.  I do think it has more to do with the proximity of the running to the squats.

I will post again with results.

Andy
Andy

BOILER UP!

BAM

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
Hi, Andy -- I'm 8 months post-op on the second hip; gave up running in June 2013 when the pain just got too bad and my form was awful like others have said.  Started running again May 2015 and immediately slammed up against a whole bunch of muscles that had no idea what they were supposed to do!  I called up our local high school cross country coach and had him come and run with me several times correcting my form, which helped immensely.  I also hit up my awesome personal trainer who saved my sanity pre-op and had her design me running-muscle specific programs.  That has made a huge difference.  I never had specific deep pain like you're having, but definitely had muscle atrophy and the wrong muscles doing the work. 

Find a good coach and I bet you'll be back fast. I did a 6-mile trail race last weekend which was AWESOME.  There are still muscles re-learning, but it's better every day.   

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »
Interesting.......

So was the cross country coach also, by chance, a physiology grad?  Just curious.  I suppose it could be running form contributing.  I hadn't thought about it.  I've never been a hard-core runner, but enjoyed the 3-4 mile run 2-3x per week.

I will look into that (but not during cross country season.....I'm sure he is too busy).

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

Andy
Andy

BOILER UP!

BAM

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:45:20 PM »
Andy -- he's got a B.S. in Sports Medicine and locally is the 'go to' guy for running form problems or suggestions.  I could feel my form was awful and my body was really battling itself, i.e., lots of wasted energy and odd strains/pulls.  He ran in front of me facing me, beside me, and behind me with just little tweaks, like widening my stance, rib cage position, etc. and the improvement was noticeable. I'm still re-training my brain that running (especially downhill) doesn't hurt anymore. 

What was interesting is that I had no such issues with returning to horseback riding, including jumping.  All those muscles fell right back into place with minimal effort -- although I had never quit riding so maybe that helped.  My classic English seat is better than ever and I'm riding a couple youngsters that have tried to give me a run for my money, i.e. dump my butt in the dirt, and have not yet succeeded. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear