+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: choosing a doctor  (Read 3735 times)

pfitz38

choosing a doctor
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
hello

i live in CT and was diagnosed a year ago that i need a bilateral hip replacement. i currently have pain in only my left so that is the one i am seeking a surgeon for.  i am 52 years old and very active and fit. i would like to do the hip resurfacing and thought i was going to book my date with the dr i visited today. he is highly regarded and has done thousands of replacements but only hundreds of resurfacing. he does everything through the anterior approach. i just watched a video by dr su at hss who said he does all his resurfacing through the side or back. i also read a disappointing post from a women who need dr su to fix a poor resurfacing by the same doc i saw today. i also have an appointment to see dr su but it is not until december. i really don't want to wait. can anybody share their experiences with resurfacing done anteriorly and any recommendations for ct docs. thanks peter

chuckm

Re: choosing a doctor
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
I'm from CT. Sounds like you could be talking about Dr. Keggi? He is probably the top guy in CT but still nowhere near someone like Dr. Su and does not have a hospital to work in like HSS.
I would wait for the top guy if I were you.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

pfitz38

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »
thank you chuck. you are correct.  was your done through the front or back.

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:16:01 PM »
Mine was done posterior approach. "From the back" only refers to the back of the hip capsule. The incision to get there is on the side of my hip vertically just behind where you feel your hip.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

JHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
I don't know anything about the doc you mentioned but I'd choose the surgeon before the convenience of locale and timing.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
I know it's hard to contemplate the wait, but you want results, not speed.

After you're done with the surgery, your resurfacing will live (hopefully) for the rest of your life, so why not wait for the best in your area. You want to increase your chances of survival for the implant.

I understand the impatience, I had to wait about the same amount of time, 4-5 months for my first (had the second three months after the first).

You're in for the long haul, just get ready for the surgery, get as much info as you can and your Dr. Su appointment will come quickly enough.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:11:18 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Saf57

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »
You may want to consider Dr. Scott Marwin in NYC. He's doing my surgery a week from today, and I believe you could get an appointment with him fairly soon.

blinky

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:53:49 PM »
You probably did this already, but be sure and search the forum for past accounts of anterior HRs. There are a few, but they are several years old.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »
Dr Marwin uses a ''direct lateral'' approach where he doesn't have to disconnect the muscles.  He told me that he first learned the ''posterior'' approach and when he learned direct lateral, it solved all of the problems with the surgery.  I and several other runner patients have had a much easier time with the recovery than the other runners I know who went uptown and waited for the posterior approach.

I am approaching my four year anniversary, I ran 6 miles this morning and I'm an old guy.  If I didn't have two large scars on the sides of my butt, I wouldn't even know that I ever had surgery.  Search for my old posts and you will see that my surgery and recovery has been like a miracle. 
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
Saf57, best of luck with your upcoming surgery.  Give a kiss to all the nurses and therapists at NYU for me.  I was at the old hospital but the staff really made it into a very good experience.  I was bilateral and stayed at Rusk for PT.  I walked out of there on the ninth day using just one cane and it has been great ever since.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Saf57

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »
Woodstock, thanks for your well wishes. I was there yesterday for pre-op testing, and they seem to run a tight ship. This is my second resurfacing--I was part of the original FDA trials with Dr. Gross. So, now I'll have two, 13 years apart.

HowieF-16

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
HR is a procedure that takes lots of practice to really do well. It is a documented fact that the more you perform, the better the patient outcomes. I sympathise with your desire to have the procedure performed ASAP, however there are several surgeons in your part of the country with 500, 1000 or more procedures under their belt. In your case, you may want to wait and increase your chances of a better outcome. Good luck.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

Vinman

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 12:22:28 AM »
Pfitz38 you are fortunate to be close enough to NYC to get in to see Dr. Su.  He did my hip and is outstanding.  No matter who you choose you new a Dr. who has done a huge number of these which Dr. Su has.  Also HSS is outstanding and has infection protocols that other hospitals do not.  Be patient.  I was in pain as well and know it is frustrating but the wait will be worth it to get an opinion one of the best of the best.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:24:26 AM by Vinman »

pfitz38

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 06:02:39 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions and insight. I am going to wait for Dr Su. So glad I inquired. Nothing speaks like first handexperience.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear