+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Walking  (Read 2657 times)

gasyz

Walking
« on: September 12, 2015, 04:29:23 AM »
Hi,this time last Saturday I was under Mr Treacy's knife at Birmingham having a rbhr.Came home on the Monday and all's going well,getting around the house ok on two crutches and occasionally on one (when I've got a cuppa tea in my other hand).only taking pain killers when needed and all in all feeling ok all things considered.My question is how far should I be walking, I don't want to over do it but would like to do as much as possible at this stage.
Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

oldsoccerplayer

Re: Walking
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »
Your surgeon might have guidelines but the rule of thumb is walk as much as you're comfortable with. I would suggest a short circular or back-and-forth route to start with so you're never too far from home. You don't want to walk until you get tired and then have to go back the same distance.
Once you have a feel for how far you can comfortably go you can get more adventurous.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Daytona Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
Hi,
I had my left hip done exactly 12 months ago in Birmingham and was there Thursday for the check up. I remember walking maybe 100yards or so in the first few days home. Then devised a small circular route of half a mile which I slowly increased the number of circuits of. In around 2 weeks I was walking 2 miles per day. But the main thing I did was listen to my body. If you over do it I think you will know, and then take it a little easier on your next walk.  Remember its not a race and everyone is different. Good luck  :)

Paul_D

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »
I am now over 6 weeks after bilateral resurfacing and I am still worried to walk long distances without both my crutches. With both crutches I have been walking up to 6km (could go further) and usually average 3km a day.

I find that without crutches I walk with a limp on my left leg (still) and I am worried if I dont use the crutches I will develop the wrong muscles and have this limp longer.

When should i drop these crutches? from your experiences? I have no pain when i do walk with or without.
L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
Paul,

Everyone recovers at their own pace, so i don't give much advice, even though I have been through the process twice. I will tell you that I learned to walk again after both surgeries by using the walking sticks I used to use for long distance hikes though the mountains of Colorado. Crutches are good for support, but they inhibit your return to a normal, natural walking gait. Walking sticks give you that support, while allowing more freedom of movement. Take your time with your recovery. The recovery itself is something to be enjoyed. Good luck to you.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »
Walk as long as it is comfortable. The tight feeling in the groin is normal.

You should put very little weight on the crutches if you can while walking with a normal gait. Gradually use the crutches less and less. If your left leg has a limp still, use them for the left leg only. Both crutches touch the ground with left leg. the right leg strides unaided. When using crutches you have use your legs to carry more and more of the load by pushing your heel down and then back like a normal stride. Then move to one crutch which will be on your right side. It will touch the ground when your left foot touches.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat