+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sign McMinn's Petition to Smith & Nephew  (Read 3648 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Sign McMinn's Petition to Smith & Nephew
« on: July 29, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
Note:  I did send a copy of this post via email to all members of the discussion group.  If you don't agree, please ignore the email and I apologize.  Dr. Brooks asked me to start a petition, but I think letting Mr. McMinn lead the action is much better than trying myself. This is a very important issue for women and small men.   

Sign McMinn Center Petition to Smith & Nephew PLC: Reversal of decision to withdraw Birmingham Hip Resurfacing implants for women by clicking on link below:

https://www.change.org/p/smith-nephew-plc-reversal-of-decision-to-withdraw-birmingham-hip-resurfacing-implants-for-women-cfacc65d-7fcf-4816-879a-88d890915820?recruiter=349615452&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&rp_sharecordion_checklist=control

The McMinn Centre has been overwhelmed by contact from concerned male and female patients who are devastated by Smith & Nephew’s decision and its implications. Many of our female patients have stated that after successful BHR surgery with Mr McMinn, they were planning to have the same operation on their other hip when it became necessary. Now this is not possible due to Smith & Nephew's life-changing decision.

We propose to Smith & Nephew to re-consider their decision to remove smaller sized BHRs and instead, restrict the usage to experienced surgeons with successful results.

Your signature on this petition will endorse our proposal to Smith & Nephew and show your support for the many women who are being denied the benefits of the BHR. There are thousands of women whose total quality of life and activity levels can be restored with a Hip Resurfacing when carried out by an experienced surgeon.

Thank you for your support.
Derek McMinn MD FRCS
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon

Regards,
Patricia Walter
The Hip Talk About Hip Resurfacing Team.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:15:22 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moe

Re: Sign McMinn's Petition to Smith & Nephew
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »
Signed...Lets go people. Thanks Pat

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

JHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:44:35 AM »
Signed!
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:01:48 AM »
Done.  Thanks Pat, for putting it up.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

petemeads

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:58:17 AM »
Signed. Worried that the next thing might be age, as I will be 65 at least before my next hip is due. Or low BMI, or some other random reason why some people should be excluded.
What I can't understand is why NICE have any say in what happens outside the NHS, surely private practice operations should be nobodies business but the surgeon and the patient, with risk declared and accepted.

Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »
I signed yesterday and see now that the total number of signatures is around 850. However, maybe I should mention I have the Conserve Plus and it's working great so far.
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
Thanks to all who are signing the petition.

Tim - Thanks for signing.  I think it is important because other companies might be running scared, too.  That is basically why I think both the Conserve Plus and Cormet have been removed from the US market.  The Conserve Plus is available overseas.  Dr. De Smet especially likes it and has great results with it.  Again, it is doctor experience that determines outcomes much more than the device - in my opinion.

Thanks again to everyone.  Women should have an opportunity to choose what they want!  I have been fighting that since 1962 when I fought to get into Mechanical Engineering at Carnegie Tech.  I was the first woman in my jobs to be hired for engineering positions.  Jeez, we are back to that again????  Fighting for our rights.  Guess it really never ends   LOL

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

toby

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »
Signed and comment made- thanks for posting Pat. Just urging all our members to sign please.
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Juno

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Signed as well. Thank you!

Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone