+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Pre OP with Dr. Gross  (Read 1632 times)

Kingrob

Pre OP with Dr. Gross
« on: August 29, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
I have my surgery date 11/25/15 with DR. Gross for my RT HR. Some information that would have helped me. First, the initial point of contact is the administrative secretary not Nancy or Lee. You need to go to his office web page and print out a package with some paperwork that you need to fill out along with a script to get some X-RAY's. The paperwork is just the basic stuff about your medical history and insurance. The X-RAY was a little more difficult. I scheduled my apt for the X-RAY at a place where I had MRI's and X-RAY's done before. When I got there and they read the script they could not figure out what one of the X-RAY's was calling for. They actually had to get a manual out and look it up - I think it is called a Johnson Lateral. After looking it up they said they could not do it there because their machine could not move to get the angle required. They said it could only be done at a hospital. I went to the nearest hospital at 6:00 AM the next day to get it done as a walk in. They would not take Dr. Gross's script because he was out of state. You have to practice at the hospital in order for them to honor a script. They told me some of the hospitals I could get it done at. I finally did get it done but the X-RAY tech who has been doing the job for 20 years never heard of that X-RAY either and had to look it up. She was really nice and took some extra ones just to make sure she got what he needed. I was finally able to mail the package in to be evaluated and get my OP date.

It took a little over two weeks to hear from DR. Gross after they received the package that I was a candidate for the procedure. It took another 3 weeks to hear back from his office to schedule the surgery. I took the first date available - the day before Thanksgiving. It could have been on Thanksgiving and I would have taken it. They sent me another package after my date was booked to get a chest X-RAY, EKG, and blood work. I got the chest X-RAY and EKG done yesterday with no problem. Dr. Gross wants the paper printout of the EKG. They will mail a copy to my Primary Care Dr., and they were nice enough to print a copy for me to have just in case. I will get the blood work done next week. I also got a script in the mail from his office for Flomax. It looks like I will need to take this 7 days before and after the surgery. I hope I do not have any problems filling the script. I will try to fill it well in advance in case I do have problems.

My surgery is on a Wednesday and he wants me in town on Monday. I have a pre-op appointment on Tuesday where it appears they will do a bone scan. The results of the bone scan will also determine the protocol for your post-op. I am already trying to prepare for the surgery. I have dropped almost 15 pounds and am down to 205Lbs - I have not been at this weight in almost 10 years. So now I just need to get the blood work done, fill the script, and finalize my plans for getting to SC and back home. After that it will be hurry up and wait for 11/25.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:18:54 PM by Kingrob »

blinky

Re: Pre OP with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
Oy! Thanks for posting your PreOp story. Always good to be prepared for the potential issues.

So the bone scan is a DEXA? To check for bone density? Or something else? I had a Dexa here, which is not in SC, and there were some initial issues with the right info being sent. The correct tests were done, but not everything was sent. It did all work out.

surfhippy

Re: Pre OP with Dr. Gross
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
I drove up for my pre op weeks before my surgery, so all I had my gp do was blood work and chest x-ray. Dr. Gross will want x-rays around 3 months post op as well. I had a hard time finding someone local to do my johnson lateral, but found a smart tech that pulled it off with the normal equipment. He's a busy man, and for good reason. It's worth the wait to get the best in my opinion. I'm 5 months post op and feel great. Be patient and going into the surgery in good shape will help your recovery. Good luck!
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Statcounter

View My Stats