+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Emergence of New Pain 4 Months Post-Op  (Read 3683 times)

Comfortably Numb

Emergence of New Pain 4 Months Post-Op
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
For nearly 4 months, I have had the most uneventful recovery imaginable. I was off all pain meds when I arrived home from the hospital, began walking unaided within a week, and have been walking 3 miles almost every day for about 3 months.  During this time I have experienced some groin pain, but nothing that would even require ibuprofen.

Ten days ago I noticed the emergence of deep pain directly beneath my scar area. The pain radiates down my leg all the way to the back of my calf and feels like a dull, aching strain.  No throbbing, just a persistent ache.  I had trouble sleeping after this first occurred, and then stopped walking for several days last week while I was out of town.  The pain pretty much disappeared.  Yesterday, I began walking again, doing PT, etc., and the pain has returned.  I just returned from my walk today, and the pain is pretty intense.

I have sent a message to my doctor's assistant about this.  In the meantime, I wondered if anyone has experienced the emergence of similar pain long after most pain had gone away.  I can't help but think I've tweeked something, and this makes me reluctant to push on.  The pain is tolerable, and maybe this is what PT is really all about--pushing on. 

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcomed.  Thanks.

Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

hernanu

Re: Emergence of New Pain 4 Months Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »
For nearly 4 months, I have had the most uneventful recovery imaginable. I was off all pain meds when I arrived home from the hospital, began walking unaided within a week, and have been walking 3 miles almost every day for about 3 months.  During this time I have experienced some groin pain, but nothing that would even require ibuprofen.

That's a nice stretch without problems.

[/size]

Ten days ago I noticed the emergence of deep pain directly beneath my scar area. The pain radiates down my leg all the way to the back of my calf and feels like a dull, aching strain.  No throbbing, just a persistent ache.  I had trouble sleeping after this first occurred, and then stopped walking for several days last week while I was out of town.  The pain pretty much disappeared.  Yesterday, I began walking again, doing PT, etc., and the pain has returned.  I just returned from my walk today, and the pain is pretty intense.
[/size]

Sounds like your body is sending you a message: time to take it easy until the pain is not an issue. I had several episodes like this, the last about a year ago with back muscles.

Trust your body. It sounds like you've pulled a muscle, or scar tissue is working itself out. But since I'm not a medical person, it's worth following up if it doesn't go away.

I have sent a message to my doctor's assistant about this.  In the meantime, I wondered if anyone has experienced the emergence of similar pain long after most pain had gone away.  I can't help but think I've tweeked something, and this makes me reluctant to push on.  The pain is tolerable, and maybe this is what PT is really all about--pushing on. 

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcomed.  Thanks.

This is a good thing to do. I used my doctor's office liberally during my recuperation on both hips. Remember that they are working for you, and you are your best advocate. Even if it's only to give you a clear mind, call them.

My first scare was at 9 months. I thought I was past the recuperation enough that I was out of the woods. I was walking up a slight hill and felt a sharp pain behind my left leg. It kept happening every step and attenuated over three weeks.

I called my doctor, they basically told me to come in if it persisted over a month. It went away and never returned. But I called several times over it. I have no problem calling them now, at five years.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Snowbound

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »
I had bilateral resurfacing with anterior approach in January. It sounds like you had posterior surgery, is that correct? Does the pain radiate from the outer hamstring/glute area down the back of the leg?

I have that, it started at around 6 months and got progressively worse as I did my rehab. I put a lot of focus on hamstring stretches thinking that it would help. (pre surgery I could only bend my knee up to a 90deg angle so I could hardly get my shoes on. I can now pull my knee almost into my chest).

What I eventually figured out is that the hamstring is being pulled tighter by my change is posture. I'm standing up straighter where before the surgery I had very tight hip flexors and my butt stuck out. This article helps explain the mechanics of it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/10-tips-to-relieve-hamstring-tightness

This makes sense for my situation. I go to the gym most days, walk the treadmill then do the weights. It aches when I work out. This week I played a couple of games of squash, 2 hours each time and it felt great. No pain and I had good movement. The difference is in squash you're in a crouched position a lot of the time, similar to how I used to stand.

The last few weeks I've been going for a weekly theraputic massage and that's helped a lot and I would highly recommend it. My leg muscles had been very tight.

I also had a cold and missed going to the gym for a week, and that also helped.

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 05:11:56 PM »
Yes, I had a posterior approach.  The incident I described obviously resulted from some (over) work I was doing that required me to bend over, get on my knees, stretch, get back up, etc., etc.  I recovered rather quickly after two or three days even though I was concerned enough to contact my doctor. 

I'm now a little over 6 months post-op and doing pretty well.  I don't stretch and exercise nearly as much as I should, but I'm not trying to return to or begin any type of serious athletic endeavor.  I'm happy being able to walk several miles without groin pain (for the most part). 

As most of you know, this is a slow recovery process that is full of surprises.  I can't count the times I've said, "as a result of my surgery, I traded groin pain for groin pain."  And then I forget for several days that I've even had surgery.  Then comes that familiar tweek that shoots through my groin reminding me that I'm probably 6 months away from full recovery.

Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

jd

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:11:03 PM »
So are things generally good again now? What did your doctor end up saying about it?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat