+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: "mixed (up) hips"  (Read 4151 times)

Debcoco

"mixed (up) hips"
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
Looks like I'm a statistic as far as being female and not having access to a BHR with my local Dr. I had my RBHR in Dec 2013 and as far as I can tell, it was a textbook operation/recovery. Just the classic occasional groin pains and twinges.  It feels like it's always been a part of me.

Now the time has come for my left hip and at my appointment this week, my ortho Dr notified me he no longer can perform BHR on females even tho he and I agree how awesome resurfacing is.  I'm so glad I've been reading this site which prepared me for the news.  Due to my personal situation (not being able to travel) I'm pretty much heading to a THR.  Thankfully Pat and this website have a great section of THR articles/discussion so I'll be visiting that site as I begin my research. Since this was my initial visit, my Dr discussed different options such as anterior approach that we'll discuss as time draws near. I still have several months to read and figure out what he and I both think will work best.

Who would have thought less than 2 yrs ago the BHR would not be available for women?  Just FYI...I'm 5'8" and not small boned.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:10:12 PM by Debcoco »
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

blinky

Re: "mixed (up) hips"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
Aargh! How frustrating.

Please do post about what you choose and why. I am a woman about your size, i.e. not small, but I am able to travel to find HR. However, in figuring out what to do, I spoke to some local surgeons who do THR and at least one described the procedure and the device he would use in a way that sounded pretty good. The local OS would use an anterior approach and give me a shorter stemmed ceramic on poly implant. He didn't put any long term restrictions on me. He did warn of some temporary nerve damage from the anterior approach in some cases.

Anybody hear about the possibility of small BHRs coming back? Debcoco, do you have time to wait and see if the small devices come back?

Debcoco

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »
Hi Blinky,

I missed the call today from my ortho dr.  He told me he'd call once he received my new X-rays. So I have to wait and call him next week now.  Who knows, he may tell me I'm not ready (at least as far as insurance goes).  Right now I am having some marked pain when I bend the leg of my now bad hip/climbing stairs at work/some slight limping. Nothing compared to the shape I was in prior to my BHR.  I can still do some exercise, but I'm limited.  My thinking is since I know it will not get better to just go ahead and get it over with.  I wasn't aware there was a possibility of a small BHR...I'll ask my dr next visit.

I'll be 60 yrs old next year and I don't want to spend another year being restricted in any activities that I enjoy.

deb

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
Hi Debcoco,  just so we understand, you said your surgeon will no longer do BHR's on all females - not just smaller ones who fall into the small BHR sizes? You also mention that you are NOT small boned. Are you sure you could not be fitted with a BHR larger than 46mm?

Maybe you should see another surgeon or go see Dr. Gross?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

blinky

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »
I meant by small BHR that the smaller sizes might come back.

Debcoco

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 11:30:46 PM »
Hey Chuckm,
I believe his words were that the BHR was no longer available for women. He said there were some cases of small boned women and some instances of women with "soft bones" in which the BHR failed. He said in my case this didn't apply and that my x-rays show mine is right where it is supposed to be.  Thanks for the suggestion and just to be sure I will ask him about the larger BHR.

Blinky...thanks for the clarification.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat