+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 months post left hiip  (Read 2689 times)

woldaudio

5 months post left hiip
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »
To my fellow hippies,
Today is 5 months post left hip and 4 years post right hip. Jogged 4 miles today and did a moderate leg work out in the gym yesterday. Had right shoulder done 2 months ago and that is holding me back from going heavy on squats. I can't get a good grip on the bar. But no pain or restrictions on the leg machines. Of note, the left hip is not "clunking" as the right did for a few years after the surgery.  For the record I am 68 years of age. Most docs at my age want you to go total but I went with BHR.
woldaudio

oldsoccerplayer

Re: 5 months post left hiip
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing, especially disclosing your age. I'm 60 and feel like the right hip is beginning to deteriorate. It may be another year or two before I'm ready to go under the knife again and was wondering what the upper age limit might be. Your experience is very encouraging.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing, especially disclosing your age. I'm 60 and feel like the right hip is beginning to deteriorate. It may be another year or two before I'm ready to go under the knife again and was wondering what the upper age limit might be. Your experience is very encouraging.

OSP, Dr. Gross accepted me for resurfacing at age 67.  I am exactly 4 months post-op and doing well.  He did not appear to be concerned with my age.  I had a bone scan done when I first met with him at age 64 to confirm that I was a good candidate, and then another right before surgery. The results of both were excellent and placed me on his "fast track" for recovery.  I can't imagine that you will have any problems when you go for round two.

I was experiencing groin pain after daily walking when I first went to see Dr. Gross.  I was not quite "bone-on-bone" at that point, and he recommended that I wait.  Said he didn't think I'd be satisfied with the outcome (until I was suffering a little more [my interpretation]).  I waited 2-3 years, took another injection, and then pulled the trigger when the second injection didn't last as long as the first.

Unfortunately, by that time I had passed age 65 and was on Medicare. Since Dr. Gross doesn't accept Medicare, I paid him and Lee Web out of pocket for their services.  The hospital was completely covered, so I didn't come out too badly.

I would recommend that you keep the Medicare issue in mind so that you allow enough time to get in under the wire when/if you decide to go forward.  You might want to schedule an office visit in the near future for xrays and a bone scan so you'll know where you stand physically. 
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about that and I really don't want to pay out of pocket!
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

shoraztri

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 12:42:21 AM »
Hi Oldsoccerplayer,
I had LHBR at age 62ys. My joint was pretty well "knackered" , basically bone on bone, and should have had surgery years ago!!, but didn't. I was lucky enough to just pass the X Ray tests and have a brilliant Surgeon. I think if everything shows up good on an Xray, then age does not play a huge roll.
Good Luck for the future.
Cheers. ;) ;D [size=78%] [/size]
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear