+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How swollen afterwards?  (Read 4154 times)

blinky

How swollen afterwards?
« on: August 31, 2015, 01:04:08 PM »
How swollen will I be afterwards? Will my feet fit in my shoes? Should I wear a size larger pants?

Any tips on how to dress for the plane ride home? Underwear ideas for a woman? Boxers? Granny panties? Commando?

Thanks!

Juno

Re: How swollen afterwards?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
Blinky -- how swollen you are will depend on a lot of factors and mostly just how your body responds. I was pretty darn swollen in the hip, buttock and thigh for a few weeks. I wore men's small sized boxer shorts for about a week and to sleep in. (I'm not a big woman -- 5'4"" 120 pounds) and even this small felt a bit snug for a day or two. During the day I wore loose pj bottoms and sweats. I was back in my regular sized pants in about 2 weeks or so. My foot and calf really didn't swell much, but I was black and blue down to the calf area. The sweeping peaked on about day 5 post op.

Wear loose, comfy clothes for the plan ride. Once I got home (we drove three hours home from Columbia), I basically stayed in my loose PJ bottoms all day.

I hope that helps.
Juno
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

JHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »
On my plane ride a stewardess was nice enough  put together an ice bag for me, using trash bags I think. Made all the difference.

I wore sweatpants exclusively after surgery. Much easier IMO.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Paul_D

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
Hi Blinky, I had very little swelling after both operations (5 days apart) and I only experienced swelling in the feet (mainly left) only after a long walk in the first 5-8 days after the last operation. I did not use any ice and went to bed with feet elevated (on a pillow) and woke in the mornings with the swelling gone. I did'nt have any further swelling after these days and my walking also had increased in distance.

L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

lori.36

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
I am 8 days post op of Dr gross
My surgery was Friday
I flew home on Sunday
I wore a calf length skirt tulip style
Regular undies
And a Calvin t shirt
I used wheelchair assistance and took two planes, not the best day of my life, but also not the worst.

L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

blinky

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »
How is it on the other side? How did surgery go?

lori.36

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
Today I am at 14 days post op and having to take it easy.
I was going to hard on my PT of walking.  I started to walk with a cane and did 1.5 miles for three days and then my hip swelled.  I am waiting for it to go down in swelling again, I just over did it.

I am looking forward to a walk tomorrow with the kids to the park and see the horses.
It is hard for me to do nothing, I so want to go for my 1.5 mile walk, but having to sit still.

Overall I am doing really well, I cannot believe that I am on a cane as of 10 days post op.  I also could not believe that I could walk the distance.

The recovery is not bad, just make sure you have a good netflix or amazon on demand.  :o

November 1st will be here before you know it.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

JHippy

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »
Lori be careful not to overdo it. I know Dr. Gross' protocol is to gradually work up to 1-1.5 miles over the course of six weeks, so you probably shouldn't be doing more than half a mile at this point.
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Debcoco

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »
Blinky,

I bought a pair of Sketchers slip-on tennis shoes specifically for post-surgery....lifesaver for me.

Deb

RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

lori.36

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »
Jhippy, you are correct, I was overdoing it.  I have cut back and so has the swelling.
I am not taking a 1.5 mile walk any more, but over the a 1 mile walk.
Doing really well and very thankful, that I was able to go to dr gross.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

rickrefs

• You tell me which one you would rather have
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »
My Navy surgeon (Dr CMDR Ed Lambert) gave some great advice for recovery for first 6-months with basic, not aggressive physical therapy.  "If you are walking and you can stand, then stand.  If you are standing and you can sit, then sit.  If you are sitting and you can lie down, then lie down.  If you are awake and you can sleep, then sleep."  "Recovery is a marathon not a sprint."  Your bones need to literally "grow" into your BHR devices, so let your bones heal before you start maximum performing and stressing them with full athletic activity, this does not mean no activity of course.  I often tell my friends now that I am healed with a BHR.  No maintenance drugs, no pain, no restrictions on my movement or activities and I am sleeping again.  WOW.  Take it easy and let your body heal and be happy to walk, run, skate, hike, climb, ride, etc as your body allows you, but do it slowly at first and take some time to heal before you get back to full activity.  Any hoo, take it easy and listen to your body.  If you are swelling beyond initial surgery swelling, and there is subsequent swelling after the surgery swelling has gone down, then that is your body's response to new or additional trauma. I wish you a full and complete recovery.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:24:03 AM by rickrefs »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat