+-

Author Topic: 3 mos post op with back pain  (Read 2119 times)

nbb

3 mos post op with back pain
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
We all seem to have a unique story that has led us to a resurfacing, in my case a right BHR now 3 months back.  Prior to that I tried for years and 4 scopes with the best hip surgeon in Colorado to save my hip.  He was great, problem is my hip was beyond saving after the 2nd scope and it turned into 4 scope surgeries in 4 years, countless injections, flexor strains and what added up to over 12 months on crutches.  That was before the BHR.
[/size]
[/size]It all took a toll, physically, to spend all that time post-op, in pain, and actively rehabbing.   My expectations for this BHR were guarded in that I was/am certain it will take much longer than the average person to fully recover.  At 3 months out my hip pain is gone. I am so thankful for that.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Unfortunately I had an inexperienced PT recommend a shoe lift, which I used for 3 weeks. Why I listened, I'll never know ;-)  It has been well over a month since I removed the lift permanently.  However, I am left with crazy back pain, the kind that keeps you hunched over wincing as you straighten up.  The qualifed PT thinks that the lift effect has nothing to do with it now.  He has successfully dry needled my back muscles with good response. I also regularly get A.R.T. on my hip because the pectineus (small abductor) is tight as a drum.   Oh and my glute med and glute max have been enjoying their extended vacation.  I have a noticeable, but improving, hip drop that keeps me on a cane about 50% of the time.  It's getting better but not without daily work and biking....and needling and A.R.T.
[/size]
[/size]I'm not sure if anyone can relate to my woes and my history is not likely shared by many.  It could all be that 5 major surgeries on one hip in 5 years is just going to take lots of twists and turns and lots of time.  A marathon runner I am no longer, but I'm ok with that, just would like to wake up on the morning and feel 46 not 86 :)
[/size]
[/size]A happy pep talk quote could even help at this point!!  It could always be worse is pretty much my mantra...in all seriousness.
[/size]

blinky

Re: 3 mos post op with back pain
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 04:33:25 PM »
No first hand experience just yet, but I can offer a pep talk.

You are just three months out, so your hip still has a lot of recovering and healing to do. The bone is at a high degree of strength but not 100% yet. And those poor muscles and tendons! They were cut and stretched and are still recovering.

Stay the course. People here report progress through the first two years.

nbb

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
Thank you Blinky. I appreciate the perspective. 

I have another question.  My Dr. has given me the green light to do everything...gradually but nothing is off the table.  I forgot to ask at that visit 2 weeks back about fracture risk.  Your comment about strength made me think about it.

Don't most surgeons say to wait 6-12 months before resuming things like jumping or running because of fracture risk?  Regardless, it seems prudent to me to wait that long for vigorous impact activities.  Would you agree?  I've already been biking and hiking 2-3 miles without issue but wonder about longer hikes until I am further out.

blinky

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 06:41:13 PM »
From what I read, there is a lot of variety in what docs release you to do. Some let you off the leash at three months, others six, a few twelve. I am with you, to wait until six months to let loose. If I still feel a lot of niggles, I hope I can wait longer. I had read there was still a strong fracture risk until six months, too.

toby

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »
Hi there,
Having absorbed your posts, my feelings are that your hips, spinal region and associated soft tissues have experienced considerable adjustment following surgical intervention, rehabilation and periods of inactivity and decline. Now that you have your hip properly aligned, if you re - learn to walk properly, re-develop good posture ( which your new hip will allow you to do for the first time in many years), introduce a gradual developmental stretching, strengthening programme and re activate correct muscle and movement patterns etc then eventually you will find your less strain occurring in back. Sure happened for me after years of back problems pre surgery!
Best
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats